if you were PD

I think it's crucial that we sign somebody before the season starts , I haven't seen much to suggest Daniel taylor will be good enough to lead the line yet and mchangama is no left winger. I don't believe that the Leon Clarke deal is completely off as he is way down the pecking order at Charlton and they will want his wage of their books , as for left winger I'm unsure , Danny jones has been mentioned but he as a million times better at lb than lw ,I just hope when corney says we're after loanees he means out of favour players rather than premier league youngsters.

Eh?

What?

Danny Jones is one of the most over-rated players I can remember playing for us in a good while. Quite why some on here hold him in such high regard is beyond me - he's an awful LB; he can't defend and is out f position too much as he constantly wants to be at LM. When you ply him at LM, he's nt there; as he's too deep; almost playing as the 2nd LB. He doesn't know what he wants to be; and neither to his team-mates.

Strange that some rate him so highly; I thought he was disappointing

Seems to me to be crying out for 5-3-1-1 with the players we have at the minute. Granted it would never happen but it seems it would make sense.

Byrne Tarky Mvoto

Croft. Grounds as wingbacks

Furman Wes Machangama

Simpson

Taylor

Could be very solid without many goals though....... Very familiar!

#thankgoodnessyourenotourmanager

Connor Borown was a revelation at RB, him and Croft hit it off yet Byrne comes in and plays RB, pissing about for the sake of it imo. Get Byrne alongside M'Voto with Tarky as back up.

As for the striker situation, what chance do Smith and Taylor have when they're barely getting 45 minutes each in favour of triallists who then are well out of our reach? Smith has barely played in the last few friendlies and I can see him at least going out on loan.

Heard disturbing news this morning (from albeit an unreliable source) that Hughes is actually staying locally and a deal could be back on. I've also heard the clarke deal isn't dead but depends on Charlton's targets coming off. If that happens they will lower their demands, as Clarke is happy with the deal we have offered. At present Charlton want rid, we want a loan deal.

Agree with all that.

Dickov seems to have hatched a Plan A and be flogging it until it sort of works, but again there seems to be no Plan B. I thought friendlies were supposed to be an opportunity to get everyone in the squad match-fit and try a number of different match tactics?

Agree with all that.

Dickov seems to have hatched a Plan A and be flogging it until it sort of works, but again there seems to be no Plan B. I thought friendlies were supposed to be an opportunity to get everyone in the squad match-fit and try a number of different match tactics?

Surely we've seen enough of Smith to know that he isn't up to it at this level?

Taylor hasn't played a minute of League football, would be asking a lot of the lad for him to start the season as our main striker, hence the interest in Clarke.

Agree with all that.

They have been though?

3 x 30min mini games have happened against Rotherham and Hull. It was said they were all about getting all the players involved and also a chance to try out some different formations and tactics.

Add into that the games against Citeh & Hudds that were always going to about getting PD' 1st choice team game-time against higher opposition....

I dont see the problem?

They have been though?

3 x 30min mini games have happened against Rotherham and Hull. It was said they were all about getting all the players involved and also a chance to try out some different formations and tactics.

Add into that the games against Citeh & Hudds that were always going to about getting PD' 1st choice team game-time against higher opposition....

I dont see the problem?

I'd just liked to have seen a bit of diversity in the tactics used for the Huddersfield and City games. I can just see our Plan B for this season, yet again, being bringing on Smith (or Taylor) and lumping the ball up to them when nothing else is working. I thought our two toughest pre-season games might have been an opportunity to try something a bit more sophisticated.

Edited by JoeP

Heard disturbing news this morning (from albeit an unreliable source) that Hughes is actually staying locally and a deal could be back on. I've also heard the clarke deal isn't dead but depends on Charlton's targets coming off. If that happens they will lower their demands, as Clarke is happy with the deal we have offered. At present Charlton want rid, we want a loan deal.

Posted on here about Hughes on here when all the rumours linking with him to return, he still owns a place in the area. That's from a guy who knows him.

I'd just liked to have seen a bit of diversity in the tactics used for the Huddersfield and City games. I can just see our Plan B for this season, yet again, being bringing on Smith (or Taylor) and lumping the ball up to them when nothing else is working. I thought our two toughest pre-season games might have been an opportunity to try something a bit more sophisticated.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it smiths knock down that setup Grounds winner against City?

For me Smith is an impact player from the bench, not a starter but a Plan B, its not sophisticated but soemtimes just having the option of having a big man in the team who we can fire the ball upto and he can cause problems just might make the difference in some games. I'm all for us getting it down passing the ball and getting the opposition to chase it but for me that should be Plan A wshen that doesn't work and it won't over 46 games then having the diversity to change our tactics is a good option to have.

