Are they as good as we thought?

I watched an Evo-Stik Division One North team, Mossley, play football yesterday and win 7 nil. They passed the ball, they shunned the long ball and they all knew what they were supposed to be doing. It was a lesson in what should be happening at Boundary Park.

The problem is that Latics give up trying to play football when things go wrong, because management concentrates too much on not making mistakes, and we see the long ball which only suits our team when Smith is in it - hence the improvement every time he comes on. You can give away goals if you are scoring but it is very difficult to win games by stopping teams scoring when you only score a goal a game - we are not an Arsenal of the north.

We need a change because that will have an effect even if it only lasts for five months. Does SC have the money to make a change?

I still don't understand why Byrne is getting away without questioning. I assume he is the leadership at the back so why do we keep getting done at set peices!

No doubt there was a good player in him you can see it but he is so slow strikers are beginning to pull on him and that's a worry

I assume that Dickov brought him as an older, experienced player that could control the back four, à la Gregan.

First, Dickov plays him in the wrong position and second, he persists with 'calamity' M'Voto alongside him, when clearly, M'Voto needs a stint on the bench.

I still don't understand why Byrne is getting away without questioning. I assume he is the leadership at the back so why do we keep getting done at set peices!

No doubt there was a good player in him you can see it but he is so slow strikers are beginning to pull on him and that's a worry

1.) Our goals conceeded is actually pretty good for the division as a whole nevermind a team in the relegation zone.

2.) We needed someone with a good few years experience.

3.) He was quite rightly player of the month at the start of the season and Baxter and Derbyshire aside he is in with a decent shout of player of the season.

4.) It isn't much of a coincidence that our good run was when he played Byrne and M'voto at the back and it ended when M'voto got suspended and we had a load of defensive errors when we played M'voto and Tarky.

5.) Yes Byrne is slow but so was Gregan they used their experience to put them in positions so pace became less of an issue. Tarky doesn't strike me as being particularly quick but hasn't got that experience.

6.) Having just looked at the Tranmere highlights, again, the CB that cost us points in our bad run is Tarky. He made a rash challenge in the penalty area against Bury and that cost us. I'll ignore the first Bury goal as its quite hard to point the finger there at the centre-halfs, it was just one of those things. Our main problem player defensively in the bad run has been Montano. He didn't mark his man for Tranmere's goal, he let Bury's player get the cross in. Perhaps when Grounds is suspended he should be dropped to provide Grounds' replacement better cover.

As you can see I don't think Byrne is the problem.

Edited by rudemedic

M'Voto's been fine this season. He's weakest coming back into the side and takes time to adjust.

He's just had time out. More isn't a good idea.

Indeed, although with his short stint out being shorter than his previous ones I'd expect him to be playing better soon.

Why is it that I found a team with the likes of Bonner, Cooksey, O'Halloran, Betsy, Wilkinson, Vernon, Appleby, Branston, more entertaining to watch than this lot. I haven't been this season and have no motivation to do so. But back then we were getting tonked every week and I couldn't stay away.

Why is it that I found a team with the likes of Bonner, Cooksey, O'Halloran, Betsy, Wilkinson, Vernon, Appleby, Branston, more entertaining to watch than this lot. I haven't been this season and have no motivation to do so. But back then we were getting tonked every week and I couldn't stay away.

Its the catch-22 issue. If people like you avoid going then the club loses money and can't compete but you will only start going when the club competes..granted, Tranmere have started competitng with a tiny budget but its not something we should necessarily expect every season for ourselves, its an exception to the rule.

I suppose the way to do it is to play good football and get goals then bring fans back through that way but that means a change of manager that it seems we can't afford. Its a tricky one.

Out of interest, if we were to lose those frustrating games, 3-2's but produce good football and create lots of chances and still be 16/17/18th area of the table, would you return to BP again or is it solely a results business?

I watched an Evo-Stik Division One North team, Mossley, play football yesterday and win 7 nil. They passed the ball, they shunned the long ball and they all knew what they were supposed to be doing. It was a lesson in what should be happening at Boundary Park.

The problem is that Latics give up trying to play football when things go wrong, because management concentrates too much on not making mistakes, and we see the long ball which only suits our team when Smith is in it - hence the improvement every time he comes on. You can give away goals if you are scoring but it is very difficult to win games by stopping teams scoring when you only score a goal a game - we are not an Arsenal of the north.

We need a change because that will have an effect even if it only lasts for five months. Does SC have the money to make a change?

Of course he has the money....just use the £1500/£2000 a week he was willing to pay Baxter.

Sorry to be picky but if you haven't been to BP to watch this season's team how do you know that they aren't more entertaining than those containing your listed players.

Dickov can't legislate for Mvoto making a dickhead-like tackle in the box, Montano not being able to trap a ball, Baxter deciding not to turn up until the 88th minute and Simpson wanting far too much time on the ball. And that's before we even mention M'Changama deciding to shoot from a 40 yard free kick just after we went two down.

True Lee I accept that but only thing I will say is for 18months he has had the chance to sort it and he hasnt in reality and they are all Dickov's own players

I dont buy this crap that Dickov should be kept as he can bring the players in as its those same players who are involved in a relegation scrap and its only thing bringing them in but its another getting the best out of them.

Its all guess work but im sure a different manager also could have brought in a few decent players

If we do the basics right we will win tonight I dont doubt that in my mind, if we go 1-0 down early with the brittle confidence we have I worry but the same applies to Hartlepool

Whoever is leading if indeed anyone is going into the last 15mins I would bet your bottom dollar they will be as deep as hell and it will be neverous

We should win this and shrewsbury anything less than 4 points is pathetic