ANOTHER PUSH FOR THE "DO"

Another one for Corney to file in his supporter apathy folder.

He might do that.

However, if he does have such a folder, I bet he has a million other things in there too, and it's bursting at the seams. Maybe he needs to think of some subfolders. He could call them.... People who work; people who don't budget for things like this outside of the football season when they've shelled out hundreds of pounds on season tickets; people who like to have a drink when it comes to Latics, but can't on a week night; people who don't live in Ashton and can't feasibly get there and home again without shelling out on taxis.

I'm sure there are other titles if the folders are still too full.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to go despite my protestations about the venue.

Hopefully something more local can be arranged if this goes ahead in the future.

The 'JOE ROYLE SUITE' Boundary Park. Meet the manager and players event. Tickets sold out in three days?

Just to clear a few things up,

The sponsor lounge on the dates the manager was free was already booked.

The venue in lees, Royton and Shaw had already been used and a personal focus of mine when organising events such as thia is to hold them around the borough so fans everywhere has a chance to attend in there own back yard.

The Village Ashton was used for the reasons mentioned before

The event next Wednesday was priced at the advertised rate to allow the event to break even. The music on offer, catering, venue and allowence within the cost to allow for a concession meant we had to do at £15 (the event would have been similar to a sportmans dinner with entertainment) therefore I feel £15 was a good value.

We had to make a decision about the event today to allow the staff who was to attend to have the possibility to do other things, this along with a few other things including ticket sales meant we had to postpone the event

With the comments made on here, facebook and twitter can I suggest the following.

Any fans wanting to organise an 'event' get some ideas together and form a committee and the Trust will support any ideas that are practical and help facilitate any players or staff needed for the event.

Just to clear a few things up,

The sponsor lounge on the dates the manager was free was already booked.

The venue in lees, Royton and Shaw had already been used and a personal focus of mine when organising events such as thia is to hold them around the borough so fans everywhere has a chance to attend in there own back yard.

The Village Ashton was used for the reasons mentioned before

The event next Wednesday was priced at the advertised rate to allow the event to break even. The music on offer, catering, venue and allowence within the cost to allow for a concession meant we had to do at £15 (the event would have been similar to a sportmans dinner with entertainment) therefore I feel £15 was a good value.

We had to make a decision about the event today to allow the staff who was to attend to have the possibility to do other things, this along with a few other things including ticket sales meant we had to postpone the event

With the comments made on here, facebook and twitter can I suggest the following.

Any fans wanting to organise an 'event' get some ideas together and form a committee and the Trust will support any ideas that are practical and help facilitate any players or staff needed for the event.

Gutsy post Wardle, your last sentence should have been put to the fans a couple of months back...

The offer is an open offer - a group of 6 fans working together to put on an event ....

Maybe, just maybe, the trust should speak to the fans or at least OWTB before they arrange a hoo haa... It looks bad when events get cannned. im probably pissed off that I wasn't given the chance to vote on a venue, but all this group partners is really not relevant the average fan.

Maybe, just maybe, the trust should speak to the fans or at least OWTB before they arrange a hoo haa... It looks bad when events get cannned. im probably pissed off that I wasn't given the chance to vote on a venue, but all this group partners is really not relevant the average fan.

You see that is a problem you dont think about ! The trust always thinks to use club partner when holding events, buying equipment for the club or even minibuses! If we use club partners they give the club more support or money therefore the Trust helps the club generate revenue or commercial support !

Thats is why club partners are always considered. We have now ran over 4 local events and this time we hoped to support the club by using one of its partners

The offer is an open offer - a group of 6 fans working together to put on an event ....

Thought the concept and pricing was ok, timing was questionable, no real opinion regarding venue, can see the problem people had with having an Oldham event not held in Oldham though.

Think if you pitched the idea now for a December do the takeup would be better, Christmas dinner etc, plenty of notice, people in mood for a good time at that time of year, Thursday night so it's not clashing with any footy on the telly.

I was completely unaware the Village in Ashton had any link with the club until this thread

And am still unclear what the link is - do they advertise with us?

I was completely unaware the Village in Ashton had any link with the club until this thread

And am still unclear what the link is - do they advertise with us?

the club / players use the facilities at the Village.

The timing was just an opportunity for fans to meet the manager and the new players before the season started for a change.

The trust would like to do a Christmas dinner this year, any fan wanting to help organise it is more than welcome

I run quiz and race nights for our local community, race nights in particular are money spinners, I have yet to see Trust organise one though.

Invite the Latics management, staff and players to a race night and it will rake in at a rough estimate over £1,000, probably a lot more.

Edited by BP1960

Rick we play Huddersfield next Sat what about Lee Johnson and the players staying around in the RRE after after the game or Royle Bar or a pub in Royton such as the Greyhound sure something could be done.

To me this was a good event a great way for the players and fans to chat only reason I could not attend Was due to me working.

To be fair I felt the village was a good venue for the awards night. I just felt trying to make 'a meet the manager' event up market was a mistake. The other meet the manager events at various locations have all been well attended at £7.50 or so a pop. Likewise so would have been the village.

Rick completely respect how hard you work for Latics and knowing company you work for must have been a very tough time recently so no disrespect in any way.

However like Harry not a flipping clue before this that the Village had any link whatsover with Latics and tend to read most stuff latics related. It looks very odd that the players appear to use the DW facilities close to ground (well known) but we have this link and appears very few even aware of it. (Does anyone know)

Begs the question is it a privilage extended to directors / employees & families or just the players...... (Dont expect an answer) just one of those thought provoking questions "Who" benefits from the link. Even the twitterats never mentioned popping to the Village. Someone likely to say nothing to do with the fans but if the venue being considered for fan events think its relevant.

Being honest as my son working that evening never going but totally agree with the sentiment it should be events in Oldham (even if Tameside has plenty of Latics fans)

Ticket sales cant have been high and that says it was a poor choice in itself re venue.

The concept of partners usually means some mutual benefit commercially by that relationship and I would be tempted to use / consider a company that is a partner if it was clear what they did for club. Perhaps if the website was any good it might have links to "Latics Partners"

Hopefully once the stand is built these sorts of issues evaporate as can entertain at home. Because people have voiced concerns isnt a criticism of people giving time freely, it is simply they are thinking its unlikely to be a runner for the reasons stated. Personally I think its unfair you and Barry appear to always be the ones in the firing line. As frankly the other trust members are invisible to anyone outside the loop - If someone is the event coordinator shouldnt it be them pushing it on here not Barry or yourself. Sadly ....it looks like a very insular committee even if it isnt for someone like myself whose contact is via OWTB and put off paying in as dont really know what happens to the money raised in the end. I have neither the time (as a carer and as you aware been ill myself) to find out more but aware others have felt excluded (their words not mine) when attending meetings. Perhaps a meeting of "Meet the Trust and get involved" might be worth considering. No bloody Motown just a friendly chat and info with the manager and a few players. Even with a big tent at Chapel Road would have drawn in more. Best wishes as ever.

I thought "partner" was just modern day management speak for sponsor or advertiser.

I do try and use firms that advertise with/sponsor Latics but had no idea about The Village.

Edited by HarryBosch

I don't think about problems?, I knew holding this event at the Villiage was doomed from day one....

You see that is a problem you dont think about ! The trust always thinks to use club partner when holding events, buying equipment for the club or even minibuses! If we use club partners they give the club more support or money therefore the Trust helps the club generate revenue or commercial support !

Thats is why club partners are always considered. We have now ran over 4 local events and this time we hoped to support the club by using one of its partners