One swallow doesn't make a Summer but…..

Everything LJ said yesterday, was apparent tonight, high tempo, pressing, quality balls into danger areas. Most pleasing was not giving up once the attacks broke down, the 2nd goal came from a good 2nd phase cross. Time and again we had long periods of pressure. We had a ropey 20 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half but Baxter's cracker came just at the right time. Special mentions for Corey Smith who looks a player, everything goes in front of him, Tarky had a very good game against the old war-horse Howard and Barnard ran his blood to water.

Manager Watch:

Constant reassurance, coaching and direction from the sideline. Lots of interaction with TP, CB and PG. Subs at exactly the right times, and it couldn't have gone any better for him.

His shoes were a bit :censored: though….

Dickov claimed the players couldn't follow or listen to instructions, well bugger me they did tonight and reaped the rewards. Not getting carried away, Saturday and Easter Monday are absolutely huge and for the system to work properly, we do need genuine pace up front. So please that Jose got back to free role where he does so much damage.

The crowd:

Very supportive, the quick-fire goals helped but the reception for the new guy was respectful. Understandably nervy when Hartlepool had more possession at the start of the 2nd half. The 3rd goal was crucial and thankully everyone relaxed once that went in.

Bouzy - Very little to do 6

Brown - Pushed on more, less hoofing looked calmer 7

M'Voto - Dominant, bullied a little at times by Howard but a decent night's work 7

Tarky - Odd iffy moment, but dominated Howard once he went one on one with him. Arguably MOM but i'm giving it Barney 8

Grounds - Back to his old self, found time and space put a couple of cracking crosses in 7

Croft - A good hour then bollocksed, more crosses than recently and couple of efforts on goal 7

Smith - A very good footballer, forward pass every time. Sticks his foot in 8

Wes - Looks more like his old self, getting stuck in kept it simple 7

Baxter - Much more relaxed when he can play off the cuff, cracking goal and a threat all night 8

Simpson - More like his old self when he can be arsed, put a real shift in. Great header for the all important first goal. 7

Barnard - Ran his arse off all night, especially when the supporting cast dropped deeper in that ropey spell. Deserved a goal for sheer effort and central to allowing the other three behind him to get up field. My MOM 9

Subs:

Millar - couple of cracking crosses again 6

Iwelumo - Little impact, game was won perhaps should have scored had he reacted quicker to an excellent cross from the left 5

Obita - Came on at the right time, couple of decent runs, and a cross that CI shopuld have stuck in had be been more mobile 6

All in all encouraging, it's a foundation. 9 cup finals remain…..

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything LJ said yesterday, was apparent tonight, high tempo, pressing, quality balls into danger areas. Most pleasing was not giving up once the attacks broke down, the 2nd goal came from a good 2nd phase cross. Time and again we had long periods of pressure. We had a ropey 20 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half but Baxter's cracker came just at the right time. Special mentions for Corey Smith who looks a player, everything goes in front of him, Tarky had a very good game against the old war-horse Howard and Barnard ran his blood to water.

Manager Watch:

Constant reassurance, coaching and direction from the sideline. Lots of interaction with TP, CB and PG. Subs at exactly the right times, and it couldn't have gone any better for him.

Dickov claimed the players couldn't follow or listen to instructions, well bugger me they did tonight and reaped the rewards. Not getting carried away, Saturday and Easter Monday are absolutely huge and for the system to work properly, we do need genuine pace up front. So please that Jose got back to free role where he does so much damage.

The crowd:

Very supportive, the quick-fire goals helped but the reception for the new guy was respectful. Understandably nervy when Hartlepool had more possession at the start of the 2nd half. The 3rd goal was crucial and thankully everyone relaxed once that went in.

