Berlin Football - SV Babelsberg 03 v FC United of Manchester

Part 1/2

I've woken up this morning with a sore throat and a bit of a head but my God it was worth it. After meeting up with a few other lads from Manchester on Wednesday, I was really up for watching FC United against Babelsberg. It's nearly been a year since I've lived in Berlin and the closest I've come to seeing a bit of "home" was a guy from Sheffield last year, so the idea of 500+ Mancs coming over was like a dream. You cannot beat a bit of northern humour after a while - life fact. Great guys anyway.

FC United are well-known for their stance against the exploitation of fans by large companies such as Sky and for their "punk football" which is proving to be a popular hit winning them friends from all over Europe - and even the world, so I learnt. Babelsberg, on the other hand,are pretty much that with an extreme angle added to it: the most left-wing, punk-styled anti-fascists I've ever seen in my life. But decent people. Fun to talk to, wanting to speak English and welcome you.

Let's get this under way!

Having met up in the centre of Berlin, the sun was somewhat shinning and the day was uncomfortably warm - humid warm. The forecast for later told us that there was rain and thunderstorms on the way but we were armed with only jackets and scarves. We went to Alexanderplatz, the large station in the centre of the city right next to the Fernsehturm (the big tower with the revolving restaurant). Beautiful views. Getting the S7 train to Potsdam, we were in a small group of 10 on a train which would take us 40 minutes away from the centre of Berlin to Babelsberg station.

When we got there, we walked to ground which was further up the road. Surprisingly we saw a large amount of FC fans in comparison to the Babelsberg home numbers meant to be turning up. Outside was a festival with about 10 stalls set out for fans. There was even a live reggae/ska band on stage to entertain the punks.

fpch1c.jpg

I had a gander round at what was on offer. Besides the amazing tasting Berliner currywurst, there were a large amount of scarf stalls set up. I got myself a 50/50 for my collection and noticed the "Babelsberg Ultra" stall. Every left-wing icon you can imagine was there. Pictures of past choreographies, stickers, badges, etc. Further down the row it got even more interesting: Partizan Minsk, a team from Belarus who share a friendship with Babelsberg, had their own stall selling scarves and memorabilia. Having a look at some, I noticed a very pleasant looking one from Polonia Warsaw which was anti-Nazi themed with a large crossed out swastika in the middle and at each end a "Good night, white pride" logo. Each to their own, I guess.

As it was pissing down, we decided to head inside out of the rain. There were flags everywhere from FC United fans. Having a look around, I took a few photos of what it was like:

6jonjs.jpg

hv2n8m.jpg

im4ilc.jpg

A pretty decent stadium for a club that's recently been relegated into Germany's 4th division. The FC United fans went in the end on the second picture whilst the rest of the ground filled with Babelsberg fans. Their ultras sat pretty much adjacent to where I'm standing taking these photos in the rain - brave souls (it was seriously pissing it down). Having said that, no fans were allocated to a section. As this was a game between 2 clubs sharing very similar ideas, we found ourselves mixed with the home fans who were a great laugh.

As the game was gonna kick-off in 20 and the FC fans were still getting used to being able to drink during matches, I decided to look at the graffiti wall at the ground. For those of you who remember, I did some for Latics' match prior to playing Everton. I'd love to do something like this for the club but I'm not sure they'd appreciate it somehow. Anyway, to the wall!

2ug32iq.jpg

zwow9.jpg

2yzee0y.jpg

I thought the badges were really well sprayed. Really interesting to see such dedication from fans in art form like that. Don't think I've come across official club graffiti before.

I'm going to cover the match now simply because, if I'm honest, I don't think a single fan watched it properly. The atmosphere was so :censored:ing good that both Babelsberg and FC United fans missed at least 1 goal.

Although FC United did out-play Babelsberg somewhat, they did want to get a victory against FC and you could see it, possibly to prove themselves better having been relegated. FC were able to keep possession more and create more chances in the midfield were the ball spent most of its time.

After a close game, it ended FC United 3-2 SV Babelsbergs 03. I think that was the score at least!

Enough of that! It's time for the fans. The atmopshere coming from the FC fans was electric: singing, jumping, flags, scarves! I dare say they were louder than the large amount of Ultra fans singing their hearts out but they were simply too loud to hear! FC fans had brought at least 500, I reckon. I never actually found out the final attendance number but there were plenty of reds around.

969855_545470125495454_648037117_n.jpg

Behind all those FC fans were a small but determined group of Babelsberg fans who were trying to outsing the wave of noise coming from the reds. They pretty much got outdone every time with "What the :censored:ing hell was that?" They were laughing their heads off though. Too the far right just off the picture was another small group of mental Babelsberg fans who were throwing umbrellas everywhere. FC fans had brought a number of large beach balls. Sadly most ended up on the fence and getting burst! Still fun as hell.

