Big Jean poll

Could someone kindly put one together (I have IT issues)? Question is, what were your feelings towards JYM last season? Feel free to add answers, but for starters - an unbreakable rock in defence, and carried the ball out like Sammer in his pomp - wins his headers but dubious in posession - solid usually but switches off and gives a goal away most games - rubbish

Won every header, donkey on the deck, will get found out in the Championship, will be back in L1 with Barnsley next year.

Can I pin this so it's easier to find when i'm proved correct in May...

This is my," In your face!" banker for when Mellor is captain and CB at PSG and JYM is at Bury

Great servant, could have easily gone on to better things after his loan spell but he stayed loyal, I wish him the best of luck. However he was prone to mistakes and he is by no means irreplaceable.

As the days pass its becoming more apparent that he is. Especially when Mr Johnson appears to have spent the budget elsewhere.

Edited by welshgaz

Very, very decent League One CB. And, he really started to step up his game in terms of leadership to during TP and then LJ'd management.

Slow starter to the season, in every one of his season's with us. Got better as it went one.

He was / is someone who is the type to give you a soft chance; ususlly with a lack of concentration, in & around a solid game otherwise. (Tarky gets villified for the same thing, JYM seemed to be forgiven instantly?)

I think playing in a higher league will push him. He'll have to work on his brain fart moments, but if he does; i think he'll be more than fine.

He havent replaced him. Not yet. And, from the Chron story, we might not be doing. Huge risk from LJ if he's going into the season with a CM playing emergency CB for us. But, Mellors are good player and it could be worse, we could have <insert :censored:e ex CB in here> still playing for us.

No world beater but a Decent League One defender.

Our defensive record wasn't bad last season and he was integral to that.

Of the players that have left he was the most consistent and, in my opinion, is the biggest loss.

He'll need to improve to make it in the Championship but he has the physical attributes and with the right (or some) coaching, why not?

He would have improved even more this season - like all the players under the previous manager, they either stagnated, regressed or encouraged Glad he is with Barnsley; I think he went there not for mercenary reasons, but to avoid more hassle and neglect at Doncaster and hoped for another club to bid for him. It's so annoying that so many good players' contracts aren't rolled-on so that we get a fee. Gross incompetence - if they aren't delivering then we don't take up the final year option, but players such as Taylor, Smith and JYM should have been respected and coached better, and on leaving we would have had very handsome returns. But LJ will ensure that this situation is less likely to continue, respecting and bringing all players on, and using his intelligence and professionalism to debate matters with Corney and srengthen the club's future.

My favourite player from recent seasons. Big, strong, committed. There were about 5 headers last season that hedidn't win, 3 of those he was awarded a freekick for as he was being fouled. Despite having two sitting midfielders in front of him he received little cover, we played a high line and our full backs were given licence to push on so we were always going to be susceptible to a ball over the top and he nullified this threat for large parts of the season.

He also had several partners at CB, 3 of which were inexperienced (Wabara, Tarky & Killer) and despite his own youth he was able to guide them through games. He will be missed as he was developing into a real CB.

I wish him luck at Barnsley and I hope he does well, apart from when we play them.

Hasnt got the quality for Championship in terms of pace or first touch. Great in the air and should be. Clumsy at times and strong at Div1. Should be interesting.

I thought he was quick. His pace often got us out of jail last year after his/another's clanger. Definitely clumsy, though that got less common towards the back end of last season.

We're much weaker for not having him in my opinion, and I'd look at our back line now as manager of any other team in the division and think we're a very soft touch. The opposition will tower above us in the tunnel and that's an advantage that we've gifted to opponents a lot in the last 20 years. M'Voto was one of the few whose sheer physicality was intimidating. We've not replaced that and I think it counts for a lot when our skill levels will be much the same as any other side.