Fiftieth Anniversary of..

our biggest ever victory will be on Boxing Day.

Some of us will recall a snowy Boundary Park, Boxing Day 1962. Latics, having won just two of their last five matches, turned on the style to beat Southport 11-0,

Over 14000 saw Bert Lister bag six, Colin Whitaker a hat-trick, with Bob Ledger and Johnny Colquhoun also scoring.

Not anticipating the same this Boxing Day...but didn't then either.

Edited by LaticsPete

I nearly didn't go to this one. I was 18 at the time and going out with a girl from Macclesfield (don't ask me how or why) at the time and we were coming back from her house to Royton by bus (several of 'em, actually) when another one ran into the back of us in Manchester. We were all shaken up and still feeling the effects a couple of days later on Boxing Day.

Not much was going to keep us away from BP, so off we went. Christ on a bicycle, in was feckin' cold. My dear Dad, for about the only time in his active life, decided not to go. How he wished he had. It was an incredible game and, had it not been for Joe Harris (I think his name was), the Southport keeper, it could have 15, 16 or 17.

Having seen the 11-2 defeat of Chester when I was eight, I never thought anything like that could happen again, so I'm one of the lucky ones to have seen Latics score 22 goals in two games, even if they were 10 years apart.

Not sure if the memory is letting me down, but didn't we go to Southport for the return game shortly afterwards and lose 2-1? Some one on here will know, I'm sure.

So, come two days' time, 6 from Baxter, a hat trick from Smith and one each from Croft and some other bugger .....

..... OK, I'll stop dreaming, but you can't take the memories away.

Southport away - yes we did lose 2-1 , though in April.

Top marks for the double 11 goal attendance - are you there this week?!

I'd love to be Pete, but this Pete will be in Brizzle, plugged in to the Mike 'n' Roy show. Next one for me is Forest, then Coventry.

Edited by Bristolatic

I nearly didn't go to this one. I was 18 at the time and going out with a girl from Macclesfield (don't ask me how or why) at the time and we were coming back from her house to Royton by bus (several of 'em, actually) when another one ran into the back of us in Manchester. We were all shaken up and still feeling the effects a couple of days later on Boxing Day.

Not much was going to keep us away from BP, so off we went. Christ on a bicycle, in was feckin' cold. My dear Dad, for about the only time in his active life, decided not to go. How he wished he had. It was an incredible game and, had it not been for Joe Harris (I think his name was), the Southport keeper, it could have 15, 16 or 17.

Having seen the 11-2 defeat of Chester when I was eight, I never thought anything like that could happen again, so I'm one of the lucky ones to have seen Latics score 22 goals in two games, even if they were 10 years apart.

Not sure if the memory is letting me down, but didn't we go to Southport for the return game shortly afterwards and lose 2-1? Some one on here will know, I'm sure.

So, come two days' time, 6 from Baxter, a hat trick from Smith and one each from Croft and some other bugger .....

..... OK, I'll stop dreaming, but you can't take the memories away.

A great story, but incomplete until we know whether you smashed it?

A great story, but incomplete until we know whether you smashed it?

Now that, dear friend, is no more than I would have expected from the legend that is leeslover. Brilliant. Let's just say it was a bloody good Christmas. :dance::drinking45::tongue::drinking::OASISscarf::pow::omg:

Not necessarily in that order, but do you get the idea of how Christmas 1962 went for yours truly?

Edited by Bristolatic

Now that, dear friend, is no more than I would have expected from the legend that is leeslover. Brilliant. Let's just say it was a bloody good Christmas. :dance::drinking45::tongue::drinking::OASISscarf::pow::omg:

Not necessarily in that order, but do you get the idea of how Christmas 1962 went for yours truly?

Stupid question to ask.

Of course he smashed it.

Every time you went round there, you'd have seen BristolLatic asking for a peck on the cheek and asking her dad if he could take her out to the pictures the next week.

our biggest ever victory will be on Boxing Day.

Some of us will recall a snowy Boundary Park, Boxing Day 1962. Latics, having won just two of their last five matches, turned on the style to beat Southport 11-0,

Over 14000 saw Bert Lister bag six, Colin Whitaker a hat-trick, with Bob Ledger and Johnny Colquhoun also scoring.

Not anticipating the same this Boxing Day...but didn't then either.

I was there, snow lovely snow.

That’s two of us who saw both matches, then. And both played on rolled-out snow, I am pretty certain.