The Lee Johnson Appreciation Thread

The more I read about this boy, the less ridiculous the appointment sounds. He's young, hungry, intelligent, and knows his way around this level. Admittedly, he wouldn't have been my choice given the perilous position we find ourselves in, but there's no reason why (...given time) Lee shouldn't be successful here. Surely we'd be better off putting our energy into getting behind him and the team, rather than starting a witch-hunt against the chairman and/or him?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking about the new Bristol City Manager, LJ said:

"Obviously, things change quickly in football with managers going from hero to zero in an instant."

In 2009 on Life after football?

"I would love to be a coach or a manager but I understand that's not easy as there are not many clubs. I'm halfway through my coaching badges and, in a way, I have lived a managerial career since I was 10 because of the experiences my dad (Gary Johnson) has been through..."

I like what I heard on Radio Manc and what I've read from those who went to the meeting at BP. The proof of the pudding is what's served up by the players. Tomorrow is early for his philosophy to show through, but I'm a lot more optimistic now.

Welcome Lee, and the best of luck.

I didn't twig it at the time, but in an eventual acknowledgement from the Latics after my recommendation of a teenager from non league (Duncan Watmore) I was informed the next manager would be one who would be interested in developing this aspect.

Interesting that Lee Johnson spent some time as a young player in the Conference with Yeovil Town, most of his team mates went on to have good careers in the Football league so he will know there's some real potential out there.

I was asked if I was interested in working with the new set up, but had to decline for personal reasons, however, they will welcome any future recommendations.

Good to hear that and have you back on board !!!

On the OS, Simpson has been impressed by Johnson's enthusiasm and the team has been given a lot of freedom going forward. He says he's a great advocat of togetherness, stressing players must encourage team mates when they make a mistake rather than being critical of them.

"What last night showed was that he has started to instill those things into us, and I am sure it is only going to get better," he said.

http://www.oldhamath...son-725698.aspx

Nothing like a POSITIVE attitude eh!!.

Do that all day if you want to quote on everyone who was unhappy/bemused by the appointment. Really need to clam down on here though, everyone wanted Philliskirk after a good performance against a better side than Hartlepool.

great result but he got a reaction from the players thats all. im praying we stay up then next season spend a bit on a proper manager an have him as number 2 so he can learn what its all about

What qualify's as a proper manager then.

(had to take the bite didn't I )

great result but he got a reaction from the players thats all. im praying we stay up then next season spend a bit on a proper manager an have him as number 2 so he can learn what its all about

It's early days, but i see no reason why LJ can't be a "proper manager".

I was surprised like everyone on the appointment, but after hearing his ideas I've grown far more optimistic over the last couple of days then I have been in years, supporting latics. I was like many others on here wanting Dowie to get the job, it didn't happen for various reasons, so we couldn't get Dowie I'm pleased the we appointed a young hungry manager who was fast tracked by the FA rather than an old has been with a sting of relegations to to their name.

It's early days but you could see last night we had a clear plan and it's been a long time in the league I'd witnessed us playing attractive entertaining football. Give the man a chance, he's already identified our problem areas in a matter of days in which Dickov didn't seem to have a clue about in over 2 years.

Interesting!

As above, can you please define a "proper manager"....

Lee Johnson has come in and impressed the chairman and board enough to hand him a 2 year contract, if he wanted to learn the job as a number two or the board felt that was required he wouldn't be here. The club have made there move and as someone who was in the Q&A session, listened to the GMR interview and witnessed him (in two days) get this bunch of players too buy into everything he wanted us to do, I couldn't be more impressed at this VERY early stage. Ask any of the other 12 and I'm sure you'll find none of us that didn't see the players playing just as he said he would.

Credit to LJ for last night. There is a hell of a lot of work to do, but that is a perfect start.

He is not a short-term fix!!

Edited by eyres_28