matt smith is a wanted man

Fair play to him if he moves onward and upwards. I don't rate him but maybe a team with better service could see him score more goals. People say hes a target man because of his size but personally I think he is a poacher more than anything. His play with his back to goal is not great and I dont like the way we just hoof it up to him.

Maybe a team that played it on the deck and whipped in good crosses so he could solely concentrate on getting into the box might benefit him more.

Even though I don't rate his overall game he has shown he can run onto a corner and head it home against some of the best!

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may have had an Irn-Bru back in 99, that will be enough to get him a call up for Scotland, otherwise he needs to be pictured outside a Celtic Club in Luton wearing a Tartan Kilt.

His dad was born in Edinburgh and played for Queen’s Park, Hearts and Queen of the South. His granddad played for Clyde and St. Mirren.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I feel like i've woken up in some Royle Army led other world where downright average strikers are suddenly top class assets.

You could say that about some of the below average players at latics ( that would be most of them ) that get their asses licked week in week out, you know those who can't do no wrong, like our international captain marvel and Co.

Granted Smith's no Messi, But If he gets a better dea,l good luck to him.

His dad was born in Edinburgh and played for Queen’s Park, Hearts and Queen of the South. His granddad played for Clyde and St. Mirren.

Haha brilliant, I was unaware of this, it's is distinctively possible then that he'll get a call up at some point. :Scotland:

My take on him, he's :censored:, he would look fairly decent playing 11 a side on Clayton, yeah he's improved slightly and he gave us a great feeling against Everton at home, but Matty take your move while you can lad, have a season in the Championship with the likes of Barnsley, score 5 goals, and then go back to Uni lad.

I reckon he will definately start next season a step above our league.

I have had him down as being dog:censored: for most of the season, but the cup performances convinced me that we have played him all wrong most of the season.

He would score 15+ in Scotland................... I am a fat, balding 42 year old and reckon I would score a few playing for Celtic in the Dog & Duck league!

He is definately nothing special but everyone who talks to me about Latics (people who watched the cup games on TV) thinks he is :censored: hot.......... higher clubs will feel the same and take a chance for nothing!

He will get offers i know this, but i think its better if he stay with us.

For us possibly, but for him? Not a chance! He won't get a better chance to make a lot of money from football. As much as I rate him at our level in the role he plays, he needs skill with the ball at his feet and agility to make it at a higher level, he has neither.

Good luck to him, I have no problem with him making the most of his career.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the 12 (makes them sound like disciples that!) who attended the LJ Q&A session said SC confirmed Smith would be off to a Championship club in summer for 4x the money.

That was the gist of it.

Interesting that moreorless the next conversation was Huddersfield trying to push out Alan Lee on loan.

There's a gap coming for a big lump over t'hills.

Really? Is Smith really good enough for the Championship?

I don't think so. But I've always believed he'll score goals if utilised properly.

If I were him I'd take football's £££s before the game spits him out. But that will probably mean more reserve team football and substitute appearances, especially at a higher level. I can't see him being Lee Johnson's first choice either.

Edited by opinions4u

I don't think so. But I've always believed he'll score goals if utilised properly.

If I were him I'd take football's £££s before the game spits him out. But that will probably mean more reserve team football and substitute appearances, especially at a higher level. I can't see him being Lee Johnson's first choice either.

I don't think he's that good to be a top half league one player. But if he gets the opportunity to go higher then he can go with out blessing.