starting xi on tuesday v scunthorpe

Assuming nothing changes between now and then I think Cisak-Wabara-Byrne-Mvoto-Grounds should be the back five, unchanged midfield of Croft-Wesolowski-Furman-Montano and then I reckon Baxter and Derbyshire should start, its harsh on Simpson but he can't just play on merit and I haven't seen anything yet this season that makes me think he deserves to start. Simpson, Smith, Winchester, Mchangama, Taylor, Sutherland, Bouzanis bench.

Assuming nothing changes between now and then I think Cisak-Wabara-Byrne-Mvoto-Grounds should be the back five, unchanged midfield of Croft-Wesolowski-Furman-Montano and then I reckon Baxter and Derbyshire should start, its harsh on Simpson but he can't just play on merit and I haven't seen anything yet this season that makes me think he deserves to start. Simpson, Smith, Winchester, Mchangama, Taylor, Sutherland, Bouzanis bench.

I don't think it's too harsh on simpson - his performances of late don't warrant a starting spot. Time to get your head down robbie and graft your way back into the side.

we will never reach our full team potential with the players we have if we constantly have 2 static and ridgid central midfielders!!!

both can attack and both defend - one should clearly be playing ahead of the other, but whenever we have a break on the oppostion both CM's are still stood in the middle hanging back.

Either one of them attacks, or one of them is dropped - end of - how a professional team can in effect only have its wingers as its attacking threat is beyond me.

Having seen Baxter today he is our creative option - can't stand this one off the striker tactic - does'nt work for us as our mdifled dont support or run beyond the forwards so there is never any options when in the final third; midfield too slow to get up there and support.

Wes is the better of our CM's in my opinon - he never will do it as 'you can't drop your captain' myth would be gasped in horror and Wes is Wes, but this is my team going forward.

Cisak

Wabara(or Brown) Byrne Mvoto Grounds

Croft Wes(or Furman) Montano

Baxter

Derbyshire Simpson(or Smith)

I'd have Baxter in a free role buzzing around and interchanging with the forwards and wingers (thought Montano was excellent again today along with mvoto - looks so assured on the ball now and not a clumsy dope).

Baxter always was an attacking midfielder not a striker at Everton - we need 2 up top to gives us a threat UNLESS the mdifield 2 (if we still persist with the 2 DM's) bomb on with intent and get up to support the lone striker.

PD won't do it but thats the way we should go.

Agree about Wes and Furman playing similar roles. Dean looked to go forward yesterday but that might be down to playing against 10 men. Baxter looked like the creative player the team has been crying out for. But need to see him play a few games and hopefully encourage the team to play a bit quicker. Great width yesterday btw. Looking forward to Tuesday even if Clarke will score!

Baxter clearly has to start ahead of Simpson who so far just hasn't been effective

With the case of Furman and Wes either we need to encourage them to go beyond the strikers every now again or (and I think this maybe a better option) we let them sit and encourage, the full backs to push on Warbara acted as a good out ball for us yesterday and while his crossing just needs abit more consistency its good to have that option if you have Wes and furman sitting it should give both Grounds and Warbara licence to go forward.

I know we hark on about our pinch me period but our full backs were often allowed to bomb on in those days due to Mike Milligan and Nick Henry sat covering them. That idea is still effective today at Man City Richards and Clichey are aloud to push on because they have the likes of Gareth Barry and YaYa toure sitting and covering them. At Chelsea Mikel sits allowing Ashley Cole to bomb on, at Barcelona the full backs pretty much play as wingers because Busquets sits and covers for them.

Encourage the full backs to push on and get Baxter in the team and we will start to see an improvement.

Edited by GlossopLatic

how a professional team can in effect only have its wingers as its attacking threat is beyond me.

It's a good job Uncle Joe didn't use that Philosophy then in the 89/90 season when Henry & Milligan were the 2 holding midfielders and Adams & Holden the 2 wingers well supported by the bombing on Irwin & Barlow Supplying the ammunition for Bunn & Ritchie and not forgetting the dodger. Millie & henry were sometimes criticised for playing the ball sideways too often but their instructions were quite simple. Go in and break up the oppositions game and keep it simple and get it out wide asap because that's where the creativity was in that team. We had wingers who could go outside or come inside so that more than made up for little coming directly through the middle.