Although I think we both agree we clearly need someone up there who can lead the line and I'm not sure about having Changama on the left perhaps someone who can offer us more going forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it smiths knock down that setup Grounds winner against City?

For me Smith is an impact player from the bench, not a starter but a Plan B, its not sophisticated but soemtimes just having the option of having a big man in the team who we can fire the ball upto and he can cause problems just might make the difference in some games. I'm all for us getting it down passing the ball and getting the opposition to chase it but for me that should be Plan A wshen that doesn't work and it won't over 46 games then having the diversity to change our tactics is a good option to have.

Teams will know from last season that this tactic is the only alternative we have in our locker. My point is it's a predictable Plan B, that's easy to defend against. Most centre backs in the league will cope with balls being lobbed into the box for better strikers than Smith. It didn't work for us last season and I can't see it working this time around.

However, we've got Smith in the squad for at least another season - I'd just like to see a new dimension to his game. It might work for the team and develop him as a player.

Connor Borown was a revelation at RB, him and Croft hit it off yet Byrne comes in and plays RB, pissing about for the sake of it imo. Get Byrne alongside M'Voto with Tarky as back up.

As for the striker situation, what chance do Smith and Taylor have when they're barely getting 45 minutes each in favour of triallists who then are well out of our reach? Smith has barely played in the last few friendlies and I can see him at least going out on loan.

when was brown a revelation?

I have never seen Smith come off the bench and do anything for us as a Plan B. He's a young player, he isn't going to develop being thrown on for the last 10-15 minutes of games. I am not convinced he will ever be up to League One standard, but he definitely isn't the answer as a Plan B!

For me Smith is an impact player from the bench, not a starter but a Plan B, its not sophisticated but soemtimes just having the option of having a big man in the team who we can fire the ball upto and he can cause problems just might make the difference in some games.

I don't mind having an option to go long, but Smith is crap witth his back to goal receiving hoofs

Just because you did,nt see it, it does not mean that it has not happened.

Smith came of the bench and scored a great header in the 2 - 1 win at Scunthorpe last season.

we're going over old ground here but the lad simply has not had a chance.

Brown being a revelation is perhaps the wrong word, but him and `croft looked to have a blossoming partnership down the right, now this is no slight on Byrne who has looked impressive but Brown's pace looked a real asset and in the games he has played Croft stayed much wider. Since Brown's omission Croft has increasingly been moving inside ala Taylor. I don't know whether it is coincidence or not?

As for Smith i'm sick of saying it, when he's played 15-20 games on the trot then we can write him off. BUT He has to push on this year and learn to head the ball DOWN! As for his impact, well I saw a very good header at Scunny that clinched the points, the goal which gave us breathing space at Orient and a decent all round display at Chesterfield on NYD, where he gave the Chesterfield defence a torrid time including bagging our equaliser. Inexplicably he was sacrificed after 70 minutes in favour of Kuqi and our threat disappeared. PD did this with Kelly, signed him talked him up and never bloody played him, if he's not going to play him why give him a two year deal?

Young Taylor looked out of his depth yesterday, but the service to him was mostly poor. For me he needs a goal in any form for the club. BUT I have mostl;y liked what I have seen from him. Hudds set out probably like they will do this season, try and keep the 0-0 they have and maybe nick a goal, as that's the Grayson way. If teams come here to play, if we can get the tempo up like at Fleetwood and City then we will mostly gain positive results. We definitely need that extra striker though...

You have to remember though PD sees Smith day in day out in training too. If he is not up to it on the training ground you can't justify throwing him in for 15-20 games to get a run in the team.

Smith has not looked like he has progressed at all, they have probably given him a 2 year deal in the hope that he would progress under professional coaching because he has the natural physique to be a real handful. Maybe he will push on this year maybe he wont, I don't hold out much hope for our chances if he gets such a long run in the team at this moment in time. I am pretty sure if he was ready PD would play him.

Like the rest of you I do think Smith does need to step up this season.

However I do think their is a role for him within the squad and I don't think we should write him off just yet. He's got a year left lets keep him here and not send him out on loan use him from the bench to start with if he makes a big enough impact lets start him a few times and if he's not progressed over the course of the year then we will get rid.

anyone reckon we should tempt Charlton with a loan move for the season for Evina as LW??

Great going foward and not had an inch of a look-in down there. I know he likes being down south but another loan move where he will get games yet still can go back to Charlton in may means he isn't moving up here long-term.

Edited by shefflatic

Agree with all that.

Strange triallist C never not any playing time at all, why was he here ?

Strange triallist C never not any playing time at all, why was he here ?

Did he look like the same as Trialist B on Tuesday?

Or was saturday's Trialist B the same as Tuesdays?

If is the same, then seems pointless being here since not been given any time..