Matt Smith

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally couldn't give a toss who he signs for, we more than had our money's worth out of him and the lad has now got an opportunity to go and better himself in the league above. Considering only two years ago he was playing non league, its an achievement. And whilst I suspect he won't make it in the championship, I hope I am wrong and wish him all the best.

Let not forget Corney told fans he was ready to Pay Smith contract up. I am sad to see him go but not gutted, his end of season performances and goals helped kept us up. But if he did sign a new deal and the goals dried up? suppose at Leeds if it goes bad there will always be a team in League 1 or 2 who will take a gamble on him.

Let not forget Corney told fans he was ready to Pay Smith contract up. I am sad to see him go but not gutted, his end of season performances and goals helped kept us up. But if he did sign a new deal and the goals dried up? suppose at Leeds if it goes bad there will always be a team in League 1 or 2 who will take a gamble on him.

I would have him back! The second half of the season he was star man up front... had we signed him up on a 2 year deal, gave him a full season to prove himself, I reckon we could have got a fee of some 'nominal' sort :shakeit::laught30:

Edited by ZiggaZaggaAthletic

The old days involved a right to a fee for an out of contract player. That was outrageous to be honest

Indeed. Can't understand people thinking we should be entitled to a fee. We gave him a contract, which he honoured, and now he's moved on. End of. We should've given him a longer one in hindsight.

All the best for the future Matt. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by Break The Silence

These days, I only dislike teams where I personally know a supporter who's a :censored:. I only know one Leeds fan and he's a lovely bloke.

Each to their own and that, I prefer to generalise and throw them all in the bucket marked 'Dirty Leeds Scum'

Kids I work with have been asking me a lot about him.

Sent them off very worried about the style of football they are going to play next season.

Fast flowing football down the wings, fantastic delivery and an Smith to nod in for an end product? Surely thats the way a decent team would play Matt Smith

Fast flowing football down the wings, fantastic delivery and an Smith to nod in for an end product? Surely thats the way a decent team would play Matt Smith

That's the way a decent team would play Matt Smith.

Other teams might lump it from defence to see if he would head it.

This.

He hit a bit of a purple patch for us on ITV and in the league towards the back end of the season, but was far to prone to missing the odd sitter - Crewe at home over Christmas was the worst miss I've ever seen.

It's the best case scenario all round - we're fairly ambivalent about him so not that bothered he's gone and Smith has made the most of his time in the limelight by getting a bigger contract at a higher level. If it doesn't work, no doubt someone in League One at least will be willing to give him a go next time around, so he's done what's necessary to prolong his career at this stage. Had he signed a new contract with Latics and had a bad season, he could have been heading for the football scrapheap.

I wish him the best of luck. The fact that it's Leeds....meh.

Thanks for the memories.

He had a hand in everything that was good about last season. Liverpool, Everton, Bury, to name but a few. I have to admit, I thought he was a cart horse at the start of the season, some say he still is - thankfully, he came good at important times.

Good luck - he's living the dream.

Thanks for the memories.

He had a hand in everything that was good about last season.

And a lot of the bad.

The improvement under Philliskirk and then Johnson was massive.

Assuming he gets even better coaching at Leeds he could become a very good player. I'd put money on the opposite though.

Good luck to him.

Glass is empty , never mind 'half'

Get real. He was crap. Fact. That's why we were ready to dump him and that's why he wasn't offered a contract at Christmas.

Live in cuckoo land if you want, but six good games in the last six months is not 'glass empty.'

Take off your rosey tinted specs. His total lack of pace (makes Ron Futcher look like Linford Christie) and poor first touch have not changed. His ability to use his height to add an awkward factor has worked, for now.

As for 'glass is empty' - it certainly is because you've drank the contents.

Fair play to the lad. He used the ITV games as his shop window; and his boot deal and now Leeds deal are a direct result of those games.

I thought he was a very limited player; he inproved so credit where it's due, but IMO he's still a very limited player. Who know's, he may continue to make inprovements and develop; but the reality for him is he needs to do lots of it; and fast, to stand any chance in the Championship.

Fair play to him, and good luck to him mind