We think we have it bad...

Just had a look at the league table, I'm shocked at the amount of recognisable former football league teams, Luton, Lincoln, Cambridge, Grimsby, Macc, Mansfield, Wrexham, Stockport. Never really associated these teams with non league, it really does show how precarious football is for the smaller clubs these days.

The old re-election system protected clubs from relegation for years, Rochdale, Tramps and Stockport benefited IIRC (just learned that one). It is now basically division 5. Maybe there should be 3 clubs down and up, promotion and relegation is very lob sided in L2. As time goes by many of those former league clubs will come back.

It's the circle of life, I believe there are only a couple of clubs in the Championship that haven't been in the prem. No promotion means that a few clubs have been in the top flight for ages. It must be boring being stuck in one division for years.

:grin:

Edited by Magic Mikey

The old re-election system protected clubs from relegation for years, Rochdale, Tramps and Stockport benefited IIRC (just learned that one). It is now basically division 5. Maybe there should be 3 clubs down and up, promotion and relegation is very lob sided in L2. As time goes by many of those former league clubs will come back.

It's the circle of life, I believe there are only a couple of clubs in the Championship that haven't been in the prem. No promotion means that a few clubs have been in the top flight for ages. It must be boring being stuck in one division for years.

:grin:

I could be wrong, but I've just been through the Champ table and counted 5. Or did you mean the top flight in general? (ie including pre the1992-1993 season)

I could be wrong, but I've just been through the Champ table and counted 5. Or did you mean the top flight in general? (ie including pre the1992-1993 season)

I've counted six - Bristol City, Huddersfield, Peterborough, Cardiff, Millwall and Brighton.

Just had a look at the league table, I'm shocked at the amount of recognisable former football league teams, Luton, Lincoln, Cambridge, Grimsby, Macc, Mansfield, Wrexham, Stockport. Never really associated these teams with non league, it really does show how precarious football is for the smaller clubs these days.

in most cases they've been replaced by clubs who are better run

There's a few others for some of us oldies remembering back to the 70's

Southport (good memories from game there Easter 74 in promotion season)

Newport

Kidderminster - more recent, though not In the league long.

Barrow

Hereford - Okey kokey, in then out again

And for even older listeners

Gateshead

Should have researched it first. Obviously top flight, which would be Cardiff and Posh.

There's a few others for some of us oldies remembering back to the 70's

Southport (good memories from game there Easter 74 in promotion season)

Newport

Kidderminster - more recent, though not In the league long.

Barrow

Hereford - Okey kokey, in then out again

And for even older listeners

Gateshead

Went to New Brighton once...was seasick going across on the Mersey Ferry.

Edited by BP1960