Thoughts on Iwelumo

His goal distracted us from his overall performance today I think.

Personally I thought he was really poor but Barnard's quality and movement compensated for Iwelumo's slugishness. He missed a couple of good chances which he ought to have got on target but was a nuisance to their defence in general.

Would you start him over Matt Smith (if he's back for Everton) or would you stick with the same team that won convincingly today? They're both similar players so it must be a judge of quality. Which one is better?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not the most mobile but if you hit the ball at him it sticks, I thought he played well today and deserved his goal. A little flat footed after the hour mark but looked a good target man for Barnard and Baxter to play off.

I thought he played well. His link up play with others was better than smith but smith is still learning. The main difference overall is we had two players upfront today. Barnard's movement caused problems and gave Iwelumo someone to aim for. How often do we see smith flick the ball on to no one as he is usually the furthest man forward. I think saying he was crap is harsh imo

His goal distracted us from his overall performance today I think.

Personally I thought he was really poor but Barnard's quality and movement compensated for Iwelumo's slugishness. He missed a couple of good chances which he ought to have got on target but was a nuisance to their defence in general.

Would you start him over Matt Smith (if he's back for Everton) or would you stick with the same team that won convincingly today? They're both similar players so it must be a judge of quality. Which one is better?

I will have to completely disagree, I think he is much better than Smith. Similar type of player but his play had purpose, rather than just randomly flicking it on, he was comfortable with the ball at his feet and was involved in some good passing moves. His movement was also much better than Smiths.

He was doing alot of talking on the pitch today and I think thats whats been missing at times this season someone whos going to gee everyone up and get them talking on the pitch he was encouraging that. I will reserve judgement on him a little he looked pretty slow which is kind of expected for a mid 30's player maybe more pitch time but he gives us experience and leadership on the pitch which is something that has been missing at times this season.

Edited by GlossopLatic