219 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics hold a minute's silence for Maggie

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we aren't going to see eye to eye on this, not that I am in any way a doe-eyed advocate of her. It is totally wrong though to suggest that she had no support from the working classes or the North however. Granted a lot of public sector workers weren't for her, but that aside she polled pretty well.

Polled as in "actual election results"? I'm looking in to this. First we have to decide where the north is. I say M62 corridor and above, including Scotland.

Polled as in "actual election results"? I'm looking in to this. First we have to decide where the north is. I say M62 corridor and above, including Scotland.

You'd then have to decide where the M62 corridor starts. You may find it relevant to read http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_points_of_the_United_Kingdom#section_2 as the centre point of Great Britain is near Whalley a few miles north of the M62.

The results of the political compass test are interesting. It seems that regardless of differing views on how the economy should be managed, we're all in agreement about the value of our freedom (I don't think anyone's scored above 0 on the Authoritarian/Libertarian).

I find that interesting as I don't think I'd place any UK politician below that horizontal line.

The results of the political compass test are interesting. It seems that regardless of differing views on how the economy should be managed, we're all in agreement about the value of our freedom (I don't think anyone's scored above 0 on the Authoritarian/Libertarian).

I find that interesting as I don't think I'd place any UK politician below that horizontal line.

it's interesting that their 2010 manifesto placed the lib dems just below the horizontal line, although all three parties are firmly to the right of centre. labour outrageously close to the tories.

No, it starts again as soon as you get to Scotland. You can keep Wales as well.

Okay. I'll bet you any money or forfeit you like there was a collapse in the Tory vote in anything you can reasonably define as the north of England. I'll count the 1974, 1979, 1983 and 1987 general elections.

1992 would be interesting as highest turnout ever as well. You research the data, I will analyse it and decide who is right.

Is that Lands End to J-o-G or land mass?

Whalley doesn't include islands so I'd imagine it's Lands End to JOG.

If you include the islands (so Scilly to Shetland or similar), then the centre is in the Forest of Bowland.

Edited by rudemedic

1992 would be interesting as highest turnout ever as well. You research the data, I will analyse it and decide who is right.

I've done only a quick scope of some safe Labour northern seats, but you might be right about the Tory vote for Thatcher. The typical pattern I've seen is this: there's no Tory vote to speak of in 1974. The Tory vote doubles in 1979 for Thatcher and stays that way till 1997, when it goes back down to 1974 levels. One explanation is that people misguidedly saw her politics as a way out of the slums, before realising 23 years too late that she was in fact in the business of creating them. It's an incomplete picture. I'm getting a spreadsheet together. Have a look at Wigan though.

I've done only a quick scope of some safe Labour northern seats, but you might be right about the Tory vote for Thatcher. The typical pattern I've seen is this: there's no Tory vote to speak of in 1974. The Tory vote doubles in 1979 for Thatcher and stays that way till 1997, when it goes back down to 1974 levels. One explanation is that people misguidedly saw her politics as a way out of the slums, before realising 23 years too late that she was in fact in the business of creating them. It's an incomplete picture. I'm getting a spreadsheet together. Have a look at Wigan though.

Why in the world would I want to look at Wigan? It's horrible,

Thatcher appealed (and still does, according to polls today) to the skilled working class. That's why she won elections. It feeds the cloth cap and whippet stereotype to make out that nobody in the North did anything but dig coal. Rochdale would have been a Tory seat in her time if it weren't for the Liberal tradition and the personal effect of Big Cyril (whoops)