M'Voto - Dominant, bullied a little at times by Howard but a decent night's work 7

Tarky - Odd iffy moment, but dominated Howard once he went one on one with him. Arguably MOM but i'm giving it Barney 8

Grounds - Back to his old self, found time and space put a couple of cracking crosses in 7

Croft - A good hour then bollocksed, more crosses than recently and couple of efforts on goal 7

Baxter - Much more relaxed when he can play off the cuff, cracking goal and a threat all night 8

Simpson - More like his old self when he can be arsed, put a real shift in. Great header for the all important first goal. 7

Barnard - Ran his arse off all night, especially when the supporting cast dropped deeper in that ropey spell. Deserved a goal for sheer effort and central to allowing the other three behind him to get up field. My MOM 9

Subs:

Iwelumo - Little impact, game was won perhaps should have scored had he reacted quicker to an excellent cross from the left 5

Obita - Came on at the right time, couple of decent runs, and a cross that CI shopuld have stuck in had be been more mobile 6

Re the shoes...there was a bit of banter with someone in the main stand: said person suggested a pair of doc martins and johnson responded along the lines of " nah cuban heels"

He does actually look really short! he made Kirk miller looked tall!

Chuffed to bits with that tonight.

Seems to be a man of his word; most of what was covered with us in the fans Q&A was on show tonight.

Tempo, pressing and "hunting in packs", breaking forward with purpose and in numbers, momentum building of pressure, players free to express themselves......etc

Right down to the exact minute when he said he'd sub Croft for Millar.

So, he's backed up his words with actions - and i dont think in his wildest dreams would he have imagined it would have gone quite so well on his debut.

He has to now make sure the players kick on from this. He's had his initial say; and he's had a reaction. Hopefully they're all fully on-board after that tonight; and Lee's able to build on that and take us onto Shrews and beyond, with the same mentality and belief.

As has been said, very; very early days - but a great win and real promising signs. Well done Lee, well done the players.

Chuffed to bits with that tonight.

Seems to be a man of his word; most o

f what was covered with us in the fans Q&A was on show tonight

Tempo, pressing and "hunting in packs",

breaking forward with purpose and in numbers, momentum building of pressure, players free to express themselves......etc

Right down to the exact minute when he said he'd sub Croft for Millar.

So, he's backed up his words with actions - and i dont think in his wildest dreams would

he have imagined it would have gone quite so well on his debut.

He has to now make sure the players kick on from this. He's had his initial say; and

he's had a reaction. Hopefully they're all fully on-board after that tonight; and Lee's able to build on that and take us onto Shrews and beyond, with the same mentality and belief.

As has been said, very; very early days - but a great win and real promising signs. Well done Lee, well done the players.

Thoughts on brown tonight sly out of interest? I thought he looked much improved tonight.

Edited by Schlieb

Lee Johnson is now statistically Oldham's greatest manager of all time!

Don't you mean the Worlds greatest manager.

All this after a couple of training sessions and a one to one with each player.

All I can think for the future is "watch this space"!

Edited by laticsrblue

Good win and a lot better performance this evening. Nice to have met you before the match and it would appear from the way the players carried out their duties that L.J. has already chewed some ears and got the response and result that he wanted.

Hope it carries on at Shrewsbury on Saturday.

Would agree that one swallow does not make a summer but am sat here very happy having had a couple of ales. However, we could have been 3 down in the first 5 minutes and they could have had 4 in the second half. We were very vulnerable to crosses into the box the whole game despite mVoto and Tarky performing heroically. At times I didn't see anything that much different than under different administrations but in retrospect the 4 3 3 worked in that Baxter while not seeming to have a really good game still managed to make 2 and score one. Smith had an excellent first half and then tired but I think he may be here for the long term. Grounds was better than his usual excellent self and the free kick routine with Baxter would have provided the goal of the season had MVoto not leapt like a salmon in winter rather than spring.

All in all a crucial win and more so after Bury won as well, Anything from the next 2 games will be a bonus and then it comes down to the nitty gritty.

