Oxley deal hits a snag

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Long play against Exeter at Bramhall Lane in 2011, if that's what we an expect from a very young 'keeper like Simpson then we should use him sparingly. It was one of the worst goalkeeping performances that I've seen in years, responsible for 3 of the 4 goals conceded and looked complacent rather than nervous. Obviously he's improved since but I wouldn't feel confident if we were backing up a 22 year old keeper with an 18 year old.

FL League One team of the year, United young player of the year and call up to represent England; not a bad crib sheet for last season for a young keeper?

(Just used him as an example, i'm not raving about him especially, I could have picked others...)

FL League One team of the year, United young player of the year and call up to represent England; not a bad crib sheet for last season for a young keeper?

(Just used him as an example, i'm not raving about him especially, I could have picked others...)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was an example of teething problems that most young players have, it's just interesting to see a player who looked so poor in one match go on to do so well for a year afterwards!

I do see your point though, I saw Butland play when he was on loan at Cheltenham. He showed that young keepers can possess the ability to marshall a defence and be composed for 90 minutes.

I see the moaners are out again.

We've scratched two goalies of the wage bill and brought in a highly rated premiership youngster, who's already earned some valuable lower league experience by spending a full season with a L2 play off finalist, for probably zero wages (as I would guess that Hull will still be paying 100% of his relative low wages as it benefits them more than us). Those wage savings can be used to fill other pressing positions like CB and CF.

Yes, in an ideal world, a full season loan would have been ideal but it doesn't mean we can't extend it should he perform well and Hull aren't scraping the barrel for goalies themselves. Lets face it - do people really think Hull will recall him in the event of a gk crisis? No, they'll probably opt for a more experienced emergency loan. They'll just be being safe in the chance that option is unavailable.

On the flipside, should he be :censored:, you'd have the Corney haters on here slagging him for giving him such a lengthy deal meaning we couldn't send him back.

I'm sure some people just like to moan for the sake of it.

As for Simpson, I trust LJ enough to be of the opinion that he's not quite ready to be our #1 just yet.

I see the moaners are out again.

We've scratched two goalies of the wage bill and brought in a highly rated premiership youngster, who's already earned some valuable lower league experience by spending a full season with a L2 play off finalist, for probably zero wages (as I would guess that Hull will still be paying 100% of his relative low wages as it benefits them more than us). Those wage savings can be used to fill other pressing positions like CB and CF.

Yes, in an ideal world, a full season loan would have been ideal but it doesn't mean we can't extend it should he perform well and Hull aren't scraping the barrel for goalies themselves. Lets face it - do people really think Hull will recall him in the event of a gk crisis? No, they'll probably opt for a more experienced emergency loan. They'll just be being safe in the chance that option is unavailable.

On the flipside, should he be :censored:, you'd have the Corney haters on here slagging him for giving him such a lengthy deal meaning we couldn't send him back.

I'm sure some people just like to moan for the sake of it.

As for Simpson, I trust LJ enough to be of the opinion that he's not quite ready to be our #1 just yet.

I think regardless of Oxley's ability (he could be great) there are some justifiable concerns and expectations over who this season's keeper is. With outfield players it's difficult to judge the players like for like compared to last season if we play a different system but LJ/the club decide to let 2 acceptable keepers go and replace them with what turns out to be a weaker keeper then fans will be understandably unhappy.

For the record I reckon Oxley will probably do fairly well but if he doesn't then it can't be seen as a smart move by the club.

How can an on-loan third choice keeper at a premier league relegation certainty be better than Bouzanis or Cisek.... all smacks of penny pinching to me.

It all smacks of Dickov having had players on more money than they were worth - those two, Simpson, Furman, Croft....

M'Voto is the only player I'd push the boat out for & it appears LJ is of the same opinion, albeit he can't push it out far enough.

Byrne & Wesolowski leaving wouldn't surprise me either. Good players but in all likelihood not as good as their wage suggests they should be.

If he gets 10 in for the price of 6 that leave could they really do any worse?

Maybe Oxley is only in as back up to Simpson or a new No. 1?

He didn't start many when n loan previously

Well that shot me down!

Why did I think he played for Northampton last season?

Am I thinking of a different goalie here?

Oxley is 23, will have played plenty of games by now, albeit at a relatively low level, sounds very promising, he'll be desperate to do well with us otherwise at that age he's in danger of slipping out of the game.

But wouldn't that have been a loan similar to the Oxley deal...

Just about to ask that myself!

Surely if, if we'd have been in for him, that too would have been a loan deal with recall - possibly a 6 month one just like this one??

What's the difference?

Yet he signs another deal with Hull and has fallen further down the pecking order....

He was 3rd choice a fair bit at Hull last season when they had Stockdale on loan (who Steve Bruce wanted permanently) and their own keeper, Jakupovic.

Nothing. Nicholls is just far more proven!

One season in League 2 (a cracking one, I'll grant you) after loans at four other clubs where he didn't play a game for three of them and just 9 for another. He's 3 years younger than Oxley as well.

23 years old and hardly played a game, another symptom of the modern game.

Wonder how many games Goram, Gerrard, Fleming even Miskelly had played at 23?

Is this another effect of constantly playing other teams' kids at the expense of your own? I'd rather throw Simpson in at the deep end than chance someone else's unproven kid. Might has well let our own lad try and prove himself and sign a keeper if he's not up to it?

Edited by oafcprozac