How much do you value Jose Baxter?

And Philliskirk.

I think the best way to Value Baxter is to look at it from the eyes of another Manager at another team. What would you pay for him in view of the fact that there are plenty of players available on a free transfer? I don't think i'd pay more than £250k at the moment and I don't think we'd sell him for that.

Hopefully, we'll get to see Baxter in a better side than last season and we will see a bit more of him.

Browsing through all the rumours, Jose Baxter is being linked with every club going at the moment and all with various values. How much do you value him? I think due to age, prospects etc a £1 million value, especially with him on a 2 year deal

With my life

We always sell our players off on the cheap, Denis Irwin a prime example, so probably 1/2 million with add ons.

Irwin wasn't exactly Latics fault - he was end of contract if I recall correctly, and Utd took the piss...

What is he worth in terms of his value to the club, his attitutde towards the club, his ability and as a role model to young players and fans= Priceless.

What is he worth in terms of how much would he have to go for before I wasnt completely devastated by him leaving= £2m

What would Corney snap someones hand off for him= £250k

What word springs to mind= Undisclosed

How much would go into LJ's budget= 5% if he's lucky.

We always sell our players off on the cheap, Denis Irwin a prime example, so probably 1/2 million with add ons.

We always sell our players off on the cheap - heres an example from 20 year ago

Denis Irwin is probably the only example of us letting someone go on the cheap. But as has been pointed out, our hands were tied a bit. But I think the fact we got £1.7M for Barrett kinda balanced it out a bit.

IIRC Irwin was sold for £625k but he had played maybe 1 or 2 games for ROI, and hadnt played in the top flight. Lots of defenders with bigger pedigrees were being sold for less or only a little bit more. (eg Martin Keown went for £700k). Plus he was out of contract and wanting the move.

Barrett had a better pedigree than Irwin at the time of sale, wasn't out of contract, and wasn't actively saying he wanted to move.

I think we got market value for the pair of them. It was only 5 years later after Irwin had helped Utd dominate English football, after the market went shooting upwards that the Irwin deal was thought to be the steal it was in comparison.

Think we ve got to set a fee of 300-400k then add-ons of 100-200k after a certain number of games. But more like 20games than 30 cos we all know he's likely to be suspended for a few & a loss in form might see us not get appearance add-ons until 2014-15 season. If there are as many clubs interested as has been reported we should be able to start a bidding war. Not quite Torres money but might squeeze an extra 50k

IIRC Irwin was sold for £625k but he had played maybe 1 or 2 games for ROI, and hadnt played in the top flight. Lots of defenders with bigger pedigrees were being sold for less or only a little bit more. (eg Martin Keown went for £700k). Plus he was out of contract and wanting the move.

Barrett had a better pedigree than Irwin at the time of sale, wasn't out of contract, and wasn't actively saying he wanted to move.

I think we got market value for the pair of them. It was only 5 years later after Irwin had helped Utd dominate English football, after the market went shooting upwards that the Irwin deal was thought to be the steal it was in comparison.

The record British transfer fee at that time was £4.25 M also so £625k wasn't a bad amount.

What is he worth in terms of his value to the club, his attitutde towards the club, his ability and as a role model to young players and fans= Priceless.

What is he worth in terms of how much would he have to go for before I wasnt completely devastated by him leaving= £2m

What would Corney snap someones hand off for him= £250k

What word springs to mind= Undisclosed

How much would go into LJ's budget= 5% if he's lucky.

^All of that is absolutely bang on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be disappointed with 500k, simply because Trotman went for that fee after only playing a handful of games, JB is twice the player Trotman was and attacking flair players should attract a bigger fee than defenders, look at when the world transfer records have been broken, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and in Britain Torres, its always the attacking players. And when you consider Scott Spencer and Danny Philliskirk and also Tom Eaves went for £200k-£300k despite the first two never playing for us and Eaves only made a few appearances, then JB should be commanding a lot higher fee than those 3, seen as he's played a full season, and bagged a few goals. Also Crewe managed to get £4m for Powell when he only had one season under his belt in League 2. I'd say £1,000,000 and I think Lee Johnson can expect very little of that as Blitz will pocket the money. So because of that I hope we don't sell him.

I'd be disappointed with 500k, simply because Trotman went for that fee after only playing a handful of games, JB is twice the player Trotman was and attacking flair players should attract a bigger fee than defenders, look at when the world transfer records have been broken, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and in Britain Torres, its always the attacking players. And when you consider Scott Spencer and Danny Philliskirk and also Tom Eaves went for £200k-£300k despite the first two never playing for us and Eaves only made a few appearances, then JB should be commanding a lot higher fee than those 3, seen as he's played a full season, and bagged a few goals. Also Crewe managed to get £4m for Powell when he only had one season under his belt in League 2. I'd say £1,000,000 and I think Lee Johnson can expect very little of that as Blitz will pocket the money. So because of that I hope we don't sell him.

Quite spot on. Baxter is too good for league one and would most certainly cut it at top championship level and one day premier league level. We may have the odd debt to pay (I have no idea what is owed and where) but Corney and the board should set a price tag of between 750k and 1.5 million plus a 20-30% sell on fee and other add on for the lad. Get a bidding war going! I do not want the lad going for minimal price, 500k as reported in the daily mail. Corney, Owen, the board, slap a huge price tag on him plus add on! 750k-1.5 plus 20-30% sell on fee is what I feel Is appropriate!!

Don't think we can use Trotman as a comparison though. That's a bit like using the perennial 'well if Andy Carroll's worth £35million...'

Edited by OneSizeFitz

500k? Thanks but no thanks, the lad still has 2 years left on his contract and has shown he could easily play at championship level if not higher, anything under 750k would be an insult and I hope for once in his lifetime mr corney plays hardball and holds out for the fee we actually deserve instead of selling him for a fraction of his true value.

Whilst I think Baxter could quite easily play in the championship buyers will say he is unproven and that includes cameo appearances of 10-20mins here and there at Everton

We will say he is worth more of course but its a dangerous one as if baxter gets his head turned on a big by a championship club we run the risk of an upset player in the ranks who could throw his toys out of the pram and upset the squad (although Baxter has never showed he is this sort)

The argument that they paid x for him so he is worth x is not a true reflection and can rarely be used, you need to factor in length of contract, agents, money potentially owed player, in our case money owed to board or ex board members

Baxter ain't worth over 1million as much as I would love him to be, he has to do it again which I'm sure he would but he is better having another year playing football and being the star if nothing else better players will want to play with better players so Baxter will be the attraction at us

Don't bloody sell him build around him, we will need him again to stay up and say relegation would cost 300k (guessing) then the deal if only 500k in reality is worth only 200k... Peanuts!!!