Big Joe's Early Failures

I'm going to a question & answer thing in a few weeks with Joe Royle in the chair. Saw him in the pub last week and mentioned to him that I could recall not all his signings were world beaters. It might have been covered elsewhere but who do people think were Joe's worst signings, prior to the glory days, i.e. not Ian Olney !!

Joe McBride, Derrick Parker, Martin Buchan, Ian Ormondroyd, Peter Skipper, John Kelly

Having seen them play for the Laics I would say all put in some decent performances, albiet only occasionally.

Edited by BP1960

Joe McBride, Derrick Parker, Martin Buchan, Ian Ormondroyd, Peter Skipper, John Kelly

I quite liked John Kelly. We needed a bit of steel and experience at the time in midfield and thought he added that. I would have included the Keeleys to the list. Glenn (until we threw him upfront for giggles) and John who I was expecting big things from for (I think) £240k. I remember us chasing George Reilly for weeks before the deal fell through who meaning that we went for Frankie Bunn instead. I think that was one of Joe's 'Sliding Doors' moments.

Olney wasn't a bad signing, just unlucky with injuries. Scored 13 goals in 46 games in the top division and cost less than £1m. Also scored 3 in 10 for England Under-21s.

I'd agree with this- Olney did OK at the top flight level. It wasn't Joe's fault he did his cruciates.

IIRC Sharp and Ritchie both had a long spell out of the side injured during Olney's time here. If Olney hadn't kept banging them in we might have gotten relegated earlier.

I didn't think Kelly , McBride , Parker & co were bad purchases.

However bringing John Ryan back ..........yeuck.

Martin Buchan should have called it a day before he came to our place , so far best his best.

Glen Keeley scoring against Leeds in the cup as an emergency centre forward ,that brings back memories.....no Ian Marshall was he ?

To be fair to any of them , they were playing a much higher standard of football , a division up from now.

I thought it was some purchases when we had money that were not so good .... Kane , McDonald , Olney , Currie etc

In the days of no brass , we got Ward , Quinn , Irwin, Linighan , Bunn , Ritchie , Wright , Marshall ,Barratt , Warhurst......not too shabby

Yeah, I've just been looking at the stats. Considering he was playing in a much weaker team, Olney managed a better goals-per-game ratio than Chapman, Bright, Saunders, Dowie, Sheron and Walters (also in the top scorers list that season). And he was only a whisper less prolific than Hughes, Le Tissier and Deane.

Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to rudemedic.

Edited by Crusoe

I didn't think Kelly , McBride , Parker & co were bad purchases.

However bringing John Ryan back ..........yeuck.

Martin Buchan should have called it a day before he came to our place , so far best his best.

Glen Keeley scoring against Leeds in the cup as an emergency centre forward ,that brings back memories.....no Ian Marshall was he ?

To be fair to any of them , they were playing a much higher standard of football , a division up from now.

I thought it was some purchases when we had money that were not so good .... Kane , McDonald , Olney , Currie etc

In the days of no brass , we got Ward , Quinn , Irwin, Linighan , Bunn , Ritchie , Wright , Marshall ,Barratt , Warhurst......not too shabby

Absolute bang on the nail with that. When Royle had buttons to spend he managed to get uncut gems in with players that had lost their way and together they blossomed into the best swash buckling side many had seen.

With money we replaced the departed gems with players that ultimately came up short.

Absolute bang on the nail with that. When Royle had buttons to spend he managed to get uncut gems in with players that had lost their way and together they blossomed into the best swash buckling side many had seen.

With money we replaced the departed gems with players that ultimately came up short.

He had the same problem at other clubs too- his spending on the cheap at Citeh was good, when he had money he didn't spend it well.