Transfer funds

LJ said a short time ago the budget was spent and that we have no more funds to sign the CB he clearly wanted.

Barely 2weeks later we are suddenly in the market for 4 more players before the window closes on Monday. Now I know one or two youngsters have gone out on loan but they are only for a month and how can that possibly fund these transfers.

He says it's 50/50 as to whether Baxter stays or goes......I would say he is 100% gone and is the only way we would be able to fund such a move into the transfer market.

Either that or some new investment has come into the club from somewhere!

Edited by oafc1955

Maybe Corney has more money than he's letting on he has, the "We're Skint" quote might just be a smokescreen to get the best deal he can out of other clubs for players, it always seems to me when players are needed they are always delivered no matter who the manager is. For example Wabara and Baxter last season, how much do you think we're paying Adam Rooney and Baxter ?

When you're buying a car you don't tell the salesman what your budget is, you tell him what you're interested in and ask him what his best price is.

Do people want the club to spill the beans on everything, to the detriment of getting the best players for the money?

Any investment is irrelevant. The budget is basically 60% of our turnover and that was near the limit but sc had a meeting with the football league to clarify a few queries. Maybe the signings are a result of this meeting?

Lets remind ourselves that Corney's been in football over 10 years now. He's made mistakes but gained a hell of a lot of experience regarding wheeling and dealing with our budget and made a lot of contacts too.

For last few seasons we've magicked a few faces from somewhere when we're told the purse is empty. Same will happen this season.

Credit where credits due. Corney and Johnson could well prove to be the owner/manager solution we've been looking for but failed over the years with previous managers.

Corney does it every single year. Without fail. Every time corney warns against the budget - expext new signings. For a club our size we've always had a very healthy budget. I think we're seeing how far Johnson can make a solid budget go. Compare our squad with this time last year. .

Our transfer and wage budget is fixed relative to income; but our income isn't fixed. Maybe the fact that Port Vale brought over 1000 fans to us means that because the club hadn't necessary thought they would bring that many we've got some additional money on top of our estimated budget.

Hmm I don't know, we've just signed a RB today in Lanzoni and have Byrne on the books as well as Winchester coming back. My guess would possibly be a centre half or a CM of some sorts, but I'm just stabbing in the dark.

At almost 6' 3" I would say Lanzoni is essentially a centre back who do a job at right back if needed.

More likely to be a quick right back to cover for Brown's injury.

Edited by BP1960

Corney does it every single year. Without fail. Every time corney warns against the budget - expext new signings. For a club our size we've always had a very healthy budget. I think we're seeing how far Johnson can make a solid budget go. Compare our squad with this time last year.

Last season's squad before end of transfer window;

Gk: Cisak & Bouzanis

Defence: Brown, Byrne, Tarky, M'voto, Grounds

Midfield: Croft, Millar, Furman, Wes, M'changama, Montano, Hughes, Mellor, Winchester

Forwards: Slew, Simpson, Smith, Taylor

This season;

GK: Oxley & Coleman

Defence: Brown, Byrne, Tarky, Lanzoni, Grounds, Mills, Joksts

Midfield: Dayton, Schmeltz, Montano, Smith, Wes, Rodgers, Mellor, Millar, Winchester, Rusnak

Forwards: Rooney, Clarke-Harris, Macdonald & Philliskirk

Only goalkeeper looks to be weaker, defence is debatable due to the loss of M'voto & hardly anyone seeing the new CB play. Midfield & Attack is a lot stronger though compared to this time last year & the possibility of another couple of signings still to come in before end of the window...

Edited by RobOAFC

Any investment is irrelevant. The budget is basically 60% of our turnover ant that was near the limit but sc had a meeting with the football league to clarify a few queries. Maybe the signings are a result of this meeting?

You have to remember that 150k for Baxter is a huge increase to the turnover plus his 160 to 200k in salary adds a lot back into the pot