Matt Smith

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck Matt.

I have to admit you didn't get anywhere near winning me over until the Forest match onwards.

After that I realised Dickov had been playing you wrong all the time you were here.

Another peice of :censored:ing awful business by Corney and the club because straight after the LFC match, they should have quadrupled your £400 per week salary and put a buy out clause in the contract of say £500k. We would have got it without doubt.

Can't blame the lad one bit for looking after himself financially!

I prefer to remember the three goals in a week that kept us up and his first three FA Cup goals which bagged the club over half a million quid in prize money, tv money and replay gate receipts.

Good luck to him I rated him, little ability but used correctly extremely effective -any Leeds fans have already written him off so I'll be an interested watcher of the FL show next season....

What is most frustrating is that with a full pre season of decent training and increased fitness levels with LJ many of us suspect that there was a good League 1 level player ready to be unleashed. Can't blame Smith for leaving but it is another reason to be glad PD is no longer around.

Can we get him back on loan towards the end of the season .... :)

He'll be somewhere on loan next season.

I think under TP and Lj, he was begining to develop his game. Dont forget, he is a late starter in footballing terms. If Leeds can continue his development, then they will have a good player. BUT, I think he will be a small fish in a big pond, and not get the same one on one has he was probaby getting at BP. i think another year at BP would have been a huge development for him, but I cant blame him for getting the big money now. Too soon for his overall carrer in my opinion

Who gives a :censored: where he goes. Without liverpool , everton and few goals towards end of last season he has been a disappointment . remembers his miss from 2 yards out vs Crewe I think ? He has gone Move on ...

Very unfair on the lad, that's like saying Paddy Madden has been woeful all year other than his 20 odd goals in the league.....

I think under TP and Lj, he was begining to develop his game. Dont forget, he is a late starter in footballing terms. If Leeds can continue his development, then they will have a good player. BUT, I think he will be a small fish in a big pond, and not get the same one on one has he was probaby getting at BP. i think another year at BP would have been a huge development for him, but I cant blame him for getting the big money now. Too soon for his overall carrer in my opinion

Like many others have said, he could of had a bad season and would have removed himself from the shop window.

I prefer to remember the three goals in a week that kept us up and his first three FA Cup goals which bagged the club over half a million quid in prize money, tv money and replay gate receipts.

Good luck to him I rated him, little ability but used correctly extremely effective -any Leeds fans have already written him off so I'll be an interested watcher of the FL show next season....

do they feature bench warmers of Leeds Ressies? :wink:

Good luck Matt.

I have to admit you didn't get anywhere near winning me over until the Forest match onwards.

After that I realised Dickov had been playing you wrong all the time you were here.

Another peice of :censored:ing awful business by Corney and the club because straight after the LFC match, they should have quadrupled your £400 per week salary and put a buy out clause in the contract of say £500k. We would have got it without doubt.

Can't blame the lad one bit for looking after himself financially!

So the club should have quadrupled his wages after just them two goals, and completely ignore the fact that he was pretty much anonymous for the previous 18 months?

Whilst I am as critical of the club as many as alot of people on here at times, there wasn't much more they could do here. They offered him a deal that was well in excess of his current salary, he informed the club fairly quickly that he wasn't accepting the deal as he had options in the championship, both parties move on.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Yep; As has been said, the club were actually considering paying up the rest of his contract prior to Notts Forest game.

In no way should we as a club have made the huge gamble of offering 2/3/4 times his wage after one decent performance.

Look, he had a big hand in the Notts Forest & Liverpool wins; and in the Everton draw. His 3 goals at the end the season were crucial in us staying up. For that, I think most fans are truly grateful.

But, over the course of his 2 seasons here; taken as the whole package; he hardly ripped up trees did he?

He's gone to the Championship; and all power to him for that. He's used the ITV shop window to his advantage and fair play to him for that. But i really don't think the club, SC and LJ should be being hounded out on this at all. I think they were sensible at all stages.

Anyhow, Johnson Clark-Harris is going to be our new rough diamond striker so it'll be all fine!