So the PR stunt worked a treat - even some of the more hardened owtb'ers have quickly changed their tune.

But it doesn't get around the fact that we're stuck with a 31 year old rookie.

A few Dickov-esque cliches, stats, hopes and expectations don't fool me and they shouldn't fool you either.

This is a cheap experiment for a club with no ambition and all today has proven is that Corney (and the majority of our fickle fan base) has once again been swayed by someone who can talk the talk.

I'll back the manager - it's not his fault he was offered the job - but this is the wrong time to experiment.

In one of my 1st bits on my post about the meet; I said I still think it's one heck of a risk......but having met him today; I can fully see why the board have taken that risk.

.....and when compared to Shefki "I will break them" Kuqi and the likes of Gregory, Little, Brown, Coleman and Tennent - he actually seems a decent bet afterall.

Proof will be in the pudding; but - in fairness to Lee; if we go down; it wont be his fault for the last 10 games he's been in charge for; its the fecked up 36 that have gone before.

Bring on tomorrow night; and let's see the reaction of the players.

Little Lee's Barmy Army!!!!

Corney: We don't do things on the cheap.

I can't believe people are buying into this bull:censored:.

If it works on the cheap, it works. That's what we have got. Let's back it. Support the new boss and I'll buy you a gallon if we go down

A man with literally no experience in football management surely can't convince so many people that he is so wise about the game.

He seems like a step above Dickov's level, hopefully he's more than 1 step above it and he also looks prepared after doing lots of research. That is probably why I don't feel like this is just all talk. It seems a lot deeper than just that, and he has actions like attending 5+ of our matches to prove it.

I don't feel 'stuck with him', I feel like we're going to progress with him. But excuse my optimism. It's all we really have at the moment.

Ultimately any appointment is a gamble. I think we're heading down as I think Dickov generally signed crap players that anyone would struggle to mould in 6 weeks. We probably need 15 points from 10 games. If we do it, I'll congratulate him. If not I hope he instills a little confidence for next year at the very least. I couldn't give a :censored: what he's said to anyone tonight. I turn up on a Saturday and the odd Tuesday, and I'll judge him on performances and results and nothing else. So far, I have no opinion other than to say we've got the same :censored:e squad we had yesterday.

A man with literally no experience in football management surely can't convince so many people that he is so wise about the game.

He seems like a step above Dickov's level, hopefully he's more than 1 step above it and he also looks prepared after doing lots of research. That is probably why I don't feel like this is just all talk. It seems a lot deeper than just that, and he has actions like attending 5+ of our matches to prove it.

I don't feel 'stuck with him', I feel like we're going to progress with him. But excuse my optimism. It's all we really have at the moment.

A man with practically no political experience very nearly destroyed the world.

Propaganda is a funny thing.

A decent bet after all? And what exactly are you basing that on?

All he has to offer is hope and expectation.

Compared to what? an experienced has been with lots of failure and media work on the CV? If we cant afford to sign a proven successful manager we should always take a gamble in my opinion. Some of the experienced names been touted around for the job really would have put me off setting foot inside BP again.

None of us, not SC, not Barry, not Lee Johnson, not any of us fans know what is going to happen.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I cannot see the point of starting from the position of it won't work.

Is that just to say I told you so?

You weren't the guy on Twitter hoping we get relegated are you?

So the PR stunt worked a treat

I accept it was a PR exercise getting a small group of supporters in. But what do you prefer? Do nothing or do something? The latter for me.

even some of the more hardened owtb'ers have quickly changed their tune. But it doesn't get around the fact that we're stuck with a 31 year old rookie.

The tune is the same from me. It's a big risk.

Nobody knows that more than Lee Johnson. He's painfully aware of the risks of personal failure. But he's also got his head screwed on. He's got a CV that says he understands the game at this level. He knows what success is at this level. He knows what the differentiators between mediocre and good are at this level.

Can a 31 year old gain respect in the dressing room? I think this one can. Dowie was part of the relegations at Hull and Newcastle. I'm not saying he caused them but neither is he an automatic saviour. Sammy Lee nearly took Bolton down. Phil Brown nearly took everybody down. Brian Horton took Macclesfield into non-league when tasked with saving them towards the end of last season.

