Discipline

We are only in November and we have had 47 yellow cards and 3 red cards this needs to be sorted out and I think this is the worst in the league and possibly the football league. With this we are losing players left right and centre with Cliff Byrne and Bouzanis banned for saturday

We are only in November and we have had 47 yellow cards and 3 red cards this needs to be sorted out and I think this is the worst in the league and possibly the football league. With this we are losing players left right and centre with Cliff Byrne and Bouzanis banned for saturday

It's what happens when you sit off teams and concede territory, you find yourself without the ball for longer making more challenges. I wonder how many bookings we picked up when we won 3 out of 4 in October in comparison to the last 4 or 5 games….

Last season we committed fewer fouls than anybody else.

Glad to see we're prepared to mix it a bit more. Might well explain the improved defensive performances.

I was about to say the same, however a lot of the bookings we've had have been nonsense stuff that overly fussy referees have whipped their cards out for. I can hardly remember many proper blood and thunder tackles where we're sat in the stands thinking that he was lucky not to have got red for. The game has gone soft and it is ruining it for the fans.

I also like seeing our keeper being a mentalist, this too is lacking in the modern game, sounds like he pulled off a wonder save in the second half and got sent off in the last minute for an altercation with an ex-Tranmere player, good work Dean! Sounds like Cisak had a decent game for Pompey so hopefully he comes back in good nick and keeps the shirt for a spell, Dean will be chomping at the bit to get back in the side which should spur both keepers on.

Although in this day and age "I'm out of the side, I'm going to ask my agent to engineer a move" is most players response rather than doing their bit on the training pitch to force the manager to put them back in.

And coloured boots, nearly half the team were wearing fancy coloured boots last night, there's nowt wrong with black boots, nothing at all. I can remember when it was all fields round here too....

got sent off in the last minute for an altercation with an ex-Tranmere player, good work Dean!

Mot sure if you're serious but if so it seems to echo the cliched routine of applauding players off the pitch after they've seen red. One of the most bizarre tribal traditions in the increasingly bizarrely tribal world of football.

It can be summed up as

You've let yourself down

You've let your teammates down

You've let down the fans who've paid good money

Oh but don't worry, because you've shown some passion we'll clap you off before booing off the ten men who've struggled by without you.

Some simlariities to the uttelry ludicrous Chelsea fans who boo Benitez becasue he sadi something nasty about thekir club seven years ago while managing a club which at the time was a serious rival. What do they think he shoudl have said? Maybe something along th elines of "Who knows, I may get the chance to manage you one day so as far as I'm concerned you're all lovely people"

Ridiculous.

One point I like to mention is that we do get bookings which should not be like M'voto yesterday he made a crucnching tackle and getting the ball and he gets booked it seems yesterday we kept on getting fouls given against us for minimal fouls.

I am being serious, there are times when the right thing to do is get yourself sent off. Connor Brown is about 2 stone soaking wet, granted Hume isn't much more but I'm happy to see a bigger teammate getting stuck in on his behalf.

Same as when a player takes out one of theirs to deny a certain goal or similar circumstance.

This doesn't mean every sending off should be applauded, KMB's red mist and fists of fury was a bit daft, he didn't even hit their players hard enough, same as M'voto, he should have put that prat down properly. Deano was in the last minute of a game we were losing, it wasn't going to affect the outcome of that game and we could recal Cisak so the impact in later games is negligible.

If one of our players does do the sacrificial sending off offence I'll applaud him off, if he takes one of theirs out properly I'll clap him off. If you see one of ours getting wound up and becoming a red card waiting to happen I'll shout at the captain to get him to get a grip on his player.

The standard of refereeing has been shocking at BP though (surprise!) the Shrewsbury game was the latest in a long line of wtf moments for me. Smith smashing into their keeper gets a yellow, their player (No.29 I think) does exactly the same later gets nothing. Derbyshire stands still to head a ball, their defender goes through the back of him, freekick against Derbyshire! Usually you expect to get a little home advantage from the refs but can't remember last time I thought 'we've got away with that'. Don't even get me started on the linesmen! I don't think refs have the easiest job but they don't help themselves, especially at this level.

