marsh-brown

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Dickov that good as a player? Yes he worked hard but all I remember was a richer man's Paul Warne, run all day with not that many goals to show for it a guy who collected clubs and yellow cards.

More often than not he was sub.

Its looking like his managerial talent matches his minimal playing talen and no amount of hard work or connecting with the fans will make up for that IMO

-

My argument with Reid was that played correctly he'd get goals IMO he's not a target man and that's how we played him thus him not being in the box enough, now he's got Simpson in that role which is laughable.

Despite what a few on here think I think Smith has potential but he needs a run of games. Young Taylor is out of depth and not ready for League One football yet, he needs to toughen up. Slew is not the answer either IMHO

-

My argument with Reid was that played correctly he'd get goals IMO he's not a target man and that's how we played him thus him not being in the box enough, now he's got Simpson in that role which is laughable.

Despite what a few on here think I think Smith has potential but he needs a run of games. Young Taylor is out of depth and not ready for League One football yet, he needs to toughen up. Slew is not the answer either IMHO

-

I agree.

I was sat on the same table as reid and kmb at the end of season awards do. They was telling us that this club is run so badly from top to bottom, they said the chairmen as not clue how to run a football club and the manager and coaching staff don't know what they are doing. Reid said something along the line of "i know im not a great player and i struggle to lose weight after an injury but im far better player than the way im made to look in this team, you could messi in that team and he would struggle to score goals" he went on to say that the team talk was just telling the defenders to play it wide and then put the ball in the box from the half way line. He also said that he couldn't remember the last time one of our strikers received the ball to their feet inside the penalty area. At the time I just thought of it as two players that was bitter at not getting new contacts but when you look how they have started the season as well both doing well preseason and the way we are playing this season I think they had valid points.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I was sat on the same table as reid and kmb at the end of season awards do. They was telling us that this club is run so badly from top to bottom, they said the chairmen as not clue how to run a football club and the manager and coaching staff don't know what they are doing. Reid said something along the line of "i know im not a great player and i struggle to lose weight after an injury but im far better player than the way im made to look in this team, you could messi in that team and he would struggle to score goals" he went on to say that the team talk was just telling the defenders to play it wide and then put the ball in the box from the half way line. He also said that he couldn't remember the last time one of our strikers received the ball to their feet inside the penalty area. At the time I just thought of it as two players that was bitter at not getting new contacts but when you look how they have started the season as well both doing well preseason and the way we are playing this season I think they had valid points.

Sounds about right that.

Although thinking back to stuff that was said that night Reid also mentioned that he had always played cricket every pre season and picked up niggling injuries which he carried in to the season but he was going to give it a miss this preseason so he would be fitter for the start of he season. So maybe this a something to do with his form so far this season.

Two young men (neither over 23) who have no commercial or business experience pontificate on the chairman's ability to "run a football club".

Two young men (neither over 23) who have no commercial or business experience pontificate on the chairman's ability to "run a football club".

they had previously worked for other football clubs under other chairmen though

I haven't and I don't think you have so they're better qualified on the subject than us

I haven't and I don't think you have so they're better qualified on the subject than us

But if a couple of employees in another type of industry had worked for different companies, never being kept on, I don't think I'd use them as necessarily accurate analysts of what it takes to run such a company. They would see things from a narrow perspective .

I'm not holding SC up as a paragon but would certainly not take the views of two disgruntled soon to be ex-employees (again) as reliable on the ins and outs of running the business.

Len Shacketon summed it up in his autobiography. Entitled "Clown Prince of Soccer", the book famously contained a chapter headed: "The Average Director's Knowledge of Football".

At the foot of the now legendary empty page was a note reading "This chapter has deliberately been left blank in accordance with the author's wishes."

As administators seem to do a better job maybe every club should have one on the board of directors ?

Edited by BP1960

Not sure that Dickov deserves this scorn. Although he has struggled to turn things round when we struggle he has been in the hotseat when we have played some top class stuff.

First half versus Sheff Weds being a decent example.

We're in a bit of a mire but I don't think that makes him a fool.

Knowing how to cook is only part of running a restaurant business ....

"Profits at Gordon Ramsay's UK restaurants plunged nearly 90% in a "turbulent" year in which the celebrity chef was forced to pump his own money into the business.

Ramsay's latest company accounts show that the restaurant empire came close to the brink as revenues collapsed while debt and tax bills mounted up."

But neither have done, that well at a number of clubs they have played at either, so whilst there maybe some validity in what they say, they are not necessarily right