Who would you keep?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guilty as charged! Was going to ask if a couple of injuries all season constitutes getting on a bit these days but decided to steer clear!

Didn't realise it posted my quote - apologies.

Ha ha!

Welcome.

And in most people's book a couple of niggles doesn't mean he's past it.

You'll see other posters who would have Cliff back in the first team in a flash. Certainly a good professional to have around the place.

Back from my holidays, so I've missed the last 3 games. But - prior to that; from what I've seen all season & being honest - the only 1st team regulars I'd keep for next year are Baxter, M'Voto and Grounds.

But, I think Baxter will be sold; and I can see JYM having better financial packages put his way and so leaving us too. So; that leaves Grounds then.

Of the extended squad, on the right terms I'd offer Tarky another deal as the 3rd choice CB for next season; as I think for this level; he's a decent bet in that role. I wouldn't be adverse to him being a 1st choice; but I'd be more comfortable with him in a replacement / squad role, developing again as he goes.

I could see Millar being offered a fresh deal off the back of what LJ said at the meeting - seemed to rate him; and I guess his impact these last few games won't have harmed that at all, and I rate Mellor as a midfielder and would be more than happy to see him also offered terms.

I think Sutherland is a real prospect too; and I'm not sure if he has another YTS year left or whether he'll have to be offered full pro terms, but either way, I'd want him involved.

For the rest?

They've got us in this mess, and some of them I just don’t rate, some I do actually think are decent players for this level who have just massively underperformed this season. But either way; over this season; they're the ones who got us where we are in the league; and with 3 different managers; each with their own styles and ways & means; the results and performances have continued. The players need to have a good long look at themselves for that.

Simpson? Connor Brown? Wesoloski? Montano? - all can go for me.

Croft is a tough one as whilst he's been our highest assist maker; I think he's contributed along with the others to where we are now. Up until Jan; he was pretty poor all told, and his fitness has been a big debate all season.

Byrne too is tough; but being critical; he hasn't been the out & out vocal leader I expected him to be; and his age, his lack of pace and latterly his injuries mean it's a heavy-hearted release for him.

Dan Taylor hasn't kicked on, and even with the fresh outlooks of TP and LJ as managers; they too have overlooked him; just as PD did. It looks like he's not got it to kick on into professional football from youth football.

I wouldn't have actually offered Dean Furman and Matt Smith fresh deals either - but it's nailed on both are leaving anyways so that covers that.

Bouzy and Cisak? If they get offer terms and stay; so be it - but for me; we should be looking elsewhere and let them leave.

In a season where wages and playing budget are again going to be key - squad filler like Glen Belezika and Connor Hughes I think should be also got rid of; neither have kicked on; and being honest; I don’t see wither doing either - so even though they won't be on lots (comparatively); I think it'd be better spent elsewhere.

I not usually a fan of ripping up and starting again season on season. But, that's usually because there is something to look to build around, something to build upon. This lot? Nah - rip it up and start afresh with players who LJ wants, can work with and are prepared to take on his messages and actually give a :censored:e and deliver out on the pitch.

Mostly agree Sly except about Belezika, he's been out with a long term injury and having seen his recent reserve team outings I have to say he's been very impressive.

Big, powerful, committed, composed, strong in the air, quick and distributes the ball well...he has everything you need from a centre back.

It would not surprise me to see him make the first team, even in the few games left this season.

Edited by BP1960

People saying wes can go ? He's contracted for another year . So we pay him off !? He's still young with plenty of experience and has been promoted out of this division in the past . Decent centre mid at this level hasn't been helped having numerous partners in the middle.

Mvoto will get better offers and will unfortunately leave . Agree that simpson should be a goner and to think how the majority of us saw it as a coup we re-signed him last summer.

I see a player in tarky as does Lj (official website last week) as long as the wages suit is I'd give him another deal . Interesting to see if croft has better offers I would like to see him stay , assists have been vital . Connor brown can go for me far too negative , lightweight and poor in possession .

Not bothered which keeper stays both good with room to improve under gerrard .

Montano needs to improve looks a poor investment , contracted for another year . Not seen enough of dan Taylor but looks as if the writings on the wall if he isnt even catching the match day squads . I'd give mellor and Winchester 6 month deals unsure on millar but Lj has seen something in him .

So much depends on last six games and what division we will be in . Lj sees what we don't in training . In the 'meeting with the 12' the manager said he had plenty of targets for recruits in the summer so he may already know a few of his released list .