We were all expecting something though: pyro! We were wondering where the flares were with it being such a special match abroad. Fortunately we didn't have to wait too long. As the players began the match after half-time, the Babelsberg ultras got underway with putting on a show for us all!

382253_545470598828740_2138108422_n.jpg

In person it looked so much better. They got massive cheers from fans all around the ground with little interference from stewards. That huge cloud of smoke blew directly towards us too which I can only describe as putting your head on top of bonfire without the heat: it stunk! Plus we couldn't see the match either as the pitch was covered in smoke leaving the goalkeeper going mental for the referee to stop play.

It wasn't long before those Babelsberg fans next to us got together with a few FC fans and put on their own little show to 1-up the Ultras:

934073_545470645495402_556829273_n.jpg

The stewards came along eventually once it'd burnt out and kicked it away - no kicking fans out, arrests or aggro at all. The entire night was just pure fun with both fans trying to outsing one another. At one point, the FC fans chanted "Babelsberg" so the Babelsberg fans began chanting "United" back at them.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

Part 2/2

There was a great sense of friendship and community at the match. It wasn't long before we found that FC fans had mixed with the Babelsberg lot and visa versa. I even found myself waving a huge Babelsberg flag being passed around the FC stand. It was strange almost to be at a game were both the home and away side were celebrating together: what it was that they were celebrating was not an issue - it was :censored:ing excellent!

When the final whistle went, a small group of the Babelsberg fans ran up to the fence, climbed up and starting chanting with the FC fans. The FC fans did the same until more and more Babelsberg fans came calling for the gate to be open for the clubs to celebrate together. Eventually they did and both fans poured onto the pitch giving one another hand shakes and hugs, having conversations in broken English and German insisting they have to come back to England for another friendly.

575366_545471102162023_1159615226_n.jpg

295670_545471155495351_1903019593_n.jpg

984110_545471175495349_401013509_n.jpg

The night was mental. To see fans from 2 countries and 2 different worlds in arms was fantastic. As an outsider I found it amazing to watch and get involved in. I met people from Poland, Romania, Belarus, Ukraine, England and Germany of course. It was a game people from across Europe had come to watch.

I even bumped into a few people from Oldham which was a nice surprise. There were a few knobheads but there are wherever you go.

That match will definitely mark a friendship between the clubs like we hold with Frankfurt. If Babelsberg were to go to Manchester next year then I am pretty damn sure that will be an amazing party.

It goes well up there with one of the most memorable matches I've been to. The "party train" back was all that packed into a 40 minute ride back into the centre. What a night! To close this off I've said it before and I'll say it again: you cannot beat European fan culture.

33vyu0h.jpg

As for what I'll do next, I'm taking a day off from visiting TeBe today to watch the German cup final on TV between Bayern München and VfB Stuttgart as I live with Bayern fans - fan-bloody-tastic.

St. Pauli have booked a game in Berlin against Babelsberg on the 26th June which I will definitely be gong to. Celtic play in July here but I won't be here sadly as Oldham calls. Until then.

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

I've woken up this morning

Woke up this morning feeling fine, got punk football on my mind.

EDIT: glad you got along to the game Guy; from what the lads were saying yesterday it was a great day out and a superb, friendly atmosphere at the game.

FC United were formed on the basis that they were upset the club was not a plc.They're a blot on the landscape.

FC Constitution and manifesto are fairly comprehensive, and as an IPS they're hardly a 'blot on the landscape'! :lol:

Thanks for the comments. Always a pleasure bringing back a bit of the unreported for those who're interested. :OASISscarf:

A few of them mentioned to me they'd be heading to watch Tennis Borussia Berlin after their official Facebook page invited fans of FC United to come and watch. With the weather easing a little, it seems a few of them popped by and earned yet another friendship:

From the official TeBe website

P1380215_L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

a couple of mates of mine were at this one - in fact I think one of them actually arranged the game , strange that I ended up good mates with red b******s but there you go.I've got an invite to their game at Wimbledon this summer but think I might be sticking pins in my eyes that day. Looking forward to them losing in the playoffs again next year ;-)

Have I missed something? Why are we reporting on FC United games?

I've just remembered I once started a thread about a fc united game I attended. Even though I had to go because my son was in some presentation and it was free, I was never forgiven. Understandably.

good read that guy, as a matter of interest me and a few mates are planning on going Frankfurt around Christmas time on a piss up and were hoping of getting a game in, would you recommend the standing section of the ground ? (if you are connected to Frankfurt at all) help off anybody would be appreciated.

Edited by 4froale

Yes, stand up. Frankfurt was mental when I went, though it was Bayern in a night game, so the atmosphere was probably better than normal.

Don't despair if their home games don't fit in with your schedule. Just pick another team nearby and go on the train. Rail fares are free with the football ticket (Not ICE trains though, so if it is a distance it could take a bit longer) {- though I'd check this is still the case}. And there are loads of big clubs in that part of Germany.