Fans / Atmosphere / Part we played last night

Last night was the first game I have been to in ages that the fans were not on the backs of the players. I know some will argue its because we played well, but we started well and the fans kept with them - the atmosphere wasn't bouncing, but it was positive and one of encouragement. The amount of shouts of "KEEP GOING LADS" + "WE CANT BEAT THESE" to the players was noticable.

Ive been to loads of games in which after a good half, but 0-0, people have then moaned and whinged at the lads - this didnt happen.

Crewe had a brief spell after HT of slight dominance, nothing major - but I was watching the game mainly in our half. The fan reaction was again to get behind them. Im sure it was noticed. Im sure it was a factor in the improved performance.

Personally I have no problem with people slagging the side off on the internet, its a forum to air your views. At a match though - I dont see the point ripping into them. It cant do any good.

Last night felt like the most positive 90 mins on and off the pitch for ages.

Edited by pukka

Last night was the first game I have been to in ages that the fans were not on the backs of the players. I know some will argue its because we played well, but we started well and the fans kept with them - the atmosphere wasn't bouncing, but it was positive and one of encouragement. The amount of shouts of "KEEP GOING LADS" + "WE CANT BEAT THESE" to the players was noticable.

Ive been to loads of games in which after a good half, but 0-0, people have then moaned and whinged at the lads - this didnt happen.

Crewe had a brief spell after HT of slight dominance, nothing major - but I was watching the game mainly in our half. The fan reaction was again to get behind them. Im sure it was noticed. Im sure it was a factor in the improved performance.

Personally I have no problem with people slagging the side off on the internet, its a forum to air your views. At a match though - I dont see the point ripping into them. It cant do any good.

Last night felt like the most positive 90 mins on and off the pitch for ages.

I thought the same thing about the upbeat support and positivity (apart from the numpty on the front row, who screamed Dickov out when Baxter was replaced for Simpson :petesake: ).

All in all a great night out topped by a very good performance.

Plenty of Leeds numpties back at Piccadily doing their best to change the mood afterwards though!

People don't tend to hassle the players away from home as its the real fans that attend away games in my opinion. Its the pillocks that just go to home games and are stuck in the premier league years that give the players grief week in and week out. That is why we will never have BP as a fortress!

There are to many negative idiots that nail the young players who are learning there trade etc at BP and most sit in the main stand!

People don't tend to hassle the players away from home as its the real fans that attend away games in my opinion. Its the pillocks that just go to home games and are stuck in the premier league years that give the players grief week in and week out. That is why we will never have BP as a fortress!

There are to many negative idiots that nail the young players who are learning there trade etc at BP and most sit in the main stand!

What a load of bollocks!

I was around in the Prem years and yes I miss them very much, I dont often go away (maybe 4 or 5 times a season maximum), I also sit in the main stand........................ does that make me a pillock and not a real fan!

I just go to the home games and maybe 1 or 2 away from home, I was brought up supporting the team from the pinch me years and I sit in the main stand. I don't just get on the players backs and I get behind the team their are plenty more like me, I've had season tickets in the chaddy and in the old broadway stand I've seen plenty of moaners young and old sat in those stands. Don't put us all in the same brackets, its certainly not down to a few moans and groans from the stands why we can't make BP a fortress.

Glad though that those of you that went made a real effort to get behind the team I did here a few chants come through on Latics Player which is great considering the numbers we can make a difference.

I only get to 5-6 away games a season and it is noticeable how much better the atmosphere away from home is. In the main stand lower tier at BP, I wonder why half the fans bother turning up. They seem more pleased if we're playing badly/losing as if they somehow feel vindicated for having a huge chip on their shoulder.

Atmosphere last night reminded me of Preston away last season.

I didn't think it was a patch on Preston for volume. The OP was right though, there was so much encouragement coming from our lot, I didn't hear a groan all night. We missed a chance, they'd come back for the goal kick and were roared on again as they came back to position. There is a difference between home and away matches - if Baxter had missed that first half sitter at home there'd have been grumbling and shouting rather than hands on heads and another roar to urge them forward.

I only get to 5-6 away games a season and it is noticeable how much better the atmosphere away from home is. In the main stand lower tier at BP, I wonder why half the fans bother turning up. They seem more pleased if we're playing badly/losing as if they somehow feel vindicated for having a huge chip on their shoulder.

I completely disagree with superblue's comments.

In fact, I've moved around Boundary Park and if truth be told would be back in the Chaddy End if the regulars hadn't disappeared. I dunno if a lot still go because I haven't seen many of them for a long time. They may be lurking somewhere but they'll be scattered around the place.

Anyway, this myth that the Main Stand houses every depressing soul this club possesses is wrong and insulting. I grew up in the upper tier and I'll tel you what I noticed: the old lads up there are some of the most loyal supporters we have. I recognise about a dozen on every awayer - and they don't moan a bit. Those who do moan are in their 40s who probably grew up through the better times and are bitter we're no longer there.

The old lot have been on the roller coaster and know the score. You go up, you go down. They're content.

I'm now in the lower tier on the Main Stand for a few reasons. Firstly, I detest the Rocky Road. I really do. The rubbish I've heard there is unreal. The best I saw was when we got bounced all over the shop by Hartlepool and I saw grown men throwing abuse at the players and then walking out. What brilliant examples to be setting to the young kids who sit in there. There are also some excellent characters in the Main Stand - there's one section where there are four or five oldish lads who have everyone in stitches. Plus, I go to home games now to enjoy the match, whereas awayers is when I - like many others - really come out of my shell.

The reputation the Main Stand has got doesn't stand up. Of course, there will be a few over-zealous fans who go too far, but you'll get that in every stand, away at Bury or on the south coast at Portsmouth.

I didn't think it was a patch on Preston for volume. The OP was right though, there was so much encouragement coming from our lot, I didn't hear a groan all night. We missed a chance, they'd come back for the goal kick and were roared on again as they came back to position. There is a difference between home and away matches - if Baxter had missed that first half sitter at home there'd have been grumbling and shouting rather than hands on heads and another roar to urge them forward.

Wrong.

Fans make a huge difference. Some of the performances recently have deserved stick, but we have a large chunk of fans who turn up at BP without even the slightest intentions of being supportive. OK the money helps, but cant you just stay at home and right some letters to the chron and the daily mail instead?

Fans make a huge difference. Some of the performances recently have deserved stick, but we have a large chunk of fans who turn up at BP without even the slightest intentions of being supportive. OK the money helps, but cant you just stay at home and right some letters to the chron and the daily mail instead?

To be fair Monty for all the moaners there is a small number who keep on singing anyway good example was Brentford away.

Last nite reminded me of pompey away. In terms of numbers and the positivity coming from the away end, and look at both results? Both games at half time goalless n the team cheered off with positive comments.. I thuroughly enjoyed last nite with some new and old chants. I must admit i quite like the baxter 1

i really wanted to be there last night, but with no one to go with and not really bein able to go alone it wasnt possible, but a big thanks to those who did, because without you theres no way we would have got a result. the same goes to other fans who travel to other away games, its great to see that we still have fans who devote their time and money to support the team

I've got a ST in the rocky, yet I'll only go maybe 2-3 away games this year. I find your comments ridiculous? How does going to away games make you a "real fan"?

I don't know... I must be fake.