• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this would be the case, especially as a policeman told me that Everton fans have a bad reputation and that they are expecting trouble on saturday,

"Expecting trouble" means "expecting overtime", and "Bad reputation" means "justifying overtime", just as "Stabbing in the White Hart" means "no stabbing or incident of any kind in the White Hart".

If anyone else needs any police-speak translation work doing, I'm here all day.

"Expecting trouble" means "expecting overtime", and "Bad reputation" means "justifying overtime", just as "Stabbing in the White Hart" means "no stabbing or incident of any kind in the White Hart".

If anyone else needs any police-speak translation work doing, I'm here all day.

You won't be wanting their help if you get beaten up or mugged on Saturday then I take it?

Or does that not count?

You won't be wanting their help if you get beaten up or mugged on Saturday then I take it?

Or does that not count?

I'm no more concerned about the possibility of getting beaten up or mugged on Saturday than I am any other day of the week in any other circumstances. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll consider whether it's worth my while engaging the services of the police, such as they are.

It's not as simple as saying if you slag off the police you don't back them in anything they do. They're brave, they go in where most people wouldn't bother and they sometimes solve crimes, but they also take the piss on occasion, especially when it comes to football. We don't have to believe everything they say about potential threats either.

They are probably expecting trouble because plenty of fans were ejected from the Reebok when Everton played Bolton. It didn't help that Bolton had two full tiers nearly empty. It won't be like that at Oldham though because it'll be a sell out and it was easier to buy tickets for Bolton.

I usually purchase tickets from the ticket office a few days before the game, and pay for them with my debit card. After I'd done that the first time a few years ago, they now ask me to confirm my name and address before selling me the tickets. Why not ask everyone to do this, then when a big game comes up they will have a database of people who have purchased tickets before and thus "outsiders" will be stopped.

I usually purchase tickets from the ticket office a few days before the game, and pay for them with my debit card. After I'd done that the first time a few years ago, they now ask me to confirm my name and address before selling me the tickets. Why not ask everyone to do this, then when a big game comes up they will have a database of people who have purchased tickets before and thus "outsiders" will be stopped.

They only really do it for credit card purchases, possibly because someone has sold them a fast one in the process.

Would work but the IT bods on here don't think it would be all that cost effective, as it's too time consuming and would need updating periodically.