Youngest player for Oldham

According to Oldham Athletic an A-Z our youngest player was Eddie Hopkinson who was 16 years 75 days old when he made his debut v Crewe (h 1-3) on 12/1/52.

Would think that would be hard to beat as most would have to still be in school.

Scott McNiven was only 17 as I recall.

Think it was Barnsley away.

Scott McNiven was 16 when he made his debut at Barnsley in May 1995

Wolfy was 16 when he made his debut too, I think Wolfy might have shaded it - made his debut v Swindon in November 2003, i'm sure he was still at Bluecoat when he made his first appearance.

According to Oldham Athletic an A-Z our youngest player was Eddie Hopkinson who was 16 years 75 days old when he made his debut v Crewe (h 1-3) on 12/1/52.

Would think that would be hard to beat as most would have to still be in school.

Absolutely correct - I was there! School leaving age was 15 then. Only a week or two after that, he was in goal when we beat Chester 11-2.

And the oldest to make his Latics debut?

More difficult to pin down but Grobelaar was 40 years and 2 months when he first played for us. Any more bids?

David Eyres 42 according to this;

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/liverpool-football/2012/05/31/age-was-no-barrier-for-evergreen-liverpool-born-winger-david-eyres-99623-31079037/

I think David Hodkinson was only 16yo when he made his first team debut in 1961.

David Hodkinson (1961-64) Autobiography for the LSC: I am a former player with the Latics, 60-62 seasons and as such played alongside many of the names you mention on the home page (Jimmy Rollo, Ken Brannigan, John Mccue, John Bazely etc.) My two first team appearances were in the 61 season when I played against Doncaster in November as the youngest player at that time, and Tranmere. I emigrated to Canada in '69 after becoming a teacher and recently retired as a Principal in Durham region, Oshawa, Ontario. I retired from playing about ten years ago and took up reffing and am currently vice president of the Ontario Soccer Referees' Association and President of Durham Region Soccer Association. It's an informative and interesting site...good job!

Edited by BP1960