Looks like its sammy lee

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Brizzie, Paul Scholes would keep us up as he would simply lift the team and the fans.

I'd love to see Scholes in a Latics shirt but I don't think it's ever going to happen and I don't think he'll ever become a manager. And, if we did give him the job, since he's under contract to United and the transfer window is closed, he wouldn't be allowed to play for us until next season, would he? An inexperienced manager, even Scholes, isn't what we need right at this point.

I'd love to see Scholes in a Latics shirt but I don't think it's ever going to happen and I don't think he'll ever become a manager. And, if we did give him the job, since he's under contract to United and the transfer window is closed, he wouldn't be allowed to play for us until next season, would he? An inexperienced manager, even Scholes, isn't what we need right at this point.

Is there a provision in the emergency loan system to take somebody on loan as manager?

Now, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, I'm not suddenly Sammy Lee's No1 fan and backing him outright for the manager's job here…..BUT

I still don't get this negativity towards him. He's a been there, done it football type. He's an ex International himself, he's been involved in the International set-up as a coach, and has been a successful Number 2 at 2 Premier League clubs. He has less than 20 games managing at a Premier League side; and to be fair to him - he was thrown to the Lions (of Vienna - see what I did there!) at Bolton; after the success of Big Sam and the budget being drastically cut; whoever took the reins was always going to be on a hiding to nothing. He tried to affect a change a style of play from direct route 1 to a passing game…and it didn't work out. In the Premier League. 5+ years ago. It's hardly like a succession of relegations on his CV is it? It didn't work out for him at Bolton; but I'd say a great number of the reasons for that are nothing to do with the man himself.

Plenty of examples of Number 2's rising up to then become Managers; and good ones too. The Steve Clark example above is spot on - he was labelled the same as Lee; great Number 2, great coach, well respected but would never make it as a manager. I bet West Brom fans are happy that he's actually been given a chance to prove that's bollocks…..

Look, we're in the :censored:; make no bones about it - bottom four and regardless of how good the starting X1 look on paper; 1 or 2 games apart; they've just not produced it this season. It's going to need someone to come in and whip them into shape asap. My gut says that needs to an old head; a been there; done it type who can cut through the bull-:censored:, the social media apologies and all the general wussing out from the players - get them organised, motivated and firing - and start to get some points on the board. Sammy Lee could well do that - heck; he's been in the game long enough & he's hardly a novice rookie coming in not knowing what the heck he's doing is he?

He's not my choice, and until he started to climb the betting; I hadn't even considered him - but I just don't get people on this thread saying if comes in; we're down / I'm not going to games if he's appointed etc……on what basis is this outright negativity for him?

Dowie's not the saviour, he's not some demi-God who'll come in and miraculously we'll suddenly start to play like Spain and become an all concurring powerhouse. He's not all that.

Whoever comes in has a huge job on their hands with us. Just don't think we should be so adverse to anyone who isn't Dowie being mentioned

Just spoke to a Liverpool fan at work. Conversation went something like

Him: "So whose favourite for the Oldham job Carl?"

Me: "Was Dowie but now Sammy Lee"?

Him "No, no, good lord no, don't do it. Great number two, great coach, great trainer, not a manager."

Whilst I would much rather have Dowie, am not as opposed as some on here. As Rick said, not sure what he would bring to a club in a relegation dogfight, which is what concerns me.

You need to let you friend know that he never managed Liverpool though he was number 2 when they finished runners up in the league.

The "If he's in then I'm out and we're down" attitude shows how impossible Corney's task is. No-one knows what discussions have taken place and with whom but people need to be a little more open-minded regarding who gets the plum job as manager of a relegation zone residing, zero confidence club.

If Lee and Dowie are the ones in the frame then, I may well have a preference for Dowie based on his working with TP before and being a 'known' in terms of inspiring hard work amongst players when their backs are against the wall. However, not at all costs. If Dowie's salary demands are deemed by Corney to be excessive then move on and if Lee has impressed then give him due consideration. His coaching credentials don't seem to be in doubt, he's been involved tactically at the top of the game and he is adept at working with younger players.

I've read elsewhere that some are saying no to Lee based on lack of managerial experience but that Scholes would inspire us to stay up. It's a nonsense.

Now, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, I'm not suddenly Sammy Lee's No1 fan and backing him outright for the manager's job here…..BUT

I still don't get this negativity towards him. He's a been there, done it football type. He's an ex International himself, he's been involved in the International set-up as a coach, and has been a successful Number 2 at 2 Premier League clubs. He has less than 20 games managing at a Premier League side; and to be fair to him - he was thrown to the Lions (of Vienna - see what I did there!) at Bolton; after the success of Big Sam and the budget being drastically cut; whoever took the reins was always going to be on a hiding to nothing. He tried to affect a change a style of play from direct route 1 to a passing game…and it didn't work out. In the Premier League. 5+ years ago. It's hardly like a succession of relegations on his CV is it? It didn't work out for him at Bolton; but I'd say a great number of the reasons for that are nothing to do with the man himself.

