Depressing article in the Independent

Good article but FFS... "Max Smith"? "the Lockers Stand?" Do broadsheet journalists not do any proofreading when they're covering the lower leagues?

Lazy journalism. I highlighted his mistakes in the comments section.

Even the devil that is Wikipedia would've helped him.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

Let's not get an inferiority complex over a couple of silly mistakes. We wouldn't be arsed if it was another club being covered and they misspelled a player's name.

No but the fans of that club would be. It just strikes me as lazy journalism; especially as Lookers weren't even the last sponsors of the Broadway stand IIRC

Possibly poor sub-editing rather than lazy journalism Anyway it doesn't detract from a decent article.

He's a profesional sports journalist for a national newspaper. If you're going to write an article on something you know little about/have no real interest in, you'd do your homework before submitting for publishing.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

He's only a profesional sports journalist for only a national newspaper.

If you're going to write an article on something you know little about/have no real interest in, you might do your homework before submitting for publishing, but you still get paid and don't get bollocked if you don't.

FIFY. By the way, it's "professional". Double s. See how easy it is?

Some interesting points confirmed by SC that previously have been mentioned, but not sure if quoted:

It will be our new main stand.

We need to average 7,000 to break even.

Dan Taylor ' I'm really glad I signed and I think I'm getting better'

What he should also be saying is give me a start gaffer.

Don't get hung up on the name inaccuracies, when did we last have an article covering 80% of a page in a Saturday national paper?

Edited by stevesidg

Simon Corney: "We have a council consultation process for a new stand that will have a gym, restaurants, conference and banqueting facilities," he said. "It is hard to raise the finance to do it, but it is important we do and that will be our new main stand."

"It will cost around £5m and the council have given us some money but a lot will come from private funding and then the new stand has to become self-funding."

Edited by Mark59

So, even though you know the article contains 2 inaccurate statements you are willing to believe all of the other "facts", including that it will be our new main stand and that we need 7,000 to break even. THAT is the problem with lazy journalism, who knows what to believe.

I remember many errors in the Oldham Chron Saturday Sports Final in the 1960s and 70s, a couple were;

"David Shaw scored in the 90th day".

"The Saddleworth batsman scored a double century, the first at the ground since 1066"

Some interesting points confirmed by SC that previously have been mentioned, but not sure if quoted:

It will be our new main stand.

We need to average 7,000 to break even.

Dan Taylor ' I'm really glad I signed and I think I'm getting better'

What he should also be saying is give me a start gaffer.

Don't get hung up on the name inaccuracies, when did we last have an article covering 80% of a page in a Saturday national paper?

If that's going to be our main stand, god help us!!!!

6,000 down to 4,500 = a £40,000 loss? Only at £27 a ticket, Simon.

As for kids being interested in Matt Smith. I'm a Latics fan and even I'm not interested in Matt Smith.

And I'm disappointed that our Chairman would say that the game at our level has been killed. Surely he, of all people, should be shouting about the positive aspects of lower-league football. Something I'm reasonably sure he can't wait to get away from.