$hit or bust?

We all remember the last time we had a chance of promotion from this league, when the owner spent a fortune, we narrowly missed out and the club nearly went to the wall. Rightly or wrongly, spending a fortune seems to be the only way to get out of this league.

Given the doom and gloom that was going around this forum a month or so ago with an expectation of relegation or worse would people rather have Corney go all out this season and go way way over budget to keep Derbyshire and Baxter (I imagine City are paying Wabara's wages) to give us a chance of promotion, even if it means he has to walk away if we fail and/or the club goes into administration....

or

would you rather SC stays prudent, Derbyshire goes back to Forest, Baxter goes elsewhere for more money and a longer contract, we spend all season just below mid table and then have another off season signing players on free transfers and hoping we strike lucky again.

I say this because I sincerely believe if we are to keep Derbyshire for a meaningful length of time and tie Baxter down to at least the end of the season SC will have to break the bank and go massively over budget. Is it a gamble worth taking???

Personally I'm all for it, its the only way the club/town will ever have a feel good factor about it.

Edited by b0ndl1ne

It probably wouldn't mean going out of business but it would mean a bigger debt to the owners.

Join PlayerShare folks.

Turn up for home games.

Buy a new shirt.

Shop online through PlayerShare WebShop.

Fans need to do their bit too.

the question was :censored: or bust

so answering that question it would mean going bust!

the question was :censored: or bust

so answering that question it would mean going bust!

Indeed. But the context within the post wasn't quite that extreme.

Based on what I saw yesterday, I'd suggest Corney, Blitz and Gazal should be sorting out a "one more bash at it" conference call.

Although given what happened to the pub and the Lookers it might just end up with the main stand being demolished instead.

Edited by opinions4u

For me Uncle Simon has to keep it sensible, for all its faults I like going to BP on a Saturday/Tuesday and would like to do so for many years, to risk everything on a pretty outside bet would be the wrong thing to do.

Wabara said in an interview that he should have gone on loan a long time ago and is enjoying playing here, he's no mug and I bet his agent has touted him to many clubs already, same as Baxter and Derbyshire. We've a slim chance of keeping Baxter for longer but it is only a slim chance, down to the player, if we go on a run now and creep up the table until his 4 months is up we would have a shot at keeping him for longer as it is better to be playing in a successful side than a bit part at a middling side higher up. Forest won't let us keep Derbyshire unless we pay more for him and I can't see us doing that, we've a chance with Wabara as he may as well be playing for us than sitting in city reserves, maybe he can persuade a few of his mates to come and have a 6 month spell with us?

I'd be happier if Dickov spoke to Fergie and Mancini and got us some of their prospects rather than risking the housekeeping money on massive wage players.

I'd like Corney to fork out the money for Baxter, Wabara, Derbyshire and the rest of the squad but financially crippling the club in the process is stupid. To rest the future of a historic club on 11 players who are currently in 16th in the table is ludicrous. If we can juggle the players and our financial stability at the same time then brilliant. But to lose everything for faith in 3 players would crazy; there will eventually be a season where we mount a charge, it could be this one but I'd rather wait than risk it all.

Like Beag said, there are always good players in the United and City reserves that we can nab to add to our own squad. The last 2 loanees from the 2 Manchester clubs (Reece Brown and Wabara) have been excellent so there is always a pool of talent for us to exploit. Its been proven that you can challenge with a small budget, see Stevenage last season.

In recent times:

Huddersfield spent 3 years in this division

Leeds likewise

Same with Charlton

Sheffield Wednesday have spent 2 years twice

Sheffield United are into their second year

Forest spent a while here

Southampton spent 2 seasons here

All while spending a lot of money. Eventually having the ability to spend a relatively large amount of money will get you out of this division but it is by far from guaranteed to do so in one year. I don't think the landlords ever had all that much money to "waste" on us to begin with but now 2 of them have drastically reduced their funding (there's still a bit of me that thinks they havent completely stopped paying for us) we simply don't have the funds at the moment. It is feasible that Corney has enough money to fund a massive promotion push for the remainder of this season but the risk for the chances of benefit is not worth taking.

He's not a fundamentally bad player. Experienced, in his prime, has played well at times. He'd be snapped up by a club in no time.

I'd want to keep him if wages were no issue. But right now Baxter is outplaying him in a very similar role and we don't have the luxury of a large well-paid squad (particularly with Furman and others out of contract in the summer).

He's not a fundamentally bad player. Experienced, in his prime, has played well at times. He'd be snapped up by a club in no time.

I'd want to keep him if wages were no issue. But right now Baxter is outplaying him in a very similar role and we don't have the luxury of a large well-paid squad (particularly with Furman and others out of contract in the summer).

He never said he is a bad player and I dont think anyone believes he is.

Simpson hasn't performed like he can for the best part of 10 or 11 months now and the question was who wants him? I think you would be hard pushed to shift him on for a fee!

I agree. I think other clubs will know why we want to shift him and that he's out of contract. I think a free transfer is far more likely (yeah, I know all of this is completely hypothetical anyway).

And maybe next week Baxter breaks a leg, Simpson comes in and scores a hat trick. It can all change.