Brown looked very good couldn't see the incident from the away section it was all strange

Connor is my little brother. Glad he played well. Can somebody clarify this 'incident' was he involved? If so I will be giving him some ear ache later

Boy did we need that win. If Byrne was the wrong man, can Latics have it over turned and if so would Brown still get away with it.

King, according to our commentators your bro swung an elbow into a players face during some tugging. Sent the guy off doing the tugging and another one of our defenders.

Connor is my little brother. Glad he played well. Can somebody clarify this 'incident' was he involved? If so I will be giving him some ear ache later

The match exploded midway through the half when both sides were reduced to 10 men.

Jordan Obita was shown a straight red card for an elbow on Cliff Byrne who was also dismissed when the referee was alerted by the fourth official.

Check out sksysports website later, it'll be on there. Their strikers were always on the floor, especially with M'Voto getting an early yellow. Didn't look like Connor did much wrong from the away end, but we were miles away.

He actually played really well today - should make that place in the team his own if he keeps on like that.

I thought it was Byrne who "clashed" with their No.15. There was some afters so maybe Brown was involved there. Defo not sendings off afters though.

Still not sure but Connor said He was shielding the ball and their player grabbed hold of his arms so he swung it free and that's when te opposing player pushed him over and hit him on the head resulting in red card.

The fourth official called the ref over and Connor thought he may get booked for swinging his arm but he sent Byrne off for no reason apparently so maybe it can be overturned! Wasn't there so unsure but good win anyways, the staff and players were pumped in changing rooms after much needed win!

-

Check out sksysports website later, it'll be on there. Their strikers were always on the floor, especially with M'Voto getting an early yellow. Didn't look like Connor did much wrong from the away end, but we were miles away.

He actually played really well today - should make that place in the team his own if he keeps on like that.

Hopefully mate thanks for update

Pleasure. Hopefully you'll be able to get yourself to a game soon!

I'm his biggest fan came to few pre season games but because I work away at times missed wed and Walsall. I told him he would only make his league debut when I was there so was at Stevenage when he came on and will be at chesterfield and probably all home games. Portsmouth just a bit too far :)

Just got back.

Montano and Croft were running the show. They were immense combining twice to create 1-on-1's like a strike partnership and they continously ran past players and passing was excellent. (Croft actually looks to have a burst of pace). Man of the match is between them 2, it would be tough to decide.

Furman played the breaking up attack position perfectly. The amount of times that he dispossesed their players between our 18 yard box and the half way line was crucial and his passing when he got the ball was accurate, measured and clinical. He even did some tricks at the end whilst running down the clock. A sign of the confidence from a quality performance.

M'Voto was a rock in defence as always and accompanied by Jonathan Grounds who was solid and created the cross for the own goal, he overlapped and managed to cover defensively all the way through the game.

Smith up top was excellent when he came on. Won every header and knocked it down into very useful positions, a few times around the penalty spot where a poacher would most likely had capitalised.

The goal was lucky at the actual finishing but the passing before it was crisp and sharp. There must have been around 10-15 passes exchanged by Latics midfielders and strikers before the ball was played into Grounds running down the line. It was a different sort of passing to the first 2 home games. Instead of worthless passes around the back 4 that got us nowhere, all of the passes were done inside of Pompey's half, pressurising and frenzying their defence until a gap was created. It was the perfect passing, meaningful, attacking football that is beautiful to watch and brings rewards at the climax of it.

The sendings off. We were far away from the incident but for me it just looked like handbags, a few pushes exchanged between Connor Brown and their player, nothing more than a yellow each (I may be mistaken) and there was a mixed identity and so Cliff Byrne was sent off instead of Brown.

Also, the performance by the players on the pitched was almost matched by the travelling supporters. The noise created was brilliant. Nobody got on the players backs, all encouraged and sang throughout.

No player could be criticised properly because they were all superb. More of the same next week?

Just got back.

Montano and Croft were running the show. They were immense combining twice to create 1-on-1's like a strike partnership and they continously ran past players and passing was excellent. (Croft actually looks to have a burst of pace). Man of the match is between them 2, it would be tough to decide.

Furman played the breaking up attack position perfectly. The amount of times that he dispossesed their players between our 18 yard box and the half way line was crucial and his passing when he got the ball was accurate, measured and clinical. He even did some tricks at the end whilst running down the clock. A sign of the confidence from a quality performance.

M'Voto was a rock in defence as always and accompanied by Jonathan Grounds who was solid and created the cross for the own goal, he overlapped and managed to cover defensively all the way through the game.

Smith up top was excellent when he came on. Won every header and knocked it down into very useful positions, a few times around the penalty spot where a poacher would most likely had capitalised.

The goal was lucky at the actual finishing but the passing before it was crisp and sharp. There must have been around 10-15 passes exchanged by Latics midfielders and strikers before the ball was played into Grounds running down the line. It was a different sort of passing to the first 2 home games. Instead of worthless passes around the back 4 that got us nowhere, all of the passes were done inside of Pompey's half, pressurising and frenzying their defence until a gap was created. It was the perfect passing, meaningful, attacking football that is beautiful to watch and brings rewards at the climax of it.