I was about to say the same, however a lot of the bookings we've had have been nonsense stuff that overly fussy referees have whipped their cards out for. I can hardly remember many proper blood and thunder tackles where we're sat in the stands thinking that he was lucky not to have got red for. The game has gone soft and it is ruining it for the fans.

I also like seeing our keeper being a mentalist, this too is lacking in the modern game, sounds like he pulled off a wonder save in the second half and got sent off in the last minute for an altercation with an ex-Tranmere player, good work Dean! Sounds like Cisak had a decent game for Pompey so hopefully he comes back in good nick and keeps the shirt for a spell, Dean will be chomping at the bit to get back in the side which should spur both keepers on.

Although in this day and age "I'm out of the side, I'm going to ask my agent to engineer a move" is most players response rather than doing their bit on the training pitch to force the manager to put them back in.

And coloured boots, nearly half the team were wearing fancy coloured boots last night, there's nowt wrong with black boots, nothing at all. I can remember when it was all fields round here too....

And the music is all just banging and screeching, none of it has a proper tune like what Our Gracie used to sing. Voice of an angel, she had.

The standard of refereeing has been shocking at BP though (surprise!) the Shrewsbury game was the latest in a long line of wtf moments for me. Smith smashing into their keeper gets a yellow, their player (No.29 I think) does exactly the same later gets nothing. Derbyshire stands still to head a ball, their defender goes through the back of him, freekick against Derbyshire! Usually you expect to get a little home advantage from the refs but can't remember last time I thought 'we've got away with that'. Don't even get me started on the linesmen! I don't think refs have the easiest job but they don't help themselves, especially at this level.

It's interesting because I usually have a lot of sympathy for refs and think fans are harsh on them a lot of the time, but this season regardless of who I'm watching it seems like the standard of refereeing is consistently poor. To the extent that when I saw Trevor Kettle reffing earlier this season he seemed like one of the better ones!

Your team's losing, you make a rash judgement.

Rash judgements always seem like good idea at the time, and then a stupid one, with hindsight.

Fortunately for Latics, the only area of the team that appears to be excellently coached is the goalkeeping department. Cisak, if he has any sense, will relish this opportunity and play out of his skin to retain the 'keeper's jersey and Bouzanis will give him a run for his money when the ban is lifted.

It's interesting because I usually have a lot of sympathy for refs and think fans are harsh on them a lot of the time, but this season regardless of who I'm watching it seems like the standard of refereeing is consistently poor. To the extent that when I saw Trevor Kettle reffing earlier this season he seemed like one of the better ones!

Did a refs course when I was about 14 and watched a mate ref an under 7s game and get verbal abuse throughout the game from parents, thought sod this every Sun morning for a fiver. So mainly feel sorry for them and actually think it's the governing bodies changing the rules every 5 minutes and not fully backing/overly backing refs. We still have discussions in the main stand over what rules are still being enforced (10 sec rule/7 steps rule/active play etc) half of us fans don't even know. However it need to be improved. Never like to go down the woe is us route but we have a small side and seem to constantly get battered by bigger physical sides who seem to get away with it whilst if one of ours shows even the slightest aggression we're constantly being spoken too/booked.

In the pantheon of utter bollox that is posted on here from time to time that has gone straight to the gold medal position

Actually your post has. Some statistician (I think it was Finklestein that writes in the Times) looked into it. They calculated that after around the 20th minute if you have to take a red card to prevent a goal (ala Suarez in the world cup) you should do so. Because the odds of the penalty being missed, and the effect of being down to 10 men and the effect of being 1 goal behind mean it is worth it.

Actually your post has. Some statistician (I think it was Finklestein that writes in the Times) looked into it. They calculated that after around the 20th minute if you have to take a red card to prevent a goal (ala Suarez in the world cup) you should do so. Because the odds of the penalty being missed, and the effect of being down to 10 men and the effect of being 1 goal behind mean it is worth it.

I work with a close mate of Finkelstein's - I shall ask him to confirm that most statistics are indeed bollox!