So Lee Johnson is a risk. But less of a risk than most other clubless professionals of a similar age like, say, Mark Allott. That's not a slight on Mark, but Johnson has clear and long standing focus on being a football manager and displayed a knowledge of the game that's deeper than I've heard from previous managers.

A few Dickov-esque cliches, stats, hopes and expectations don't fool me and they shouldn't fool you either.

I accept I've opened myself up to PR. I accept I would have sat there three years ago and been taken in by Dickov. This guy has more to him than PD. Whether he can transfer that to dressing room, tactics and what happens on the pitch remains to be seen.

This is a cheap experiment for a club with no ambition and all today has proven is that Corney (and the majority of our fickle fan base) has once again been swayed by someone who can talk the talk.

Well that is what an interview process is about. What Corney did do was describe how Lee Johnson bettered other candidates with preparation and detail. He also described recommendations from others with little or no vested interest in Lee's success.

There is substance behind the words. Indeed, I had two questions prepared for him last night. He'd answered them within five minutes. I hadn't even asked them. Tempo of play and bombing on from midfield. We have neither. He expects it.

So if he takes us down we'll go with a ang.

I'll back the manager - it's not his fault he was offered the job - but this is the wrong time to experiment.

It's a statement that history may prove accurate. But perhaps it's no time to appoint a clapped out bull:censored:ting has been either.

It's worth going tonight folks.

Edited by opinions4u

Don't be silly. The main reason it was arranged was because of the 'free' social media which is this board. Over exaggerating doesn't win arguments.

Well I've been taken in by it.

One of the best things about LJ is that he isn't Phil Brown. ..

Here Here!

Couldn't have put it better myself, Now get behind the lads tonight and the manager in what could prove to be the biggest 90 minutes in Latics chequered history.

So the PR stunt worked a treat - even some of the more hardened owtb'ers have quickly changed their tune.

Those of us that were there are not idiots, we can form our own opinion and I stopped swallowing the party line when it comes to the dealings of Oldham Athletic a long time ago, however I do agree with the fact that who else could we have seriously got? Dowie apart, no-one else jumps off the page. Alan Knill? Sten Ternant? Sammy Lee? None of the names were hardly inspiring any of us did they really?

What this gives us is the chance of a new start, Johnson talks the talk, can seemingly back it up and we'll see over the next 10 games. I was encouraged at what I saw and heard yesterday, and the new guy, chairman and Barry Owen didn't receive an easy ride believe me. It was far from a love-in, more of a general consensus of 'Ok, you're here now, let's get on with it. Try and stay up and build from there. If it does go wrong let's go again in the Summer'

My main misgiving was the timing, that hasn't changed but at least we'll have a chance of keeping some of our better players if he wants them come the Summer - if they want to buy into his ethos. IMHO, we have bagged ourselves a slightly younger up to speed Iain Dowie, for half the price and none of the baggage. Lee Johnson is shrewd, he is on the same page as us regarding the shortcomings in the squad, and anyone who tells players to take ear-rings out at training and threatens players with fines for the wrong choice of footwear, understands how little things can make a difference. He probably knows more about the squad than Dickov ever did.

He's here now, like it or lump it we need to get behind him, especially for these remaining 10 Cup Finals….

Edited by oafcprozac

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. To be fair before I went yesterday I could totally relate to what your saying. Don't you think it's strange though that 12 people plucked at random from this message board from completely different walks of life and backgrounds have all been fooled.

I went in there yesterday pretty down and with a poor opinion of the club and the way it was being run. I had a list of questions I wanted answering, and all if them were answered and answered honestly. I get the feeling most of the others there all felt the same.

It would have been really easy for him to get people fired up by saying 'we're not going down, it won't happen' blah blah. He didn't need to make any false promises, we might go down. If we do it won't be him to blame.

I don't blame you for thinking negatively about this appointment. I don't think he is a 'cheap' option, and if he is cheap then we've got a bargain. We'll see over the next 10 games. He's got a very tough job, to pull this lot together, but if he can, we all know they players can do it. That's why I'm confident he'll pull things round.

Edited by CD's Orange Heels