The sendings off. We were far away from the incident but for me it just looked like handbags, a few pushes exchanged between Connor Brown and their player, nothing more than a yellow each (I may be mistaken) and there was a mixed identity and so Cliff Byrne was sent off instead of Brown.

Also, the performance by the players on the pitched was almost matched by the travelling supporters. The noise created was brilliant. Nobody got on the players backs, all encouraged and sang throughout.

No player could be criticised properly because they were all superb. More of the same next week?

thanks for the report sound good hopefully it will continue

Just back, not the greatest performance and we won a bit ugly but for the effort the players put in they deserved the 3 points.

Cisak - after a shaky start he was back to high standard he set last year.

Brown - has limitations but played well today and his pace is much needed in our backline. Has to start the next league game.

Byrne - barely noticeable until the red card (didn't even notice him doing anything for that!) but I doubt it's a coincidence that we looked more assured at the back with him at CB. One more thing, he is completely no nonsense! Hoofs the ball forward and ANY ball that puts him under pressure he puts in the stand. He may be limited but his decisiveness is badly needed.

Mvoto - has always been a beast but he's improved a lot since last year. On that performance he'll be in the Championship soon.

Grounds - solid, doesn't offer much going forward but I never felt worried that we'd concede down his side late on. Just to clarify, it was NEVER his goal!

Croft - obviously has talent but needs space to make the most of it. Will get better as the season goes on.

Furman - can see what people are saying about his sideways passing but he was brilliant defensively today, led by example.

M'Changama - battled well but didn't make much of an impact.

Montano - good performance, not the finished article but definitely not another Colbeck. Like Croft he'll improve as the season goes on.

Simpson - played OK, not anywhere near as influential as last year though.

Slew - didn't have much time before getting injured, but from Sheff Wed and bits of today my verdict is: not a hopeless cause but a work in progress and frankly shouldn't be our first choice this season. He'd develop well if he had a similar season to Adeyemi last year but at a different club, 3rd choice but filling in when needed. This loan won't benefit either us or him so if we have the option to terminate it then we should.

Subs:

Tarky - no mistakes and like the rest of the 2 lines of 4 he dealt well with the late push from Pompey.

Smith - he is what he is, a giant target man who wins nearly everything that's launch towards him, which makes him a nuisance for opponents to deal with. He may be limited on the ground but today proved that having him on the pitch takes pressure off us and puts pressure on opponents. The ref was VERY harsh on him today.

Other things:

Fans were brilliant, these away games in which we are hopelessly outnumbered bring out the best of us. What was the "sat on a swan" chant about though?? :grin:

Ref was OK in the 1st half but COMPLETELY lost control in the 2nd. Some awful, awful decisions.

Wish Pompey fans the best as they are a passionate bunch who create a very good atmosphere at Fratton, but personally I think they should start over. The difference between us and them is that with their fanbase and cult following they could rebuild and get back to this level asap, if we did the same 10 years ago we'd not get out of non-league. The clubs horrendous mismanagement should be punished.

My views on Dickov haven't drastically changed but today was a huge shot in the arm for him. We got the win but tactically Smith wasn't the right outlet when defending with 10 men, Montano or Croft would've given us the threat on the counter if played there. Still judging him after 10 games because if we go on another bad run before the 10 game mark that would be more damning IMO. He needs to show that he positively affects this team and today boosts his chances of doing that.

Finally if I was in charge I'd be happy to give the back 9 from today the time to develop (maybe switching Wes with Changy). My big changes would be up front. If we could send Slew back and spend a bit more cash to get a striker with League 1 pedigree then we really should, but the biggest thing for me is that Smith and Simpson don't work well together. Both are link players, Smith flicks the ball on in the air whereas Simpson sits deep and looks to create chances with through balls, he doesn't play well on the last man which is what Smith needs to play alongside. Honestly if I was to choose between the two at present, I'd choose Smith to start and partner him with Slew or preferably a new striker (off the top of my head Leon Clarke or Luke Rodgers would fit the bill), it's obvious Dickov doesn't think Taylor is ready. It'll encourage simple and in someways unattractive football but it would ease a lot of the pressure on us. Simpson's deep role is a luxury role IMO and he's currently not doing enough to show that he's integral to us.

All in all very happy with today, not sure when my next match is but if it's anything like today then I can't wait!

Onwards and Upwards!

Big result. Could hopefully help us pick a couple of wins up.

We were far from perfect. Yet again lapses in concentration and silly decision making leave us either in trouble, under pressure of ineffective in the final third.

However, we tried to pass. Croft and Montano impressed. But as a team I thought we were terrific. We finally showed some grit.

Cisak and M'Voto were outstanding. M'Voto has started the new season just as powerful but tight and tidy with the ball. Pleased for him. He'll have admirers should his form continue.

Chuffed to pieces. BUT we can do better. Which is promising IF we can bloody find it!

Happy for everyone. A lot of reilef poured out at FT. Thought our fans were superb too.

Also - thoughts on Montano's petulant and downright disrespectful kicking of the ball into the crowd.

I really wasn't impressed with that. He deserved flooring for it. When Ferdinand did it he thankfully apologised.

If I was Dickov I'd tear him limb from limb. I know he was clearing it but he was not thinking when he did that. Very disappointing. He was excellent bar that.