Quite simply with the squad we have now surely we are better equipped to play more like the way we did then. PD has brought in 2 flying wingers (who look better by the game) and in Warbara (or Connor Brown) & Grounds full backs who can bomb on and are capable of creating space for their wingers. On that basis, Furman & Wes sit and protect and break the game up and give it out wide asap. We started to see more of that yesterday and 1 thing it did was lead to more entertainment. Long may that continue IMHO.

I don't necessarily see Furman & Wes not being an attacking option either. They will weigh in with a number of goals between them and if they can contribute 10-12 goals over the season then we would be up at the right end of the table. The challenge to that happening will be keeping Wes fit.

It's a good job Uncle Joe didn't use that Philosophy then in the 89/90 season when Henry & Milligan were the 2 holding midfielders and Adams & Holden the 2 wingers well supported by the bombing on Irwin & Barlow Supplying the ammunition for Bunn & Ritchie and not forgetting the dodger. Millie & henry were sometimes criticised for playing the ball sideways too often but their instructions were quite simple. Go in and break up the oppositions game and keep it simple and get it out wide asap because that's where the creativity was in that team. We had wingers who could go outside or come inside so that more than made up for little coming directly through the middle.

Quite simply with the squad we have now surely we are better equipped to play more like the way we did then. PD has brought in 2 flying wingers (who look better by the game) and in Warbara (or Connor Brown) & Grounds full backs who can bomb on and are capable of creating space for their wingers. On that basis, Furman & Wes sit and protect and break the game up and give it out wide asap. We started to see more of that yesterday and 1 thing it did was lead to more entertainment. Long may that continue IMHO.

I don't necessarily see Furman & Wes not being an attacking option either. They will weigh in with a number of goals between them and if they can contribute 10-12 goals over the season then we would be up at the right end of the table. The challenge to that happening will be keeping Wes fit.

totally agree with you - but the difference (from the endless videos and stories over the years) Milliagn and Henry or one of them at least pushed up the pitch onto the edge of the box, or got the ball and drove forward with it.

Even with 10 men yesterday Furman was STILL looking sideways and reluctant to run with the ball - at one stage after they had a man sent off in the first half we had oceans of space in the middle when Montano had the ball, crying out for Wes or Furman to bust a gut and go into that space to then ahve a shot at goal or play the forwards in - both were on the halfway line!!

One of them needs to be making runs or at least advanced enough to help the wingers keep an attack going.

They don't even need to talk to each other to decide this - if they want to interchange attacking-wise then they just take it in turns dependant on our attacks - one goes up then the next time the other.

They need telling by PD but also need to have the brain to do it on the pitch - i know that if my team has a break on and my winger is flying down the pitch i'm going to bust a gut and get into the box, its a no-brainer.

Edited by shefflatic

totally agree with you - but the difference (from the endless videos and stories over the years) Milliagn and Henry or one of them at least pushed up the pitch onto the edge of the box, or got the ball and drove forward with it.

Even with 10 men yesterday Furman was STILL looking sideways and reluctant to run with the ball - at one stage after they had a man sent off in the first half we had oceans of space in the middle when Montano had the ball, crying out for Wes or Furman to bust a gut and go into that space to then ahve a shot at goal or play the forwards in - both were on the halfway line!!

One of them needs to be making runs or at least advanced enough to help the wingers keep an attack going.

They don't even need to talk to each other to decide this - if they want to interchange attacking-wise then they just take it in turns dependant on our attacks - one goes up then the next time the other.

They need telling by PD but also need to have the brain to do it on the pitch - i know that if my team has a break on and my winger is flying down the pitch i'm going to bust a gut and get into the box, its a no-brainer.

I hear what you are saying but the way I see it, Furman is pushing further forward. Early 2nd half he was in the 6 yard box trying to get on the end of a cross but was behind (I think) Derbyshire and a defender got to the ball 1st and on the penalty incident as the ball is crssed in Furman is stood on the penalty spot.

The important thing is that Furms is looking to move forward. Yesterday with County Down to 10 they were generally sitting deep with plenty of men behind the ball and looking to hit on the break as you would expect. So when we got possession it was generally in our half and Furman and Wes were dropping to pick the ball up from Cisak or a defender and look to get it out wide. Croft was making some good breaks inside into space that the 2 DM's had created with their own movement and when the wingers or full backs went down the wing to cross, Furman was generally lurking just outside the box looking for the pick ups and knock backs with Wes generally 10-15 yards further back as an anchor/cover. So I think it is in our set up to be more than 1 dimensional and if PD sticks to this then we will see more play in the opposition box, more crosses, more chances and more goals. If we concede some as a result then so be it. I'd rather see the entertaining games like yesterday than the borefests such as the recent Stevenage game.

