The 4 players

According to the chron they have till today to decide but there is no mention of kuqi. I picked my season ticket as well up today and I was about 50% sure I saw him from a distance. Don't quote me though

Edited by brad

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the three 'big' players we are after at least two were here last season. Very misleading from the club, as management are describing existing players (until 30th June anyway) as number one 'targets'

Edited by oafcprozac

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the three 'big' players we are after at least two were here last season. Very misleading from the club, as management are describing existing players (until 30th June anyway) as number one 'targets'

We need another 5/6 maybe even 7 in I'd say - let alone 3.

We need another 5/6 maybe even 7 in I'd say - let alone 3.

As it stands we need a LB, a CB, midfield cover, 2 wingers and another 2 strikers. Will we get them? Who knows? Plenty of time yet but yet again we will be putting our team together at the last minute, meaning the first 3/4 games will again be a write off.

Let the club say it how they want, we're a piddling little northern club and the way players contracts are even a renewal is a "big signing".

Every 0.00001p generated from a click on the official site is worth a dozen "Well I'm disappointed" moaning feckers.

According to the chron they have till today to decide but there is no mention of kuqi. I picked my season ticket as well up today and I was about 50% sure I saw him from a distance. Don't quote me though

Could have something to do with it being his decision whether or not he stays on the same contract terms as last season as opposed to us offering him a new deal.

Prozac. Just out of interest; how would you describe James Wesolowski's signing?

A mere contract renewal or a big signing?

I'm maybe a little different in my views but, for me, that was a big signing for us. We could have lost him. We didn't. We got him on a 2 year deal. Magic. Big signing.

If we manage to sign 1 or 2 players who were here last season; guessing you're alluding to maybe Simpson; maybe Reece Brown......then; heck - i'd say for a club like Latics; they'd be big signings.

Prozac. Just out of interest; how would you describe James Wesolowski's signing?

A mere contract renewal or a big signing?

I'm maybe a little different in my views but, for me, that was a big signing for us. We could have lost him. We didn't. We got him on a 2 year deal. Magic. Big signing.

If we manage to sign 1 or 2 players who were here last season; guessing you're alluding to maybe Simpson; maybe Reece Brown......then; heck - i'd say for a club like Latics; they'd be big signings.

I'm not criticising any renewal of contracts, but don't dress them up. Wesolowski is a key renewal IF we can get the bugger out on the meadow week in week out. It remains to be seen if we can. Of course any signing is a gamble to a degree but I don't simply toe the club's propaganda line. There may have been other interest in Wes, but would he have been offered a two year deal elsewhere after 3 broken legs, and severe shoulder damage? I don't think so.

I'd like to see us start signing a few that are being brought in to play week in week out. Brown and Taylor will not, simply because of their inexperience.

Taiwo woud be a good start….

I get the feeling though we are going to see more like Diamond and Wes, good players but ultimately crocks.

Having said that, that's how we managed to sign Stitch all those years ago….

Edited by oafcprozac

Fairy 'nuff.

With the way player contracts are nowadays; i class renewals as signings. And for me; As i said above; Wes is a big signing. I think his shoulder injury is behind him now; and to be honest; we've not had any issues with Wes from his precious leg breaks from earlier in his career

I'm probably in the minority but I'm really happy to date with the in's & out's. Connor Brown & Dan Taylor are exactly the types of signings we should be making IMO - young lads discarded by higher / bigger clubs. If PD and the club can be savvy and supplement these types of signings (IMO there will be more of the ilk of Brown & Taylor and rightly so) with one or 2 more 'seasoned' players (Tom Taiwo would fall into that bracket i'd say) then we'll be set.

PD isnt dumb. Corney isnt dumb. There will be one or 2 'big' signings; because there needs to be. We see it; they will too.

I think we're doing pretty well so far. I have faith we'll kick on from the steady start we've made to date.......and renewals or new signings; either or for me.

I suppose i'm just a bit old school, a signing is a new arrival, a new contract is simply a renewal in my book, but get what you say about the way things have gone. Almost like a draft system now with a helluva lot of players in L1 & 2 signing for a year.

As for the new signings so far in Taylor and Brown, I agree we should be sniffing round the bigger club's released lists and it's clear that PD had identified Taylor as a possibility.

Players like Platt and Beardsley were released all those years ago, we picked up Barrett and Warhurst for nominal fees and recently gems like Lee and Mellor from United's youth system.

I'd like to see us nick another Porter, Cisak or Stephens too, from the league below too. Although the chances of that depend on the cost of any compo. Add in talented loanees like White, Evina or Scapuzzi and we will be set.

However, do want to see an experienced defender and striker come in. Furman falls into the relatively experienced bracket now in his 4th full season (including his year at Bradford) and along with two new signings into the spine will help the kids no end. If only we could sign a Sheridan or Eyres….

Aye. A seasoned CB to come in and be 1st choice; with M'Voto & Tarky to battle for the other spot is a must IMO. Lining up with JYM and Tarky as 1st choice with Glen Belezika a back-up would be a worry.

Again a seasoned striker; but not a past-it type mind, is also a must. A 26/27 year old with a good number of 1st team games would be the ideal.

Lets wait and see what develops......

IIRC Kuqi's wife is due to give birth over the close season- I can see him being excluded from the 2 week deadline as it may well be dependent on the birth.

Personally I think that Kuqi's choice will be play for Oldham with his friend Paul, go back to Finland (is his wife Finnish does anyone know), or retire. Factor in his Dad's health and I personally think that it's right for Kuqi to be excluded from the 2 week deadline.

Actually, to really compete we need three more strikers, three wide players, one cm, a rb, two lbs and at least one centre back, if not two. That will give us 25-26 players, and that's not unreasonable.

Long way to go. Easier if Simpson and Morais sign, of course, but still a lot to do. Otherwise, we'll be papering over the cracks again. Is that more cost effective?

Actually, to really compete we need three more strikers, three wide players, one cm, a rb, two lbs and at least one centre back, if not two. That will give us 25-26 players, and that's not unreasonable.

Long way to go. Easier if Simpson and Morais sign, of course, but still a lot to do. Otherwise, we'll be papering over the cracks again. Is that more cost effective?

Actually, personally, 25-26 players is a bit unreasonable (unless you loan out a lot of our youngsters). 25-26 players including short-term loanees is more than sufficient.

I wonder if a Neville Chamberlain style message will soon be coming from BP in relation to the ultimatum given to those left who have been offered terms.

"I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received".

I wonder if a Neville Chamberlain style message will soon be coming from BP in relation to the ultimatum given to those left who have been offered terms.

So we're off against the Hun then?

Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fall, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, “This was their finest hour!”

Or we could just sign a few more players!