Looks a tidy player, did really well to create Simmo's goal tonight and his first half performance (faded in the second) was very good.

I think we should sign him, BUT........ I think we still need someone who is there to finish the end product!

We need a fox in the box type!

Looks a tidy player, did really well to create Simmo's goal tonight and his first half performance (faded in the second) was very good.

I think we should sign him, BUT........ I think we still need someone who is there to finish the end product!

agreed

Based on what I've seen he will be a major handful for league one defenders. Left winger is the main priority for me.

agreed

Based on what I've seen he will be a major handful for league one defenders. Left winger is the main priority for me.

Do you know what, after watching closely tonight, I now don't think it is.

M'Changama didn't play a typical winger role tonight, as I didn't expect he would (being a CM as he is), but by doing what he did all the time he was on - keeping his position, keeping the shape, working hard both forward & backwards and, importantly for me, tucking inside a lot when defending / closing down - we looked very solid and organised in midfield.

A la Allessandra (& Jones also) in 2010-2011, having non-wingers across the midfield wide positions made us look a better team. I thought tonight showed that.

I'd be more than happy to keep it as it was. Youssef on the left, Croft on the right with Furman & Wes in the middle.

If you need to change it for whatever reason, we do have an 'old-school' winger on the bench in Hughes. Granted an inexperienced one albeit, but he shows promised and he is an option IMO for this season. Millar or Winchester gives cover on the right side too.

I'd be in no rush for that left side - use the money for the striker*

.* I'd sign Trialist A tomorrow morning, impressive.

It's seems likely to me that the ones to produce the end product will be the likes of Simpson, Croft, Furman, M'Changama, etc. whereby we'll be looking for a better return from players breaking forward. The 'fox in the box' types that we'll have been looking at were Leon Clarke and Lee Hughes and though, on the basis that the management probably would have preferred them to sign, it's disappointing that deals weren't done you can't help but think that huge portions of our salary budget would be needed to get these types and there would still be a fair gamble on getting the required return.

Given the repeated run-outs ahead of Taylor & Smith it seems fair to say that PD must be confident of doing a deal for Trialist A and he must see him as being part of our intial set-up.

Do you know what, after watching closely tonight, I now don't think it is.

M'Changama didn't play a typical winger role tonight, as I didn't expect he would (being a CM as he is), but by doing what he did all the time he was on - keeping his position, keeping the shape, working hard both forward & backwards and, importantly for me, tucking inside a lot when defending / closing down - we looked very solid and organised in midfield.

A la Allessandra (& Jones also) in 2010-2011, having non-wingers across the midfield wide positions made us look a better team. I thought tonight showed that.

I'd be more than happy to keep it as it was. Youssef on the left, Croft on the right with Furman & Wes in the middle.

If you need to change it for whatever reason, we do have an 'old-school' winger on the bench in Hughes. Granted an inexperienced one albeit, but he shows promised and he is an option IMO for this season. Millar or Winchester gives cover on the right side too.

I'd be in no rush for that left side - use the money for the striker*

.* I'd sign Trialist A tomorrow morning, impressive.

Disagree with you on needing a left winger.

Think we need one, perhaps not a flair one like Morais but we do need someone, ideally with pace and a half decent cross. Failing that I'd like to see Mellor given a go there as he's a good crosser of the ball, and can make us more organised in midfield by tucking in when defending etc.

Agree about the Trialist though. Worth a deal.

The only problem i have with this is what happened last season with that Fernandez. I dont wana be playin Rui in all these games if he will just disappear next week.

On topic, i would sign him tomorrow! Seems a real good player. Reminds me of Morais but less skill and a lot cleverer(seems to have a footballing brain.

I dont buy into this we need a poacher ect, if we are winning and scoring then we dont. Having been to friendlies, with the football playing it seems goals will be spread around, not just 1 player ala Kuqi. If we stop scoring then we can always loan someone.

I would take this kid over Leon Clarke any day of the week. He looks to have good technical ability,worked hard off the ball,strong ( for his size) when holding up the ball and most importantly, linked well with Simpson. Made a nice change to see the two of them working for each other.

The only problem i have with this is what happened last season with that Fernandez. I dont wana be playin Rui in all these games if he will just disappear next week.

On topic, i would sign him tomorrow! Seems a real good player. Reminds me of Morais but less skill and a lot cleverer(seems to have a footballing brain.

I dont buy into this we need a poacher ect, if we are winning and scoring then we dont. Having been to friendlies, with the football playing it seems goals will be spread around, not just 1 player ala Kuqi. If we stop scoring then we can always loan someone.

THIS

And if we are not? Personally I'd rather have someone who is likely to nick a goal than someone who isn't. Even if we sign Miguel if he isn't a goalscorer - we will need one.

I said ages ago that natural goalscorers are a rare breed and be diffucult to get one in as they are in high demand always which is why they often have over the top wages demands

A goalscorer could be the difference between up to 8 places i would say if they preform which would pay for himself in getting us wins which puts bums on seats and prize money for postions end of the season

The key for me is getting everyone chipping in with goals around the midfield as well something lacked in really last season if we can get this right you can get away with it

I dont care if we have someone up top who is lazy as :censored: if he poaches a goal every other week and has 20 at the end of the season you cant win a game without scoring a goal!!

I've posted similar on this on the match thread, but I thought the very promising thing with Simpson and Rui Miguel last night was the fluid interchanging of positions between them. Miguel looks very comforatable in the #10 role, just as much as Simpson does - and Simpson was also operating at the head of the formation up top on quite a few occasions to good effect when Miguel dropped deep.

As a double act, they kept the City CB's and FB's fully 'entertained' and gave them a bit of a hard time with their movement.

On that showing (& the reports from Fleetwood) I think we need to sign him - as I see the partnership only getting better with more games together.

He would be a PD signing really, as he looks versitile and PD likes that, playing as the #10, at the head or I think he could do a very decent job out wide also.

I see what people mean when they've said that even if we sign Miguel we'll still need another striker - I get we're lacking a poacher on the face of it - but I think this pre-season has shown that the goals will be spread around a lot more than last season, Yousseff and Furman have 2 each, Smith 1, Simpson has 3 (or is it 4?), and a big one is we've had 2 defenders score from 2 corners too. If Rui Miguel comes in and, lets say plays a big chunk of this seasons games; say 40 - and by the close of the season has stats along the lines of 5 goals scored himself but also has 10 direct assists, then IMO he'll have been a very worthwhile signing…he does look the sort who will be creating chances for others with his movement and passing.

I hope we're not in for a Marc Fernandez situation though where game time has been to a player who then doesn't sign up. I hope Rui becomes a 'Tic sooner rather than later.

Edited by slystallone

Fernandez was under 23 though wasn't he, Rui Miguel is 28. If he is training here I would assume he's a free agent and given his age shouldn't cost a fee. However, his contract demands could still be an issue, but that's partially the point of an extended trial; as whilst he may have been one we were looking at signing, Dickov now should have a better idea on his value for money.

Would definitely sign him up - looks like what PD wants ('will run through brick walls') and if he keeps up his performance rate from yesterday, he'll become a popular player aswell..

Liked what I saw, hopefully not like morais in the sense that he puts the effort in when it comes to winning a contract, but I'd risk it

"If we stop scoring we can loan someone" - You make it sound so easy.

Basically what i meant was give them August and if it doesnt work we can always get someone on loan, or even a free agent. There is thousands looking for clubs so wont be that hard, especially near deadline day. We didnt get Kuqi til end of August.

Hope that makes it clearer for you.