I can't see us letting him go on loan so, Unless Laws wants him solely as part of the coaching set up it looks like he'll be staying and could be the reason we haven't moved for a CB..........

MANAGER Brian Laws says his summer of recruitment at Scunthorpe United is about to come to an end.

The arrival of striker Sam Winnall will be the Irons 10th and final signing of what has been a busy close season.

Brian Laws is delighted with the extent to which he has been able to recruit at Scunthorpe United.'

The Irons 23-man squad, a blend of young players promoted from the clubs Academy and experienced signings well-known to Laws, will be the one that starts the League Two season.

Following well-publicised budget cuts, Laws says the extent to which he has been able to wheel and deal this summer has surpassed expectations. Even his own.

I think I have stretched things quite well and I dont think I could stretch it much more. Laws told the Telegraph, when asked if there would be any more new faces before the Iron kick-off against Mansfield Town a week today, on August 3.

When Sam comes in, that will be it for now, however we have to be prepared to make changes if its not working.

Were much better on than we thought we would be (in terms of recruitment). Weve surpassed expectations in terms of the number of signings weve made.

Weve had to do some persuasion with certain players, but theres certainly some common-ground with the players weve worked with in the past.

Thats the reason things have happened so quickly they know wholl they be working with.

The fact we know the players very well means we also know what we can get from them.

Im delighted with the squad weve got, but the test will be in the coming weeks, particularly against Mansfield.

Having originally seemed to have a pivotal part to play in the assembly of a new-look squad, Scunthorpes plans to delve into the loan market are now on the back-burner.

Laws believes it is a big plus to have his squad sorted with more than a week to go to the start of the new campaign their first at this level in eight years.

Our thoughts, particularly at the end of last season, were that we would probably have to rely on it (the loan market) heavily, he said.

But really we want to work with our own players because we can get more out of them.

We knew if we were going to delve into the loan market wed have to do it pretty late.

The fact were not having to do that at the moment is excellent, but we will use the loan market, theres no question about that because it can be of benefit to clubs like ours.

I quite like Cliff. Sure, he's about as quick at the back as Stephen Hawkins would be if someone manhandled him, dumped him in a crumpled heap on the ground and ran off with his wheelchair. But I think whenever he's played at the back he's always done a pretty reasonable job. His experience and marshalling of the defence is probably going to be invaluable to us seeing we're seemingly not bothering with replacing Mvoto. Plus, he's not one for fannying about just inside the half-way line looking to pass to the :censored:ing goalkeeper (opposition centre foward just out of peripheral vision rubbing his hands with glee).

I'm not having a pop at Mellor but it was noticeable that when Cliff came on we settled things down, did the basics for 5mins then got back into the game. I'd suggest we wouldn't contribute much towards a loan players wages so there's not much benefit in losing Cliff if we don't have to lose his wage. Could be an asset to a young side.

If Cliff isn't going to play that much i think its best all round if we sort something out with him. If he isn't the right man for LJ's tactics as a first choice then he will hardly be any better rocking up after two months in the stiffs. I like the guy, he's a good pro and you know what he will give you. What's the point for him being here if Eddy or Belly might be ahead of him?

If Cliff isn't going to play that much i think its best all round if we sort something out with him. If he isn't the right man for LJ's tactics as a first choice then he will hardly be any better rocking up after two months in the stiffs. I like the guy, he's a good pro and you know what he will give you. What's the point for him being here if Eddy or Belly might be ahead of him?

Plenty. He's the type of experienced no-nonsense defender that we'd miss from squad if he were to go and, I believe, he's still helping out with the coaching. Who better to teach Mellor & Belezika the dark arts of defending as well as general positioning. Also, who better to teach Joksts about League 1 defending.

Plenty. He's the type of experienced no-nonsense defender that we'd miss from squad if he were to go and, I believe, he's still helping out with the coaching. Who better to teach Mellor & Belezika the dark arts of defending as well as general positioning. Also, who better to teach Joksts about League 1 defending.

I don't disagree, he is just the guy to tell a youngster when to drop off and when to knee in the bollocks. Just if that's why he is here we really do need another body in to be ready to play

We have belzika jokdts tarky byrne and seemingly mellor who can all play there. Unless one of the first 4 leave i highly doubt another will be coming in. 5 players for 2 positions is a luxury at our level and one i cant see the wage budget extending too.

However i do agree we need somethjng else there.

We have belzika jokdts tarky byrne and seemingly mellor who can all play there. Unless one of the first 4 leave i highly doubt another will be coming in. 5 players for 2 positions is a luxury at our level and one i cant see the wage budget extending too.

However i do agree we need somethjng else there.

At the meet the manager he did say that Belezika would proberly need to go out on loan to gain some experince.

said it before Cliff seems a top bloke to speak to. The type that would give any youngster the benefit of his knowledge even if said youngster was keeping him out the team. No pace at all but compensates with holding and down right cheating. Sometimes that fails, hence league one but I've upmost respect for him. If he had is Scunny dream job back I would be pleased for him and also LJ's funds back.

Cliff Byrne is precisely the type of player we need in the side if Johnson is serious about having this utopian side of swashbucklers. That sounds counter-intuitive, but Montano, Schmeltz, Dayton, Baxter et al WILL lose the ball in dangerous positions, and when that happens we WILL need someone at the back with the positional sense and leadership qualities that someone of Byrne's experience possesses.

Cliff Byrne is precisely the type of player we need in the side if Johnson is serious about having this utopian side of swashbucklers. That sounds counter-intuitive, but Montano, Schmeltz, Dayton, Baxter et al WILL lose the ball in dangerous positions, and when that happens we WILL need someone at the back with the positional sense and leadership qualities that someone of Byrne's experience possesses.

Considering he'll help with the coaching aswell, you'd think he'd be worth paying a premium for - it makes you wonder what kind of money he must be on if we need him off the wage bill so badly.

He's only 31.

Amazing isn't it. With that craggy mush and world-weary eyes, he looks about mid-40's.

Never let us down did Cliff. I'm amazed more fans didn't really take to him given the number one thing that us OAFC supporters get a bit moist in the undercrackers for is someone who gives it his all, no matter what the level of ability (see Cooksey, Garnett, Carss etc.)