Latics 3-2 Huddersfield: Post match reaction

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is a complete mystery how we have got to within a week of the season without a new centre back.
Even if we sign someone now it should have been a priority, this lack of a signings the only question mark I have with Robins.
Absolutely incredible."

From the Huddersfield board... hmmm!

Keeper did okay, a couple of sharp saves and not at fault for the goals.

Brown tried one ridiculous challenge that would have been a red in a proper game. I thought we looked suspect down his side first half and don't think he gave much going forwards.

I thought Grounds looked a bit one paced and their number seven exploited us down the left second half.

Mellor looked at fault for their first and his back pass early on was a shocker. We need an alternative at centre back.

Tarky read the game well and was very vocal. Got on the end of a couple of set piece headers where he'd have been better heading back across goal than trying to score, but he was a threat.

Baxter in what appeared to be a free role showed moments of brilliance including the pass that won the penalty.

Smith kept the midfield ticking over. I thought we were going to get over-run early on but he was smart in the tackle and on the ball.

Dayton was the invisible man to me.

Montaño looked good in both halfs going forwards. They exploited the space behind him for both goals conceded. Took his goals superbly. Limped off at the final whistle.

McDonald disappointed me.

Rooney won the penalty but faded as the game progressed.

Byrne made us look more solid when he came on.

Schmelz showed some nice touches.

Clarke-Harris is a one footed beast who's efforts won us that game and should start based on what little I've seen.

Fitness wise I thought we finished the game stronger than our opponents. We created and took chances. The Mellor / Brown defensive duo is my big concern. But happy with what I've seen and keen to get down to Stevenage when I wasn't going to bother.

Very good going forward, especially Montano who was excellent, little bit shaky at the back, but I think playing Jose in midfield exacerbated that. Connor Brown played quite well at RB.

I'm a little bit worried about how Montano ended up holding the top of his thigh/ bottom of his arse in the last minute though. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Was decidedly unimpressed with the way they let Vaughan go off, IMO, they shouldn't have let him walk off. But that's more of an issue for Hudds than us.

Brown tried one ridiculous challenge that would have been a red in a proper game. I thought we looked suspect down his side first half and don't think he gave much going forwards.

I thought Grounds looked a bit one paced and their number seven exploited us down the left second half.

Mellor looked at fault for their first and his back pass early on was a shocker. We need an alternative at centre back.

Tarky read the game well and was very vocal. Got on the end of a couple of set piece headers where he'd have been better heading back across goal than trying to score, but he was a threat.

Baxter in what appeared to be a free role showed moments of brilliance including the pass that won the penalty.

Smith kept the midfield ticking over. I thought we were going to get over-run early on but he was smart in the tackle and on the ball.

Montaño looked good in both halfs going forwards. They exploited the space behind him for both goals conceded. Took his goals superbly. Limped off at the final whistle.

Clarke-Harris is a one footed beast who's efforts won us that game and should start based on what little I've seen.

Fitness wise I thought we finished the game stronger than our opponents. We created and took chances. The Mellor / Brown defensive duo is my big concern. But happy with what I've seen and keen to get down to Stevenage when I wasn't going to bother.

Sums it up almost perfectly for me.

I couldn't make the game due to work, so who were our stand out performers I presume Montano was one. Were we good value for the win etc.

Montano, Smith,Tarkowski, Rooney, Oxley my picks, no one played badly, Mellor did ok on the ground. but didn't deal well with crosses.

Same as I have said for the other friendlies, only today it was against higher placed opposition.........good in attack and midfield, but very weak at the back.

If we start with Mellor at the back, we will get torn a new arsehole. He is a decent midfielder, but he can't play at the back.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the match once again.

I am looking forward to this season, every week will be high scoring at both ends.

Agree with most of this, I think Mellor and Tarky were both a little week dealing with crosses ad their awareness to opposition around them was poor. Was glad to see Tarky being a bit aggressive going for headers and even happy him giving away a free kick or two as I didn't know he had this in him...always appears to be too nice to be a class CB.

Definitely need a CB in as priority...if we cant get one in for Stevenage it would have to be Byrne and Tarky for me.

I thought Dayton did OK, there wasn't much down his side but he showed some neat retention of the ball when others would have panicked and thrown in a hopeless cross. This are the types of things that win you games and go un noticed by some fans. He very rarely gave the ball away and yet did nothing spectacular during this game...

Montano was stand out man for me, his technique and ability is championship easily. Lets hope Johnson keeps his mentality as he clearly as in pre season and keeps him level headed as this is the only thing that could let him down IMO.

JCH added another neat assist to his tally which makes 3 assists, 2 goals, 2 penalty wins in 4 games and 15 minutes which is ositive in my book. I think he would get the nod over Mcdonald on Saturday for me but I can understand that Johnson may see him as a great player to throw on with 30 minutes to go and terrorise tired defenders,

From LJ's post match interview it almost seems to be that he has conceded defeat in trying to bring in a centre half and that he's going to use his current squad?

Strange how the Latvian hasn't featured in the last 3 friendlies - despite the centre back concerns, whats' going in with him, surely 30 minutes a game would have been more useful to assess his capabilities than having him sat on the bench ?

Same applies to the forgotten Belezika.

Edited by BP1960

From LJ's post match interview it almost seems to be that he has conceded defeat in trying to bring in a centre half and that he's going to use his current squad?

Just listened think you could be right...'ideally we would have brought in another before Saturday, but we haven't''

Sounds like he will mix it between Tarky and then either Byrne or Mellor alongside him depending on our opposition. Clearly referring to Mellor being better on the ball and Byrne being a clogger but Mellor lacking positional knowledge and aerial ability. Byrne could lose possession easily.

Byrne just edges it for me but still hope we can bring a loanee in

Just listened think you could be right...'ideally we would have brought in another before Saturday, but we haven't''

Sounds like he will mix it between Tarky and then either Byrne or Mellor alongside him depending on our opposition. Clearly referring to Mellor being better on the ball and Byrne being a clogger but Mellor lacking positional knowledge and aerial ability. Byrne could lose possession easily.

Byrne just edges it for me but still hope we can bring a loanee in

LJ should have sorted this out weeks ago, hopefully a lesson in management learned.

Strange how the Latvian hasn't featured in the last 3 friendlies - despite the centre back concerns, whats' going in with him, surely 30 minutes a game would have been more useful to assess his capabilities than having him sat on the bench ?

Same applies to the forgotten Belezika.

You've really got it in for this Latvian haven't you.

Montano, Smith,Tarkowski, Rooney, Oxley my picks, no one played badly, Mellor did ok on the ground. but didn't deal well with crosses.

Really ?

I worried about Tarky last year. This year, without the steadying hand that was Mvoto, I am doubly concerned. Was at total fault for their second goal. Lost possession whilst too far up the field and never recovered. If I see him wave both his hands in the air like a oil stained bird attempting flight one more time ........ Grrrr

For me, both Mellor and Tarky need replacing. Feel sorry for Mellor as what was a promising end to last season playing in his preferred role has been ruined.

I do think LJ has assembled what looks like to be a decent squad, with the obvious exception, however the lack of presence at the heart of our back 4 will undoubtably cost us.