TP agrees with Corney - If it ain't broke, why fix it?

"The true test will come when we lose. We are doing our best; we can't do any more.At the moment people are saying nice things. If we had lost at Stevenage I'd have been getting caned. I don't think it's right - but maybe that's why I'm not cut out to be a manager."

"http://www.oldham-ch...-me-philliskirk

I think we are putting ourselves in a ridiculous situation...Philliskirk has again said he doesn't want the job, what happens if we were to lose the next two.....PANIC!!!

We need to get somebody in to assess the squad, sort out contract wise the wants from the dont wants etc.etc. and prepare for next season.

If the :censored: hits the fan and we start to lose games Any new man will only have 10 games to keep us up.

Anybody else think we are playing a dangerous game?

Anybody else think we are playing a dangerous game?

No. A few weeks I'd have agreed but the last few games have shown that we have the players and the collective nous to get out of it. We've shown that we can get out of a rut and that we don't need a miracle worker to turn us around.

"The true test will come when we lose. We are doing our best; we can't do any more.At the moment people are saying nice things. If we had lost at Stevenage I'd have been getting caned. I don't think it's right - but maybe that's why I'm not cut out to be a manager."

"http://www.oldham-ch...-me-philliskirk

Most overused phrase of the week!

Good to know he's firm on what he wants though, still think he'll be manager until the end of the current season with Dowie (or insert other name here) taking over then!

I don't understand TP. He has galvanised the club, an got us some momentum. It's batantly obvious he should get till the end of season, not just because he's won two league games because there are so few games left for another change.

The time to appoint someone else was as soon as dickov went.

No one in there right mind would blame him if it's goes belly up. He should have a job for life with the kids. So what has he got to lose by staying on till the end of the season? He keeps saying he doesn't want it/ he's not cut out for it. Fair enough long term, but for another ten weeks? He an gerrard are; imo the best chance we have to stay up now.

If any manager comes in with 8,9,10 games left. I think it would be curtains.

Most fans probably knew that the players were good enough just tactics wrong and one or two other minor things that conspired against us.

Now we have got somebody who can change things around we are getting the results we knew we were capable of.

Why change, ok we will lose a game or so between now and the end of the season but i bet we wont have a situation where we lose 4 or 5 on the bounce.

Best left now until season end , appoint a new man and start again.

I'm confident that TP will be in place to seasons end, even if we do a deal I could see whoever is coming in working in the background unless it really started to go tits up (which it won't). Tony seems like the people you see in any walk of life, happy to come and do his job, do it well and go home at the end of the day. Presumably he's financially secure, I would guess he could have moved on to different jobs in the coaching world had he wanted but he's stayed in his role at Latics. Run the show for a little longer TP, then step back with all of our thanks.

If someone came in now we would have to hope we get that new manager upturn in form that alot of clubs seem to get and not the alex mcleish effect!

That's the gamble I suppose. Unfortunately only the basics are being done with all the teams at the moment. TP has to decide who to keep and who to let go in the youth system, and get all the EPPP stuff sorted out. Who will do all this if he has to concentrate on the 1st team. OK Byrne and Murray are helping out with the reserves and coaching as well as others as it's all hands to the pump, but who will be scouting for next years players, and deciding who to offer new contracts to next season? It's not just what we can see on the surface, it's what needs to be done in the background which is suffering in my opinion. TP, PG and all the other staff are doing a great job, but is SC creating problems further down the line?

is SC creating problems further down the line?

No.

You really think that if a new man was in tomorrow he'd be focussing on anything other than keeping us in this league? Planning for next season won't happen when we know what division we'll be playing in. When we know that (and providing we don't go on a bad run that precipitated earlier action) we'll most likely appoint someone with next season and beyond in mind.

I don't think we'll lose a game under TP. He seems to be able to see what's going wrong and change it, just when it needs it to. Even against Everton in the 2nd half after they scored it got a bit flat so he tweaked a couple of things, the last 20-15mins was just us attacking them!! Just like 20 odd years ago!! Brilliant! For me, he can keep moaning until end if season, we'll probably finish top half now!!

Chris_ktf No one would blame him if it went belly up? Just have a look on here at the posts from the first half against Stevenage. It turns out there are a lot who would blame him.

I do really want him to stay but from TPs point of view is worth risking his job for life with the youth to find himself unemployed when we do eventually sack him as manager? Wonder if Les the physio regrets taking over Tranmere?

We'll have to wait and see what TP wants but if he's happy to stick it out to the end of the season and return back to the youths then then that's what should be done. Somebody is needed to steer the ship clear at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anybody better out there now. With the players' evident respect and willingness to play for TP which has been shown so far then it may rock the boat to bring in a new man now.

My gut feeling is TP will stick out the season and we'll get a rookie in in the summer. I've no qualms with a rookie coming in but now is not the time and TP remaining in situ is the best for everyone if he's happy to do it.

And you never know, keep winning and he may get the bug.

It seems the only thing Corney respects at this moment is the money he is saving. The don't fix it because it isn't broken line could lead us into disaster as we will start losing again.

It is certainly more likely that we can stay up because once again it is in our own hands but it could still go wrong and I agree that it will soon be too late to bring a new man in. I want someone who has served his time coaching before trying to manage. Fergy is right when he says moving from playing to managing is unwise - we don't want another Dickov. We don't want a player manager.

Corney could bring someone in to help with a view to letting them take over the management in due course. It isn't just about survival it is just as much about taking the club forward and upwards.

I do not understand why TP says he is not cut out for management because dropping a player is difficult to live with, but as Youth Boss he decides that careers are over for many youngsters.

I can understand that he may feel uncomfortable with decisions regarding contracts and who to bring in from outside, but at the moment what we need is a steady hand with what we have got until the end of the season.

I do not understand why TP says he is not cut out for management because dropping a player is difficult to live with, but as Youth Boss he decides that careers are over for many youngsters.

I can understand that he may feel uncomfortable with decisions regarding contracts and who to bring in from outside, but at the moment what we need is a steady hand with what we have got until the end of the season.

You make a really good point there.