A "Big" Question

Firstly, I always thought Asia was Japan and all them lot but nevermind.

Secondly, 'our Asians' are mostly Muslim Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. If you dont understand why a Pakistani Muslim doesnt come to football then thats probably why you are posting in this thread in a bemused manner.

Thirdly, our owner(s) are Jewish. See secondly.

Fourthly, Theyre all saving up for some new alloys innit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Premier_League

Secondly, 'our Asians' are mostly Muslim Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. If you dont understand why a Pakistani Muslim doesnt come to football then thats probably why you are posting in this thread in a bemused manner.

What does the owner being Jewish have to do with anything?

What does the owner being Jewish have to do with anything?

He's managed to offend everybody - a trick last pulled off spectacularly by Leeslover at the Stevenage game.

A Stevenage player was giving the dog's abuse to the lineswoman, so Leeslover gently points out that homophobia has no place in football.

Bemused face - I took a mate of Pakistan and muslim origin to a couple of Oldham games. Yes it was pre-TTA but we shared a house with a Jewish girl who ate bacon.

P.S. Japan is in East Asia surprisingly.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I found this interesting to watch:

It's far too recent history to have been forgotten, so I think that's a big reason why.

In addition to the above, I can't remember us having an Asian player in recent history. (I'm sure others here have a better knowledge of the club and will be able to confirm if I'm wrong).

If we did it would probably help draw in the Asian population of Oldham.

Approx 12% of the metropolitan borough of Oldham are Asian. The original poster is correct that our attendances don't appear to be reflective of that number.

In addition to the above, I can't remember us having an Asian player in recent history. (I'm sure others here have a better knowledge of the club and will be able to confirm if I'm wrong).

I once bought Baichung Bhutia for latics on an old edition of football manager ;)

To be fair cant really think of any other Indian/Pakistani players to grace english football

I once bought Baichung Bhutia for latics on an old edition of football manager ;)

To be fair cant really think of any other Indian/Pakistani players to grace english football

Was Chopra not part Indian? You'd have thought so given his surname. Was Bhatia the lad that played for Bury?

I'm a mixed race (Barbados/Oldham) season ticket holder and sit bottom right of the main stand and usually I only ever see one other black fan (think he's a disabled lad) for the Everton game there were about 8-10 Asian lads infront of us, all involved in the game chatting to everyone and I saw a few other Asian fans dotted around, did think it was nice to see some diversity in the crowd.

I would say the most shaken I have been as a fan was away when some of our older (not nice elderly gentlemen) fans came out with the foulest of abuse in the minute's silence for Keith Alexander away at one of the Southwestern games (not sure which and don't want to unfairly criticise). One of our party who heard it told a steward, the steward then told them who had told him, and it wasn't all that nice for the rest of the game. It's not nice knowing that you need to make sure nobody goes for a piss on their own when you are in the middle of your own fans. Fair play to you for not letting them get you down, I can well see why others don't feel up to that.

Leeslover the only thing that ever got me down at Latics was the Dave Penny era! Been to a few away games and I sometimes think not being on home turf makes fans more likely to be abusive/less inhibited, I was at Crewe (I think) a few years back where the No surrender to the IRA song started being belted out which I just couldn't fathom.

Think attracting these new fans will happen organically and if they don't there's no point forcing it unless there are major barriers we don't see, I started thinking about how long it took for women to be accepted into grounds and found this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2011/sep/21/english-football-shouldnt-ban-men same thing really just with sex not race.

Notts County away when we came back from a long run of not scoring a few fans were singing what I'm fairly sure sounded like "we've got the biggest n****rs in the league" and some pleb clearly off his face speant half time singing a saw about Jews and ovens. That said it's a small minority. I can say in my expierence it's a rare thing to see.

Edited by SholverBlue

It certainly seems ridiculous to me. Why would anyone be unhappy if more Asians were to attend?

I know (or now "knew") quite a few regulars who wouldn't want Asians walking freely, let alone in Boundary Park's perimetre. As mentioned above there's still a presence of it at Latics. Who it comes from I don't know exactly. Drunks, your "typical" fan or - as these videos point out - ultra-hardcore Combat 18 neo-Nazis - which is... Odd.

What ever happened to the Famous FYC anyway?

Waste of my life reading that :censored:e. :coffee1:

Well in a good position to comment on some of this having taught in several schools. The old free ticket chestnut is utter garbage it makes no difference. I have offered tickets as rewards and going back to late 1990s very few takers and usually an existing fan taking for a friend. Had piles of them in hundreds and simply not taken. Club generous but little interest. Even recall the club offering some old shirts to some kids from Chernobyl. Will never forget they wanted the carrier bags more because they could keep belongings dry in them. The tickets for games overlooked. Partly down to very few teachers being locals. A few names spring to mind ie the new head of local sec school who was a Spurs fan and never gave the impression he liked the town yet worked at the 6th form and later returned as head and nothing good to say about latics or the town in mid 90s. Others couldn't be bothered handing out as not interested.

Only my opinion but based upon working in area since 1986.

I remember getting those tickets from school - one of the ways I got into Latics (literally). Remember there being a handful of British-Asian kids in my class who I always notice didn't take them. I just recall it as being the norm back then and that Oldham had a racist reputation. Things have changed a hell lot since then though and could do with changing further.

Shocking what you learn though! Latics giving shirts to kids in Chernobyl? Christ... Great post though.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

Best explain this before the german scargill organises a march makes up a song and throws a smoke bomb. Thanks for them few anecdotal stories about how you once knew some guy who once said hello to an asian guy when you were a kid, and he once walked past a football pitch. Meanwhile, back in the real world, Imams and religious family heads still frown up and advise against spending money on what is viewed as a white christian sport, even if they dont know we are owned by Jews. Then even if there were a few youngsters who decide to break ranks and come to BP, they will almost certainly be racially abused or sneered at. No wonder they dont want to come!!! Jeeeez cant believe I had to explain that.

Didnt realise there were so many of you who lived in ivory towers.