Who would you keep?

Out of this seasons shower of :censored:e? Excluding the loan players.

For me, Baxter, M'voto, Grounds and Croft.

Probably keep one of the keepers they are not the worst I have seen at BP.

I genuinely wouldn't mind replacing the rest of them.

*Edit to say this is hypothetical, I guess our best players could well be off, especially if relegated!

Edited by Oh Heck C-Beck

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baxter

M'Voto

Grounds

Croft

Bouzanis

Presume these already have a contract:

Wesolowski

Brown

Tarkowski

Montano

I'd like to say i'd keep Smith, but at the end of the day, his impact in the league has been diabolical - apparently going to a higher level anyway - Christ knows how.

To play in the first team:

Cisak

Grounds

M'Voto

Byrne

Baxter

To fight for a place:

Croft

Montaño

Wesolowski

Tarkowski

Bouzanis

To be on the fringes:

Mellor

Winchester

Millar

Taylor

Brown

Not sure about Sutherland and Hughes.

I'd have put Matt Smith in the second category, but I'm assuming he won't be giving serious consideration to a Latics contract.

What I'm saying is that we're six or seven players away from having a team. Christ.

Edited by opinions4u

Even though I like both of the keepers I would like someone who is a little more reliable as a number 1.

Would like to keep:

- M'Voto

- Grounds

- Tarkowski

- Croft

- Wesolowski

- Baxter

Definitely get rid of:

- Brown (unreliable and constantly switches off)

- Byrne (getting on a bit and injuries starting to kick on, possibly try and keep in some kind of coaching role)

- Smith (if he wants to go, let him go, he isn't anything special)

And without doubt Robbie Simpson, only shows up in the big games and can't fit into the squad in his position

Obviously, not included loan players because they will be going back to their teams but none of them have really set the world alight anyway

Out of this seasons shower of :censored:e? Excluding the loan players.

For me, Baxter, M'voto, Grounds and Croft.

Probably keep one of the keepers they are not the worst I have seen at BP.

I genuinely wouldn't mind replacing the rest of them.

*Edit to say this is hypothetical, I guess our best players could well be off, especially if relegated!

The sad thing is most of our players are actually decent at this level, what we lack is leaders and some bite.

Of the perceived first teamers I'd keep

Bouzanis (I think Cisak is going regardless of what we do)

M'voto

Tarky

Grounds

Wes

Baxter

Montano

Croft

Brown I haven't seen enough to make an informed opinion but from the little I have seen I'm not bothered either way, he could be ok backup.

Smith is going anyway but again wouldn't necessarily be first choice.

Simpson can :censored: off.

Barnard we have no chance of signing imo.

Cliff Byrne seems to be moving towards coaching and out of the playing side. I'd be happy if he stayed on playing terms as backup as well though, one of the few positives of this season.

When you look at the squad it's actually hard to see how we aren't higher up the division, it really it is down to lack of backbone and leadership in my opinion. Main target in the summer has got to be a real leader in central midfield and at the back and obviously we will need strikers to replace smith and simpson. We could also do with another winger who can offer us something different.

Edited by LeylandLatic

Lot of time for Byrne. Not played a lot but happy to muck in and support TP while he had the job and now Johnson.

Someone who has captained a club to promotion twice from League One. A far better example of captain material than the one who recently jumped ship.

Edited by ChrisA

I'd do what we can to hang onto M'voto.

Would like Croft, Grounds, Montano, Bouzy and the majority of the youth to stay, but not bothered if they don't.

Ideally, I'd like Baxter to stay, but I'm not sure if we're becoming over-reliant on him. We need to know how to use him in a team. He's carried the rest of the team for long periods this season and that isn't good. I'd rather have a eleven players, all who clearly understand what their roles are and how they contribute to a unit, rather than having ten players hoping one player will bail them out.

The rest can leave.

Edited by JoeP

Byrne

Tarky

JYM

Grounds

Croft

Wes

Baxter

Monty, Brown, Winchester , Belzthingy in reserve, giving another chance throughout the season.

The rest can go. Smith has had a couple of cup games, little else. Taylor hasn't progressed. Big Chris...no comment. Barnard? Seriously can't see why he hasn't had similar abuse- done sod all. Korey Smith might be worth another look. Simpson...even less than no comment. The two keepers - ok, but no great loss. I'd like an experienced keeper. mellor and Hughes - time to move. Millar looks a bit better and might be worth keeping so long as it's for peanuts.

All in all, i'd keep 11-12, add a couple of kids like Sutherland and look to sign at least 13.

Despite the utter dross we witnessed yesterday I would still keep the majority of this squad. While its fair to say we will need a fair amount of fresh blood next season, we do need to keep a certain level of continuity

OP4U has it right when he says we are about 6 players away from a decent side If they are the right players it can be enough to make a significant difference.

Johnson needs to bring in guys who are going to fit his way of playing and are going to buy into his methods. He needs to have a few guys out there who are going to be his voice on the pitch 2-3experienced pro's coming in could make the younger lads sit up abit and give them the guidance that they need. Looking at the forward line Smith will likely go, Iwelumo and Barnard aren't likely to stick around Simpson I'm not arsed about and we may strugle to keep Baxter So forwards need to be top of the list.

I'd still be looking in the local premier league and championship sides for loans and players released we have a young side and we do need experience but their is enough talent available to send out on loan or being released waiting for us to pick up. I think we all agree aswell that we'd like to keep Grounds, Mvoto and Baxter look where we got these guys from.

I'd like to think we keep an eye on the local non-league players to see if their are any rough diamonds in their too. Theirs your que BP1960 :)

Try to keep Grounds, Baxter and Croft although i imagine two of them at least will move on, and maybe give some of our own youngsters another season to prove themselves depending on what division they are playing in.

As for the rest of them, whilst these players are far from the worst in terms of ability, as far as application, desire to win, mental toughness and commitment to the cause goes, this has to be the worst Oldham team I have ever watched.

May sound a little strong granted, but the rest of the 'big game wonders' can go. Gutless isn't a strong enough word for most of them.

Edited by Lookers_Carl