By the way for all the critiicism of our defence I think we look generally pretty solid and it is only the odd individual mistake that is costing us as with their 1st yesterday. I think the stat for the 2nd half was that County had 1 shot on target, which was the 1st goal. Their 2nd coming direct from a miss hit cross.

we will never reach our full team potential with the players we have if we constantly have 2 static and ridgid central midfielders!!!

both can attack and both defend - one should clearly be playing ahead of the other, but whenever we have a break on the oppostion both CM's are still stood in the middle hanging back.

Either one of them attacks, or one of them is dropped - end of - how a professional team can in effect only have its wingers as its attacking threat is beyond me.

Having seen Baxter today he is our creative option - can't stand this one off the striker tactic - does'nt work for us as our mdifled dont support or run beyond the forwards so there is never any options when in the final third; midfield too slow to get up there and support.

Wes is the better of our CM's in my opinon - he never will do it as 'you can't drop your captain' myth would be gasped in horror and Wes is Wes, but this is my team going forward.

Cisak

Wabara(or Brown) Byrne Mvoto Grounds

Croft Wes(or Furman) Montano

Baxter

Derbyshire Simpson(or Smith)

I'd have Baxter in a free role buzzing around and interchanging with the forwards and wingers (thought Montano was excellent again today along with mvoto - looks so assured on the ball now and not a clumsy dope).

Baxter always was an attacking midfielder not a striker at Everton - we need 2 up top to gives us a threat UNLESS the mdifield 2 (if we still persist with the 2 DM's) bomb on with intent and get up to support the lone striker.

PD won't do it but thats the way we should go.

Simpson isn't a striker.

He can't finish 1 on 1's regularly enough so why would you play him up front?

The goal by Baxter was the finish of a poacher. Switch those two and it looks better to me, even though we'd have to rely on Croft and Montano to track back a lot.

Yes he is.

In his last 134 matches he's scored a grand total of 14 goals.

Sounds like a clinical striker to me.

He played best when he was the centre attacking midfielder so what does Dickov do? Sticks him up front, that his record suggests isn't his forte postion. Maybe he is technically classed as a striker but I'm saying he shouldn't be playing as a striker.

In his last 134 matches he's scored a grand total of 14 goals.

Sounds like a clinical striker to me.

He played best when he was the centre attacking midfielder so what does Dickov do? Sticks him up front, that his record suggests isn't his forte postion. Maybe he is technically classed as a striker but I'm saying he shouldn't be playing as a striker.

His career stats are 91 starts and 25 goals. Some of those starts haven't been as a striker. Amazing what you do with statistics.

Edited by opinions4u

LOL. at the poster suggesting breaking up the Furman Wes partnership. It was a relief yesterday to see them back together as they are so solid and that solidarity in the middle allows others to play around them. If you start asking one of them to bomb forward too much (although I'm sure Wes had numerous shots on edge of box and we've already discussed Furman's forward runs) then we will lose the effectiveness in the middle of the park without which we have been overun week after week this season. I left the game thinking how good it was to see Wes back in there so am baffled we are having a debate like this.

With 10-men or not County were a real dangerous side with a lot of attacking threat at there disposal and we created more attacking threat and chances than we have in the last 12months as well as 3 certain pens (that werent given!!) Oh! and scored a brace of goals. That performance, with a better ref/linesman will win most games at BP this season.

Very excited by the attacking potential in the squad whilst Derbyshire remains with us. Loving the threat Wabara gave us down the right allowing Crofty to be a constant threat and Montano is getting better and better. Jose looks a real player, the quality of his 1st touch is 2nd to no-one since Shez used to entertain us and he seems to want it (hope it stays that way over the next few months).

But the reason all these positives are on show IMO is because of the structure and positional awarness (compared to Mchang) that Wes and Furman provide us, long may Wes stay fit and Winchester and Millar keep getting called up for the Northern Irish :)

BRING ON TUESDAY!!!

Edited by eyres_28

Simpson will start I reckon.

The boss has said Baxter isn't match fit yet - I think he'll be an impact sub again. And it's a convenient excuse to avoid dropping Robby and crucifying his confidence - although I agree he needs a kick up the backside as he's just not producing.

