The 'goal' that should have cost Alex Ferguson his job

Yes, that was Jimmy Hill denying it was a goal and giving Jim Leighton credit for the 'save'. TBF later in the transmission they do back track and say it was clearly in.

The game was the 1990 FA SF Replay at Maine Road lost 2-1 AET but if Henry's goal had stood, then Stitch's late equaliser that sent the game in ET could have proved to have been the inner and in normal time at that.

Fergie may well have been facing the sack as despite spending millions the previous summer on Paul Ince, Neil Webb, Danny Wallace and Gary Pallister they had struggled in the league all season and at one stage looked like relegation candidates. They were beaten 5-1 by newly promoted City in the Derby at Maine Road too.

The board were getting twitchy and Martin Edwards was looking to sell at a knock down price but sadly Michael Knighton's consortium didn't have the money! It's a shame as he would have royally :censored:ed them up and there's no way they would have become the global PLC they are now.

The FA Cup was Fergie's last chance saloon after 3 trophyless years, 3 years which had seen Liverpool win 2 league Championships and an FA Cup. The majority of United fans wanted him gone….

The issue here is that, if the goal above had been given it may well have changed footballing history. Appropriate given today's announcement and i'm sure there's many people that haven't seen the incident since it happened in 1990 and some that may not have seen it at all.

Manchester United and Ferguson built a dynasty off the back of that first trophy in 1990, if Nick Henry's 'goal' had been given would he have had the time to do that? Not a chance….

Not on the same scale but to even out the karma i'll put Chesterfield's goal that wasn't given in April 2000 at BP when Gary Kelly parried into the side of the net, the ref gave nowt, nowt was given but it was clear at the time and on the video...

Wish latics fans could move on. 23 :censored:ing years ago.

It's a relevant time to remember it, I accept that it is weird to constantly be thinking about that sort of thing.

Evvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Wish latics fans could move on. 23 :censored:ing years ago.

I would normally agree but I think the lack of anything to move onto is the problem. Yes we had the premier years, which were ended with the help again of a jammy Man U and we have had little to show in the following 19 years since.

It's a relevant time to remember it, I accept that it is weird to constantly be thinking about that sort of thing.

Evvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Yep, none of this would have been on here if Fergie had not retired and the main headlines were the Queen's speech.

The only interest this really has for me after all this time is that the clamour for Ferguson to be sacked back then proves that football fans always have been :censored:ing stupid and always will be.

And football club owners, as it is they who sack the managers. Of course Edwards was the exception, or maybe not, his near deal to sell MU to Knighton was perhaps lacking in foresight.

And football club owners, as it is they who sack the managers.

That's true enough.

Of course Edwards was the exception

I don't believe he was. He wanted to sack Ferguson on a number of occasions but was persuaded not to by other board members with half a brain.

or maybe not, his near deal to sell MU to Knighton was perhaps lacking in foresight.

And that, sir, is the understatement of the century. Edwards was the thick witted son of a dodgy pie salesman who lucked into the chairman's seat and very nearly ruined United.

He should be adored on here! :laught30:

Edited by garcon