If Pine Villa had not changed their name...

Does anyone actually know where this name came from? (I'm sure there's an obvious and well known reason for it that I'm completely oblivious to).

Pine Villa sounds more like the name of someone's holiday home on the Costa Del Sol

I can't recall where 'Pine' came from. (possibly a local club/pub/factory?) but the Villa was a nod to the great Aston Villa team of the time.

The club played at Hudson Fold , by the Pine Mill, Hence the name First recorded match - 18 Nov 1895 (so within a few days of the 117th anniversary) Pine Villa 4 Booth Hill Albion 0.

The Pine Mill was on Sherwood Street, just off Featherstall Road

Diego Sideburns has posted this photo of the mill in the 1970s

http://www.flickr.co...rns/4338946298/

Edited by LaticsPete

Adding to what LaticsPete wrote.

Pine Villa's first 'ground' was one of two unenclosed pitches at Berry's Fields, to the rear of the Methodist Chapel in Garforth Street, Chadderton. A smithy close to the Featherstall and Junction Hotel was used as dressing-rooms, before moving to the ground near the Pine Mill.

Pine Villa started in the Oldham Junior League Division Two, won promotion and finished runners-up to Greenacres in Divion One.

The postcode for Sherwood Street, where the Pine Mill was situated is OL1 2PJ.

oldhamathletic1.jpg?w=106&h=150

There were some fine specimens for Movember back in the day.

Wow, looking at that postcode on google maps I see that for my first ten years watching Latics we parked up for every home game next to the site on which the club was formed! Who knew! (not me)