The alternative action would be to start with Baxter and really attack them from the off, before subbing him as soon as he starts tire - but I don't think PD will do this.

Going forward, I think PD will stick with 4-4-1-1, with Baxter and Simpson exchanging the number ten role.

Our four midfielders need to be very fluid, though, to stop us being outmuscled and outnumbered in central midfield all the time, and the link between a sitting central two (off the ball) and the strikers being cut off.

Some incisive, quicker forward passing is key. Hopefully the confidence of coming from behind twice and ending the game playing well will roll into Tue night.

It's a big game.

LOL. at the poster suggesting breaking up the Furman Wes partnership. It was a relief yesterday to see them back together as they are so solid and that solidarity in the middle allows others to play around them. If you start asking one of them to bomb forward too much (although I'm sure Wes had numerous shots on edge of box and we've already discussed Furman's forward runs) then we will lose the effectiveness in the middle of the park without which we have been overun week after week this season. I left the game thinking how good it was to see Wes back in there so am baffled we are having a debate like this.

With 10-men or not County were a real dangerous side with a lot of attacking threat at there disposal and we created more attacking threat and chances than we have in the last 12months as well as 3 certain pens (that werent given!!) Oh! and scored a brace of goals. That performance, with a better ref/linesman will win most games at BP this season.

Very excited by the attacking potential in the squad whilst Derbyshire remains with us. Loving the threat Wabara gave us down the right allowing Crofty to be a constant threat and Montano is getting better and better. Jose looks a real player, the quality of his 1st touch is 2nd to no-one since Shez used to entertain us and he seems to want it (hope it stays that way over the next few months).

But the reason all these positives are on show IMO is because of the structure and positional awarness (compared to Mchang) that Wes and Furman provide us, long may Wes stay fit and Winchester and Millar keep getting called up for the Northern Irish :)

BRING ON TUESDAY!!!

we only did it twice vs 10 men - the middle 2 are too similar and we NEVER really have one of them working as an attacking midfielder whenever we play vs 11 - never.

This is why when the wingers get it, the only option is play to simpson, back to the winger, back inside to furman, back to wes, and then back - no one exploits the space when it is available.

Only vs wednesday in the cup did Wes really do it - it needs to come from PD and Furman/Wes themselves to push up as soon as we have it in an advanced position and not both of the standing on halfway like 2 traffic cones wainting to break up an attack that isn't there.

That's why i'd have Baxter advanced of Wes and still paly with 2 strikers as it allows us to have more of a threat than one man awaiting runs from midfield that never materialise aside from the wingers.

Baxter floating behind 2 strikers with the wingers bombing on.

Our present line-up is fine IF one of the CM's bomb on when we attack - it rarely happens so thats why i'd change it - Furman is steady whereas Wes is all-action so Furman drops out for me, captain or not.

I view players strengths and weaknesses objectively in view of how the team should play and that's what i'd do.

Agree or disagree - as long as the lads give the effort as in the 2nd half and have a go i couldn't care who plays or how we set up - entertain the home fans and it will go a long way to improving the positivity.

Mvoto player of the season - there, i've said it and its only September.!!

Edited by shefflatic

Mvoto has been the stand out by far your right. I just can't help but think that the way we have been overun over the past year in CM when either or both Wes and Furman are out means you can't leave one out. Whether they pass sideways too much (that I agree) they are vital together and the creativity can still come from the wingers and overlapping fullbacks. You play M'chang or Baxter (who we must accomodate) in there with Wes and mark my words we will be completely overun and wont get the opportunity for Jose to be the creative force u need. Play him up top off Derbyshire (top movement on Saturday) and we will be very creative IMO. Montano is looking very dangerous in the final third and Croft is looking fit. I think that top6 is very dangerous, just need the errors to stop and Big Jean to continue his man-mountain performances.

i think the attributes and threat from motano and croft just show how much we miss that god-like player that is the bench-warming Taylor - not a jot!

Oh how it is nice to have a left winger who runs and defenders and puts a ball over into the box - bliss.... :)

Thought Montano was a million times better than he has been the first few games, looked a real threat and county couldnt cope with his pace at times. Croft also looked much better with Wabara behind him, he's a bit isolated when Byrne is at rb as he doesnt get forward that much and crofty will often find himself with 2 men on him, Wabara however is much more attacking and loves to bomb forward, he;s more like a wing back and the two linked up extremely well. Plenty of positives to take from saturdays game, now tomorrow for me is simpson out and baxter in.