Lots to be positive about but lets not get too giddy, he might tell a good tale but he's not the Messiah .....yet

Lee Johnson is now statistically Oldham's greatest manager of all time!

Mongs of doom will now hopefully pipe down for a while!

Brilliant!

Prozac & Sly have it spot on. But why was Tarky marking Howard when it should gave been Mvoto? We got away with it tonight, thanks in part to a great save by Bouzy early doors but it looked like an uncomfortable mismatch all night for me.

Great win though. 9 or 10 great high-octane performances rather than 2 or 3. That's the standard.

Manager Watch:

The crowd:

Subs:

Spot on although my ratings on a few players would be slighty different enjoyed tonight one of the better performances i seen in a long time at home. Yes his first game ,yes Hartlepool where not at there best. But the manner in which we played, the way he explained potential tactics last night at the meeting could be seen.

Edited by oafctom

Result aside, I thought the performance tonight was very impressive, yes we let them have to many corners and if we were playing a team within the top 10 the scoreline may be different but there was hunger, desire & body's on the line tonight. Very professional & organised performance.

Bouzy - Not much to do but dealt with the majority that came his way (6)

Brown - I thought was very impressive tonight, imho his best performance in a tics shirt (7)

M'Voto - The man was a stallion at the back, a rock as always, although I wish he'd pay more attention to a look for a pass rather than "hoof" (8)

Tarky - Good game, a few mistakes but made some crucial interceptions and tackles (7)

Grounds - Did his job with very little fuss as always, got forward with menace (7)

Croft - The guy has come into his own in recent matches, needs to work on the fitness, maybe the loss of the ear-ring may help ;) (7)

Weso - Put in a captains performance tonight, was all the over the place, a little terror (7)

Baxter - Exceptional, got the impression he has been given a "free role" was all over the place (9 MOM)

Simmo - A performance of old, although I still thinks he looks for the foul over anything else, very assured performance though capped by a good header (7)

Barnard - Ran his a**se off tonight, did caused there defence all sorts of bother (8)

K Smith - Very assured in midfield, broke there attacks down and helped cause issues going forward, close 2nd for MOM (9)

Subs

Millar - Looks like challenging Croft for a first team place, looked good at Tranny & followed that up today by a decent cameo (6)

Fat Bastard - Need I say anything more! (5)

Obita - Struggling to see what he offers over Montano - Didn't have time to make any impact tonight (6)

Manager

Decent start for our new "gaffer" looked busy on touchline and seemed to be in control of the players. Tougher tests to come though (8)

Thoughts?

I like the look of this new lad. I really like this innovative tactic of playing strikers up front instead of in midfield. That could catch on, that.

Not getting carried away and all that, I know it was 'only Hartlepool', but you can only play what's in front of you and asking for more than 3 points, 3 goals and a clean sheet would be a bit greedy. Hopefully after 2 assists and a goal the debate about where Baxter should play is over. Made up for him when he scored, he desperately needed that goal. I've never seen a player so frustrated and angry with themselves when we were winning comfortably, I can only assume he still hadn't got the penalty miss out of his system (that and the fact that he's from Bootle so he's bound to be angry at the world). Have to mention the superb save Bouzanis made with his legs early on when it was still 0-0 - if that had gone in it could have been a very different game. Lot of positives to take from tonight.

Well after saying I would never go again if this appointment were true because of corney not lj i thought support the guy things cant be any worse.

I decided to go in the sponsors lounge and I must say I was pleasantly suprised when just gone 7pm lee johnson walked in and gave a 5 minute talk on his thoughts for the match and how he wants us to play.

Basically said it's not about going out trying not to lose our last lot of games but going out trying to win them.

Said he has been impressed with the lads work rate in training and will play baxter in the "hole" as its best position and its all about creating chances.

This guy wants to improve everything at the club even the music before kick off! Nice of him to talk to us before such a big game and he is super keen to crack on and win back the fans for the club.