Those that have contracts

Montano

Baxter

For the first team

Bouzanis

Tarky

M'voto

Grounds

Croft

Wes

Smith (if he doesn't go to stoke)

For the bench

Simmo

Dan Taylor

Mellor

Millar

Winchester

so you basically keep all the shower of :censored:e that has got us into this predicament in the first place?

wes can go, as can simpson, smith i couldnt care less if he stayed or went, he is a squad player at best, and montano can go even tho he is under contract, ive really not seen enough from him

IIRC the only 4 players under contract are Grounds, Wesolowski, Montano and Baxter. While none of the four are blameless this season I wouldn't get rid of any of them in the summer.

As for the rest:

'Keepers - I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cisak goes on to play at a higher level that Bouzanis but for the here an now I think Bouzanis has earned his place and a new contract next season. Cisak will go. I'm sure he can get regular 1st team football elsewhere and he can't rely on us making him a regular. He's got potential but we won't miss him. I'm assuming that Jacob is a work in progress and Gerrard will be player/coach so we should be covered for 'keepers.

Full backs - I'm sure we'll want to keep Grounds but other than that it's a bit up in the air. If Brown's going to be backup then that could suit us for both full-back positions but we'll definitely need at least another right back. Not expecting that we'll keep Bessone but if he's good enough then that's a bonus. I wouldn't keep Winchester or Mellor on as full-backs but if we have them in the squad they could cover if needed.

Centre backs - I'd want us to keep all three current 1st team centre backs but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mvoto moves on to the Championship, he'd be a good young and relatively cheap investment for clubs at that level. If Tarky plays alongside an experienced centre back I think he'll do well next year so the 4 in the squad I'd realistically have would be Byrne, Tarky, a solid L1 centre back in his peak (probably aged 27-31) and Belezika.

Centre Mid - Wes did better than I expected last year but has disappointed this year. I think he's worth keeping as I think he could be a good foil for a creative midfielder. I'd like to see Winchester and Mellor get a chance to prove themselves in the middle next year, I wouldn't be gutted if they left but I think there's something to work with for both of them if they get the right guidance. I'm guessing that Murray might be staying as a coach. Korey Smith looked good but I'd be surprised to see him here next season and I have no idea about Bobby Reid.

Wingers - Montano showed earlier in the season that he has talent and it sounds like he's had a difficult year off the pitch and with injuries. I doubt we'll get a better upgrade so I'd want to see us to try and get the best out of him. Croft would be a good player to keep for a lot of reasons, he lacks the pace to take on full backs but gets a lot of assists, has a decent cross on him, is a smart passer of the ball and helps the right back out a lot defensively. If we go for a young right back then Croft would be very important to us. Great to hear that Millar did well on Saturday but I think he needs a couple more of those games to earn a contract. I guess the same applies to Connor Hughes although I doubt he'll get the chance.

Forwards - The Furman and Wes partnership would've been the biggest disappointment this season if it wasn't for Robbie Simpson. How he could be so effective last season and so dismal this is very difficult to understand regardless of being played in a different position. He has to go. Smith seems to be going too, won't be too disappointed to see him leave but he'll get a well deserved "thanks and good luck". Iwelumo and Barnard will be gone, Barnard because a lot of League One teams with bigger budgets will want him and Iwelumo because he has the turning circle of an oil tanker with half the pace of one. If Baxter wants to stay then fantastic but I could see us selling him before the start of next season.

Which only leaves us with Dan Taylor who I think we should keep and develop over the next couple of years. He's a little green but has shown some positives that we can work with. He reminds me of Jamie Mackie. He got released from MK in League One and joined Exeter in the Conference. He spent the first two years developing at the club and coming off the bench a lot in his 2nd season but by the 3rd season was well into double figures by January before getting a 6 figure move to the Championship. From there he played a big part in getting QPR to the Premier League and scored the goal that nearly snatched the title away from City at the Etihad. Taylor is this type of player and one who could pay us back with goals in a year or 2. Worth the gamble imo.

So that would give us a squad of about 14/15 players leaving room for about 7/8 signings and youth graduates to make up the squad. I know some people would want to rip the squad apart and start again but with the players on the list above that I think will/should go we'd still need to replace them with a right back, a centre back, a couple of centre mids, 2 or 3 strikers and possibly a winger. That's still quite a turnover of players.

Of course if we drop into League 2 then we'll struggle to keep a lot of the players we want.