Police presence last night

I think all those extra's for the City game that I never saw must have got their dates wrong.

I may be wrong but I don't recall any trouble when playing Wednesday, even after the promotion game. United, however is a totally different story, real scum bags.

I may be wrong but I don't recall any trouble when playing Wednesday, even after the promotion game. United, however is a totally different story, real scum bags.

A vile, vile set of people. The only support I've experienced at BP were I can honestly say the majority, rather than the minority, were scum.

The only reason there wasn't any trouble at the promotion game was because there had been MAJOR trouble at a game a few years earlier and the police had a big enough presence to prevent quite a few Wednesdayites getting far enough along the pitch to kick off with our pitch invasion. The coppers had about 10 horses on the pitch after that game finished- slightly silly as they could have driven a line of cars on if they had wanted.

even Leeds?!

we all hate Leeds scum!

Remember one game around 89/90 when the RRE had a barrier in front of it on the Lookers side and the Leeds Scum were like caged animals trying to get through the bars. think it was 3-1 to us with quite a big attendance

Edited by Keepingthe Faith

Yep I remember a group of them near the bottom towards the Main Stand side. They didn't get ejected though just led to the RRE.

They were quickly "encouraged" by Latics fans to leave the Chaddy once they were known to be in there. Some of them were relieved to be led to safety.

Reading some of the rubbish written by those that were at that game in 1980 reminds me how glad I am to be a football fan of the 2000s & not the '70s or '80s. Even now some seem to think it was perfectly acceptable.

For all the ills of the modern game you'll be hard pushed to convince me it's not much, much better.

Reading some of the rubbish written by those that were at that game in 1980 reminds me how glad I am to be a football fan of the 2000s & not the '70s or '80s. Even now some seem to think it was perfectly acceptable.

For all the ills of the modern game you'll be hard pushed to convince me it's not much, much better.

Depends what you mean by "the game".

The physical aspect of the game , in terms of challenges that were hard but fair , has gone making it a poorer spectacle. It's also typified by the seeming total lack of desire to play on anything but a carpet in perfect weather. Matches were thrilling on a muddy surface, it tested character as well as tip tap technique, and to a dinosaur like me that's an important part of football.

Depends what you mean by "the game".

The physical aspect of the game , in terms of challenges that were hard but fair , has gone making it a poorer spectacle. It's also typified by the seeming total lack of desire to play on anything but a carpet in perfect weather. Matches were thrilling on a muddy surface, it tested character as well as tip tap technique, and to a dinosaur like me that's an important part of football.

I mean the whole package, as you can't really separate on & off field issues.

I agree with you on the hard but fair challenges and to an extent the muddy surfaces but I wouldn't swap a safe environment for it.

I suspect you'll also agree that we lack hostile and partisan atmospheres at games today, but again it's the price to pay for safety.

The only reason there wasn't any trouble at the promotion game was because there had been MAJOR trouble at a game a few years earlier and the police had a big enough presence to prevent quite a few Wednesdayites getting far enough along the pitch to kick off with our pitch invasion. The coppers had about 10 horses on the pitch after that game finished- slightly silly as they could have driven a line of cars on if they had wanted.

I have obviously got a bad memory. Sorry chaps.

Wasn't at the game so couldn't say whether the police presence was OTT or not, but at the league game against them last December a sizeable minority of their fans behaved liked dickheads and invaded the pitch (as you do, at a league game before Christmas). The RRE bar was shut at HT and they were kept in at the end. I'd guess the increased police numbers might have been due to that.