Tarky signs new contract

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd plan to start him next year. Really positive signing. As much I'd love JYM to stay, I think Tarky would be better alongside someone who can guide him through games like Byrne did at times. It can't be Byrne too often though as there's no pace between them. LJ wants a pressing game so a ball over the top of 2 slow CBs would destroy us.

Also really hope Tarky gets a good pre-season behind him. He's had bad luck with injuries but I really like him.

I'd plan to start him next year. Really positive signing. As much I'd love JYM to stay, I think Tarky would be better alongside someone who can guide him through games like Byrne did at times. It can't be Byrne too often though as there's no pace between them. LJ wants a pressing game so a ball over the top of 2 slow CBs would destroy us.

Also really hope Tarky gets a good pre-season behind him. He's had bad luck with injuries but I really like him.

Tarky had a very good pre season last year and impressed the coaching staff a lot. There were calls to drop him by 5 games on here. He lasted 6 IIRC.

There is a CB in there somewhere (a DM too I reckon but that's a whole different debate and will be square pegs in round holes for a period). It's up to LDJ, PM, TP and also CB to get it out. I wouldn't play him with CB in the league but I'd play them together pre season as CB can teach him something in a game too.

Tarky had a very good pre season last year and impressed the coaching staff a lot. There were calls to drop him by 5 games on here. He lasted 6 IIRC.

There is a CB in there somewhere (a DM too I reckon but that's a whole different debate and will be square pegs in round holes for a period). It's up to LDJ, PM, TP and also CB to get it out. I wouldn't play him with CB in the league but I'd play them together pre season as CB can teach him something in a game too.

That's a lot of initials RM :wink:

I think Tarky will be a great assest to the squad he has superb vision and his long passing excellent. He needs to bed in with a decent centre half, get the silly mistakes out of his game and learn his craft as a defender. Quite pleased by the signing. He has potential and would of been a loss if we let him go. Will be interesting to see a new keeper next season the amount of times last season there was little or no communication between defence and keeper was shocking. I always thought Bouzy should of been more commanding in the box so will be interesting to see .....

Edited by ShakerT

Glad he's signed but time to step up for me. Too many times last season he would try the Gerrard 40 yard switch ball which would work 3/10 times or so.

I think he's okay but gets a bit too big for his boots and NEEDS to try and gain some more pace if possible he turns like a bus

Glad he's signed but time to step up for me. Too many times last season he would try the Gerrard 40 yard switch ball which would work 3/10 times or so.

I think he's okay but gets a bit too big for his boots and NEEDS to try and gain some more pace if possible he turns like a bus

Pace, do they sell that anywhere in the Spindles?

He's a donkey. He's slow as piss, and can't defend for toffee. I'd hope that he's not playing regularly next season...

Hmmm. To say I disagree really doesn't do enough justice to the word disagree.

Discounting all the very solid games in League One and putting them aside, handling Premiership strikers with such applomb in the Cup games shows me that, in fact, he can defend - certainly against Toffees.

Hmmm. To say I disagree really doesn't do enough justice to the word disagree.

Discounting all the very solid games in League One and putting them aside, handling Premiership strikers with such applomb in the Cup games shows me that, in fact, he can defend - certainly against Toffees.

Cup games mean nowt IMO, anyone can raise their game for a one off.

And we did concede 7 goals over the 3 ties.

Not convinced by your pace argument either, you might be able to improve agility but pace, you either got it or you haven't.

Pace can infact actually be worked on and improved with correct training methods.

Dont always need pace but it helps. Look at Greegs, as long as you can learn to read the game and anticipate then thats a start. Also recovery is important, on the rare time Greegs did get beaten he 9 times out of 10 recovered.

He's a donkey. He's slow as piss, and can't defend for toffee. I'd hope that he's not playing regularly next season...

Matt Chambers posted yesterday that, last season, we won 38% of games with Tarky in the side, and only 24% without him.

