Who would you keep?

the players contracted for next season are baxter,wes,grounds and montano.the club have 1yr options on cisak,brown and taylor.brown may have already trigged a contact due to the number of games he has played?smith will be a free agent as he will be 24 before 30june.who is kept is down to opinions and which div we play in.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarky and Mvoto can be binned. :censored:test defence we've had in years, a million miles away from Rubes and Greegs and few seasons back.

You can't come to that assessment without going to games.

Rubes was diabolical every other game.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

You can't come to that assessment without going to games.

Rubes was diabolical every other game.

He definitely was towards the end, but give us two very very good seasons. Not bad at all for a free agent who cost us nothing, would always give him a massive round of applause anytime he came back to Boundary Park

Tarky and Mvoto can be binned. :censored:test defence we've had in years, a million miles away from Rubes and Greegs and few seasons back.

Why don't people rate these two? Sure they make the odd mistake but they do a fair bit right for a young pair.

Toughen them up and we'll struggle to find a better CB team of Tarky, M'Voto and Byrne (experience and coaching).

I'd keep:

-Wesolowski

-Baxter

-Croft

-Byrne(Backup and coaching team)

-Bouzanis+an experienced veteran keeper

-M'voto(He'll probably be gone)

-Millar (looks a good prospect and hasn't had much game time)

-Taylor(another prospect)

-Grounds

-Tarkowski as he is young and will learn from his mistakes

In:

-Experienced Keeper

-Poacher(a quick ankle biter who's always hassling defenders and knows where the net is)

-Another striker depending on who leaves

-New right back (Don't rate Connor Brown)

-Another Centre midfielder but i'd try and keep Korey Smith instead

-Some experience

-And a winger maybe?

All of this depends on who leaves and the first player i'd get rid of is Simpson.He only turns up when he feels like it(Fa cup?)and is more interesting in injuring the opposition than having an impact on the game!

We've conceded the same number of goals as the team in 8th, and only 2 more than the teams in 2nd and 3rd. We've scored the third fewest in the league. It's fairly clear where the problem lies - without Baxter we'd be down already.

I'd like to keep:

Bouzanis (happy with either keeper but we can get a fee for Cisak if we take up option on extending his contract)

Brown

Tarky

Byrne (good cover & experience)

Mvoto (but he'll get better offers & must regret turning clubs down last year)

Grounds

Montano

Baxter (must have a clause if relegated)

I'd have a serious rethink about midfield. Need more goals from midfield. I love Crofts work ethic but full backs know he'll never take them on.

I'd also think about how many young lads we keep on. Millar & Mellor did well yesterday & Winchester was great against Liverpool but we've had 3 managers & lots of coaches who didn't feel they could trust them. Id like to see them given a chance but it's tricky to pitch them into a relegation scrap.

We've conceded the same number of goals as the team in 8th, and only 2 more than the teams in 2nd and 3rd. We've scored the third fewest in the league. It's fairly clear where the problem lies - without Baxter we'd be down already.

For a team battling relegation we haven't suffered major dickings, so many times we have lost to the odd goal. We've held our own many times but not stuck the ball in the onion bag.

I really don't get why people rate brown! How he has managed to get through the youth at Sheffield utd with a touch like he has Christ! Like he is being passed a bomb every time he touches it! Millar and Mellor changed the game on Saturday millar with his pace and willingness to run and Mellor sitting and spraying that ball! These two I think could be the real thing. Would give them both starts on Tuesday.

I would get rid of;

Brown

Simpson

Montano

Taylor

Cisak

Players to keep,

Wes

Byrne (showed he is more than just a player will fight for the cause just as much on the touchline)

Bouzanis (as back up and bring in someone quality)

Mvoto

Baxter

Smith (we could do a lot worse)

Croft

I just hope LJ sticks to his word and spends time doing his homework on any new signings.

Not so sure about that, the problem for me is that Mvoto is a top defender at this level but is not a talker/leader so pair him with someone like Greegs and we would be in great shape at CB. Tarky and Mvoto just don't work well together for me, too similar, too quiet and not sure we can wait for Tarky to gain the necessary experience and confidence.

I'd keep them both but find Mr Greegans clone.....easy :)

I might be over egging it here, but I reckon if we had Greegs we would be in safely in mid table now.

The Gregan of DP's season for sure, the problem is Gregan wouldn't be anywhere near that level at the moment. His Achilles injury probably finished him off.

Back from my holidays, so I've missed the last 3 games. But - prior to that; from what I've seen all season & being honest - the only 1st team regulars I'd keep for next year are Baxter, M'Voto and Grounds.

But, I think Baxter will be sold; and I can see JYM having better financial packages put his way and so leaving us too. So; that leaves Grounds then.

Of the extended squad, on the right terms I'd offer Tarky another deal as the 3rd choice CB for next season; as I think for this level; he's a decent bet in that role. I wouldn't be adverse to him being a 1st choice; but I'd be more comfortable with him in a replacement / squad role, developing again as he goes.

I could see Millar being offered a fresh deal off the back of what LJ said at the meeting - seemed to rate him; and I guess his impact these last few games won't have harmed that at all, and I rate Mellor as a midfielder and would be more than happy to see him also offered terms.

I think Sutherland is a real prospect too; and I'm not sure if he has another YTS year left or whether he'll have to be offered full pro terms, but either way, I'd want him involved.

For the rest?

They've got us in this mess, and some of them I just don’t rate, some I do actually think are decent players for this level who have just massively underperformed this season. But either way; over this season; they're the ones who got us where we are in the league; and with 3 different managers; each with their own styles and ways & means; the results and performances have continued. The players need to have a good long look at themselves for that.

Simpson? Connor Brown? Wesoloski? Montano? - all can go for me.

Croft is a tough one as whilst he's been our highest assist maker; I think he's contributed along with the others to where we are now. Up until Jan; he was pretty poor all told, and his fitness has been a big debate all season.

Byrne too is tough; but being critical; he hasn't been the out & out vocal leader I expected him to be; and his age, his lack of pace and latterly his injuries mean it's a heavy-hearted release for him.

Dan Taylor hasn't kicked on, and even with the fresh outlooks of TP and LJ as managers; they too have overlooked him; just as PD did. It looks like he's not got it to kick on into professional football from youth football.

I wouldn't have actually offered Dean Furman and Matt Smith fresh deals either - but it's nailed on both are leaving anyways so that covers that.

Bouzy and Cisak? If they get offer terms and stay; so be it - but for me; we should be looking elsewhere and let them leave.

In a season where wages and playing budget are again going to be key - squad filler like Glen Belezika and Connor Hughes I think should be also got rid of; neither have kicked on; and being honest; I don’t see wither doing either - so even though they won't be on lots (comparatively); I think it'd be better spent elsewhere.

I not usually a fan of ripping up and starting again season on season. But, that's usually because there is something to look to build around, something to build upon. This lot? Nah - rip it up and start afresh with players who LJ wants, can work with and are prepared to take on his messages and actually give a :censored:e and deliver out on the pitch.

Edited by slystallone