Plenty of examples of Number 2's rising up to then become Managers; and good ones too. The Steve Clark example above is spot on - he was labelled the same as Lee; great Number 2, great coach, well respected but would never make it as a manager. I bet West Brom fans are happy that he's actually been given a chance to prove that's bollocks…..

Look, we're in the :censored:; make no bones about it - bottom four and regardless of how good the starting X1 look on paper; 1 or 2 games apart; they've just not produced it this season. It's going to need someone to come in and whip them into shape asap. My gut says that needs to an old head; a been there; done it type who can cut through the bull-:censored:, the social media apologies and all the general wussing out from the players - get them organised, motivated and firing - and start to get some points on the board. Sammy Lee could well do that - heck; he's been in the game long enough & he's hardly a novice rookie coming in not knowing what the heck he's doing is he?

He's not my choice, and until he started to climb the betting; I hadn't even considered him - but I just don't get people on this thread saying if comes in; we're down / I'm not going to games if he's appointed etc……on what basis is this outright negativity for him?

Dowie's not the saviour, he's not some demi-God who'll come in and miraculously we'll suddenly start to play like Spain and become an all concurring powerhouse. He's not all that.

Whoever comes in has a huge job on their hands with us. Just don't think we should be so adverse to anyone who isn't Dowie being mentioned

Some good points there sly.

I don't want Lee as manager though.

The reason is we have 16 games to save ourselves and that needs an experienced number 1 who has done it (or at least been around this position once before).

The West Brom example isn't in the same context because he was appointed manager in the summer so if it isn't working they have time to get shut and replace him.

When we appoint a manager, it must be someone who can get us out of this mess.

A similar success to how Blackwell is giving Bury a fighting chance, they looked doomed a couple of months ago!

The reason is we have 16 games to save ourselves and that needs an experienced number 1 who has done it (or at least been around this position once before).

The West Brom example isn't in the same context because he was appointed manager in the summer so if it isn't working they have time to get shut and replace him.

A similar success to how Blackwell is giving Bury a fighting chance, they looked doomed a couple of months ago!

Spot on that Lancy, agree 100%

Sure he might have a ton of experience but has he experience of dealing with a gang of League One players. Particularly ones who are under performing and in some cases who need a right good kick up the arse?

We aren't at game one here, this lot have a third of a season to drag themselves to safety. I'd much prefer someone who has been a manager elsewhere for longer than a handful of games.

I can't argue with a single word of that and pretty much sums up my feelings

Sure he might have a ton of experience but has he experience of dealing with a gang of League One players. Particularly ones who are under performing and in some cases who need a right good kick up the arse?

We aren't at game one here, this lot have a third of a season to drag themselves to safety. I'd much prefer someone who has been a manager elsewhere for longer than a handful of games.

So we're looking for someone who has spent a decent amount of time hanging around the arse end of League One but is still deemed to be a successful, inspirational manager.

I'm not surprised no-ones been appointed yet.

Oh come on! Dave Bassett made a living from being a relegation firefighter :grin:

Well once he had got clubs up.

*Note. I am not touting him for manager. Just in case. I know how OWTB is, next thing he is odds on for the job.

Edited by ChrisA

Of course we need someone to get us out of this mess - that's the reason why Corney had to make noises before PD left. However, the impression I'm getting (based on nothing) is that Dowie isn't happy with the terms of the deal put to him. He does meet a range of the criteria that we'd be looking for but that means nothing if a deal can't be agreed. I'm sure Corney has put a timeframe on when to move on.

Based on being an experienced manager that's been time served in relegation battles there's the likes of Horton and McInnes. On the face of it, the latter would probably get more support than the former but still would be arriving at BP as recently damaged goods due to the poor run that Bristol City had this year. That's the problem with the kind of experienced managers that'll be in our budget - they aren't going to have unblemished records. Those that do well in these situations can be a bit more picky in selecting their clubs.

As the number of options decreases then the likes of a good coach with years of experience and a point to prove becomes slightly more appealing. I don't need to be inspired by him - I'll be at BP anyway - he needs to be able to galvanise the players and get that bit more from them than PD did.

One thing is for sure if things dont go our way tomorrow with our results and others the job could be even less attractive

On the flip side it could be a win for us and loses for those around us and someone would have a slightly easier task

If Latics win tomorrow, TP will be favourite for the job, regardless of whether he wants it.

matt chambers has tweeted (sorry if its somewhere else - canot be bothered trawling through wades of pages)

"Know of three names that have applied for #oafc job that don't feature in betting market. One a current Championship player in North-West"

matt chambers has tweeted (sorry if its somewhere else - canot be bothered trawling through wades of pages)

"Know of three names that have applied for #oafc job that don't feature in betting market. One a current Championship player in North-West"

So, anyone from Burnley, Blackburn. Bolton or Blackpool.