But no, you're right, obviously...

Not convinced by your pace argument either, you might be able to improve agility but pace, you either got it or you haven't.

Booby Moore didn't do bad despite a lack of pace.

Sorry, but that's simply not true. It maybe 14 years ago, but my dissertation centred on improving pace (& agility granted) performance in a field sport (Hockey) - that has massive cross-over into the world of football.

Adding to an already professional athletes training regime, centering on extra Plyometics work can and does show distinct benifits in increased pace off the mark, and also on sustained running.

Without going into too much detail (and tripping myself up, as it's been 14 years and I don't now work in the field) - it all hinges on basically re-training the fast-twitch muscle fibers in key areas through lots of bursts of extension and contractions. It results in a re-programming if you will of the muscle groups, and massively improves the ability for expolsive power releases.

Adding into that, the likes of Interval training, and my old favourite; Fartek runs, you can get benifits not only in acceleration off the mark; but also in more sustained, longer runs.

This obviously links directly into Football, with the quick off the mark turns, short spirits and explosive movements, and then also in the longer chasing back / longer pressing movements.

As an added benifit, with Plyometrics centred on improving pace - you'd also get noticable improvements in jumping ability too; with a greater centred explosive push-off force being able to be produced, meaning you'd be able to jump higher and with more force.

The body's a machine, and treated like that with specific training to key muscle group areas, you can get pronounced improvements. It's a myth that 'you either have it or you don't'. It can be improved.

Wordy and long I know- but basically, whilst Tarky won't be able to be turned into an athlete who could beat Bolt at the 100m's - he can be worked on to imrpove what is already there. So, yeah - it can actually. Sorry.

Sorry, but that's simply not true. It maybe 14 years ago, but my dissertation centred on improving pace (& agility granted) performance in a field sport (Hockey) - that has massive cross-over into the world of football.

Adding to an already professional athletes training regime, centering on extra Plyometics work can and does show distinct benifits in increased pace off the mark, and also on sustained running.

Without going into too much detail (and tripping myself up, as it's been 14 years and I don't now work in the field) - it all hinges on basically re-training the fast-twitch muscle fibers in key areas through lots of bursts of extension and contractions. It results in a re-programming if you will of the muscle groups, and massively improves the ability for expolsive power releases.

Adding into that, the likes of Interval training, and my old favourite; Fartek runs, you can get benifits not only in acceleration off the mark; but also in more sustained, longer runs.

This obviously links directly into Football, with the quick off the mark turns, short spirits and explosive movements, and then also in the longer chasing back / longer pressing movements.

As an added benifit, with Plyometrics centred on improving pace - you'd also get noticable improvements in jumping ability too; with a greater centred explosive push-off force being able to be produced, meaning you'd be able to jump higher and with more force.

The body's a machine, and treated like that with specific training to key muscle group areas, you can get pronounced improvements. It's a myth that 'you either have it or you don't'. It can be improved.

Wordy and long I know- but basically, whilst Tarky won't be able to be turned into an athlete who could beat Bolt at the 100m's - he can be worked on to imrpove what is already there. So, yeah - it can actually. Sorry.

Knew that you would come back and blind me with science ha!

Was only generalising with my point really, in that you're not going to turn a carthouse into a speedster, well not without the intensive training that you outline in your post anyway!

Ha! Sorry!

You won't turn a carthouse into Usain Bolt no; you're right. But; the accusation that Tarky is slow / lacks pace (i actually dont think he is 'that' slow personally) end of and thats it; he just is - isnt quite right. If LJ see's it as an issue; as I say above, there's plenty of options to make improvements in that area. Most could be easily slipped into a pre-existing training schedule; or rolled out to the whole squad.

I might give LJ a call....

Feck, Bulter had a job for over 2 years doing, well; don't get me started!!!!

Apart from any deficiencies he has the heart of a lion and has played on through the pain barrier many times, IMO he will eventually be team captain and the first name on the team sheet