Could be sue Wigan?

I have a serious question, could Oldham Athletic sue Wigan Athletic for the usage of LATICS?

If I remember rightly, Victoria Beckham aka Posh tried to sue Peterborough. So why not try to get some money out of them or stop them from using our bloody nickname!

unbelievable! I don't have a leg to stand on now at work :cry: i'm gonna have to sit in the corner and sulk!

Also just realised I'm a utter retard for putting be instead of we, not a good day lol

Edited by OAFC_Rob

Copyright can't be exercised if there is an established longstanding usage by another person or organisation. So whilst Wigan could clamp down the use of the word latics by ,lets say, a hotel calling itself Latics Hotel, they can't do anything about a club that has had it as its commonly accepted nickname for over a hundred years.

OAFC knew this and so weren't and aren't worried.

Please stop getting your knickers in a twist

Charlton also refer to themselves as the Latics, though in recent years it's been 'Cockny-fied' the the Addicks.

Don't think that is right. It is reportedly from The Fish and Chip shop the wonder had a concession and used to wander wound with a Haddock or Sarf London 'addock. 'Addock became Addicks with that accent.

List of nicknames http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_club_nicknames_in_the_United_Kingdom

It is important to put in context though, many were at opposite ends of the country, when communication was much tricker.

Besides, just because it is the same does not make it right. At least Juve have the class to acknowledge the origins of their kit for example.