Simpson pain-free after suffering for three months

Showed up well in pre season from what I saw, playing facing the goal and in and around the box.

Then the management inexplicably tried to turn him into a bulldozing target man which clearly ain't his game.

That said him and Baxter doesn't seem a natural partnership so he's probably in for another load of abuse on here!

A question I would ask is why did he play when clearly not fit....and did lack of fitness account for the poor performances of Montano and Croft - who reportedly were suffering from injuries before the Swindon game?

There should be adequate replacements within the squad to replace injury doubt players.

It's not just football, look at the England test team who played the brittle Stuart Broad with the resulting below par performances.

Edited by BP1960

A question I would ask is why did he play when clearly not fit....and did lack of fitness account for the poor performances of Montano and Croft - who reportedly were suffering from injuries before the Swindon game?

There should be adequate replacements within the squad to replace injury doubt players.

It's not just football, look at the England test team who played the brittle Stuart Broad with the resulting below par performances.

Dickov said he kept it to himself. Not wanting to lose his place it would seem.

Quite a lot of players will play on whilst not fit to do so in most sports at most levels. Sport is often painful and if everyone who was in pain stopped participating we'd either need to have more subs or allow rolling ones.

Top Premiership teams can afford to have squads of 25 where replacements in every position often don't significantly adversely affect quality. We cannot. Simpson played whilst not fully fit because Dickov didn't know. After all it's not like he hasn't missed a few games this season, some of which weren't always because he wasn't fully fit.

Simpson is a very good player if used correctly, sadly that correctly is the same place in the team occupied by our best player Baxter.

So that leaves one of two options of either play him out wide or up top and i wouldnt even think about playing him middle of the park but then he aint a winger or a striker lol over to you PD

Simpson is a very good player if used correctly, sadly that correctly is the same place in the team occupied by our best player Baxter.

So that leaves one of two options of either play him out wide or up top and i wouldnt even think about playing him middle of the park but then he aint a winger or a striker lol over to you PD

Or go 4-5-1 'Christmas Tree' formation...drop one of Furman and Wes, have a defensive midfielder, the two wingers and then Baxter and Simpson playing off a front man.

Quite a lot of players will play on whilst not fit to do so in most sports at most levels. Sport is often painful and if everyone who was in pain stopped participating we'd either need to have more subs or allow rolling ones.

Top Premiership teams can afford to have squads of 25 where replacements in every position often don't significantly adversely affect quality. We cannot. Simpson played whilst not fully fit because Dickov didn't know. After all it's not like he hasn't missed a few games this season, some of which weren't always because he wasn't fully fit.

Dickov has a squad of players, many are fully fit but never get a look in, if they aren't adequate replacements why are they here ?

I agree knocks are part and parcel of the game, but I can't understand "Dickov didn't know", it should be obvious to the management and fitness coach why a player just cannot give his best.

Having seen most of his games It was plain to me something was wrong and this was not a dip in form, but something more serious.

Dickov has a squad of players, many are fully fit but never get a look in, if they aren't adequate replacements why are they here ?

I agree knocks are part and parcel of the game, but I can't understand "Dickov didn't know", it should be obvious to the management and fitness coach why a player just cannot give his best.

Having seen most of his games It was plain to me something was wrong and this was not a dip in form, but something more serious.

1.) They are here because they are learning, with the possible exception of M'changama, (who's still only 22) they are kids who are still developing their skills. We offer to keep them because if we didn't we'd loose money. Plus if they do well enough in their skill development we can make money on them as opposed to simply not loose money.

2.) Paul Butler is a sports scientist, he won't have a huge amount of training in medical sciences (eg physiology and anatomy). Simpson's injury sounds like one that may not have been all that noticeable in terms of his fitness but certain movements caused him pain. After a certain time frame say 60 minutes it will be noticeable but his drop in performance may not have been as noticeable relative to other players. As they would also loose fitness in the same time frame. This lack of difference could also have been attributed to being played out of position.

3.) Essentially, Simpson wasn't getting picked because from mid-September because we had better options. He could have been fully fit and that wouldn't have changed.

4.) I don't think you have done it on purpose but there's a bit of your post that serms to my view that you are moaning that Dickov isn't playing the players you want him to play despite him seeing a lot more of them than you. This issue with Simpson (which is a lot more his fault than anyone else's but is completely understandable) is just another stick for which you can beat Dickov with.

1.) They are here because they are learning, with the possible exception of M'changama, (who's still only 22) they are kids who are still developing their skills. We offer to keep them because if we didn't we'd loose money. Plus if they do well enough in their skill development we can make money on them as opposed to simply not loose money.

2.) Paul Butler is a sports scientist, he won't have a huge amount of training in medical sciences (eg physiology and anatomy). Simpson's injury sounds like one that may not have been all that noticeable in terms of his fitness but certain movements caused him pain. After a certain time frame say 60 minutes it will be noticeable but his drop in performance may not have been as noticeable relative to other players. As they would also loose fitness in the same time frame. This lack of difference could also have been attributed to being played out of position.

3.) Essentially, Simpson wasn't getting picked because from mid-September because we had better options. He could have been fully fit and that wouldn't have changed.

4.) I don't think you have done it on purpose but there's a bit of your post that serms to my view that you are moaning that Dickov isn't playing the players you want him to play despite him seeing a lot more of them than you. This issue with Simpson (which is a lot more his fault than anyone else's but is completely understandable) is just another stick for which you can beat Dickov with.

My issue is with managers/selectors starting with seemingly major injury doubts - as I mentioned earlier in the case of Stuart Broad.

Are we giving players flak for looking less than committed - when in fact they cannot physically produce their best ?

Last week if Montano and Croft were not fully fit it was the ideal time to play a couple of the young players, they may not have done any better, but at least you find out what they are made of.

Personally, I do not think the manager has much faith in some of the youth, which may explain my views of the current situation.

Edited by BP1960