Team as it stands

We may not bring both a RB and a CB in before the 3rd, but we may bring both in before 30th September. After the bigger clubs sort out their squads and make some more of their youngsters available for loan.

Personally, going off last season, I'd play Cliff in front of Tarky, but we still need a CB for me, one with at least some pace.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care how Baxter plays in friendlies as long as he produces the goods in the league and cups this coming season.

How can anyone suggest dropping him? He may look a little disinterested at times in matches but then he shows his brilliance; taking on the defence, linking up the team and bagging us goals.

He's in the same mould as the likes of Gazza, Waddle, Le Tissier, Joe Cole, Lee Trundle. You scratch your head as to why he's picked and then 60 minutes later he's picking up the MOTM award.

LJ already said he's building a team around him, which is what's happening. Two behind to mop up and break the counter-attack allowing Jose the free role and supplying for our front three to bomb forward. Exciting times ahead. Secure a CB or two to save our hearts and fingernails or back to the Big Joe days of you score 3 but we'll score 4!

Agree - JB has time to build towards the first game - and he is a class act.

As for the big Joe days - seem to recall we had defenders of the calibre of Jobson, Barrett, Irwin, Marshall, Warhurst, Barlow - none of them too shabby...

Cisak

Byrne

Grounds

Tarkowski

M'Voto

M'Changama

Wesolowski

Furman

Croft

Simpson

Slew

was the starting line up against Wednesday last season.

Montano came in for Wesolowski against MK Dons - we didn't even have another central midfielder to replace him.

Midfield and Attack look massively stronger and the defence is only one decent CB away from being as strong, (if you rate Brown, which I do).

Cisak

Byrne

Grounds

Tarkowski

M'Voto

M'Changama

Wesolowski

Furman

Croft

Simpson

Slew

was the starting line up against Wednesday last season.

Montano came in for Wesolowski against MK Dons - we didn't even have another central midfielder to replace him.

Midfield and Attack look massively stronger and the defence is only one decent CB away from being as strong, (if you rate Brown, which I do).

Oh no Harry, oh no.

Is this the 'ideal' team? Cos Dayton is unlikely to play on Saturday through injury, Winchester is out for a few weeks(?) and Mellor looks likely to play in place of Byrne.

Ideal I suppose. i'm just going off form and personal opinion. I'm ignoring injuries. I'll do a new one on Saturday based on the team selection. Hopefully I'll get to do another one sooner if we can get that centre back.

Ideal I suppose. i'm just going off form and personal opinion. I'm ignoring injuries. I'll do a new one on Saturday based on the team selection. Hopefully I'll get to do another one sooner if we can get that centre back.

I suspected Dayton was not right from his recent performances, I have every faith though he bounce back like Montano once he's 100%

Edited by BP1960

I remember LJ saying (when the season had finished) that he wanted us to be adaptable and have players who can play in a number of positions ensuring we have cover everywhere. I don't mind saying now that I thought that would be extremely hard to do with out budget and considering some of the deadwood we had.

Looking at the squad now, defence aside (which I hope can be rectified before the week is out going off rumours), there's so much scope for changes in system, personnel, etc it's midblowing in comparison to recent years.

RB: Brown, Smith, Byrne

CB: Tarkowski, Byrne, Mellor, Joksts

LB: Grounds

CM: Wesolowski, Smith, Mellor, Baxter, Rodgers

WINGS: Montano, Schmeltz, Dayton, Millar, JCH

CF: Baxter, Rooney, JCH, MacDonald, Millar

Byrne can play right back or centre back, ignoring his lack of pace! Korey Smith can play midfield and also cover at full back.

I'd say the wingers can potentially play on both sides. Baxter can play up top or in midfield. JCH could play up top or wide, as could Montano and Millar.

I haven't even included the likes of Winchester, Belezika, Cooper & Gossett in the above list either.

I feel we are a decent centre back and possibly better left back cover away from a excellent squad here and one which certainly has the potential for promotion. It's down to LJ and the players now to maximise that potential, I guess.

He also listed a multitude of attacking options, far too many to scout against

Just want to pick this point out. I think this is key if it is indeed acted on by LJ, Muzza and the team.

We have a multitude of options going forward - 5 striker options, 4 winger options etc.

If - if - LJ is true to his word and makes changes depending upon opposition, weather conditions and the like, we'll be a nightmare for our opposition to scout and the make game-plans for.

Imagine an opposition scout visiting BP and drawing up notes for how Rooney and Baxter linked up, how Dayton cut's in and how Montano and Wes link. This is fed back and the manager works up his plans.

Come match day, its MacDonald and J CH, Sid and Millar and Rodger playing instead. All offering different threats to those they've replaced....!

I doubt it will be quite as wholsesale the changes that LJ makes, but i think the point stands. To try and second guess us in terms of starting line-up is going to hard this season, with the options going forward we have this year.

Just want to pick this point out. I think this is key if it is indeed acted on by LJ, Muzza and the team.

We have a multitude of options going forward - 5 striker options, 4 winger options etc.

If - if - LJ is true to his word and makes changes depending upon opposition, weather conditions and the like, we'll be a nightmare for our opposition to scout and the make game-plans for.

Imagine an opposition scout visiting BP and drawing up notes for how Rooney and Baxter linked up, how Dayton cut's in and how Montano and Wes link. This is fed back and the manager works up his plans.

Come match day, its MacDonald and J CH, Sid and Millar and Rodger playing instead. All offering different threats to those they've replaced....!

I doubt it will be quite as wholsesale the changes that LJ makes, but i think the point stands. To try and second guess us in terms of starting line-up is going to hard this season, with the options going forward we have this year.

And what a change from the last few seasons when we had two options.Try and play on the deck and give it away, or hoof