Latics 1-1 Orient post-match reaction thread

Exactly, Leyton Orient, club similar in size & stature to ourselves, no doubt similar budgets too yet just because they've had a decent start to the season our fans appear to be in awe of them, it's an embarrassing attitude.

I know what you are trying to say, but you have made the same point on numerous occasions on this thread, people are not going to start agreeing with you because you keep banging on about it. It is not an acceptance of mediocrity, it is an acceptance of reality, in 12 months time it might be us who have had the same start as Orient and then other teams forums would read the same as ours. Most can see the work in progress, it looks a whole lot better than 12 months ago IMO.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No - 'anyone' wouldn't have taken a point before kick off. I wouldn't. I said before the game this would happen, that we'd draw & people would be jizzing over the fact we took a point off top of the league! Boringly predictable.

Actually, I must be anyone as I did predict a draw on the subscription league. They are top of the league for a reason, and for us it just ain't happening. But I'll take a point.

And I don't jizz as I am a lady you know.

I am enjoying watching the team but it's getting to the stage were points and clean sheets matter.

I'm not in awe of orient . It must be remembered that slade has been given time there and didn't have to make wholesale changes as Lj did this summer . Orient have had a settled side for 18 months now and it shows . With the majority of our players on two year contracts I believe we can have a push next season . This season is about implementing ljs style and consolidation for me . Anything above where we finished last season is a bonus for 13/14 .

Actually, I must be anyone as I did predict a draw on the subscription league. They are top of the league for a reason, and for us it just ain't happening. But I'll take a point.

And I don't jizz as I am a lady you know.

I am enjoying watching the team but it's getting to the stage were points and clean sheets matter.

The clean sheets will happen when the jizzing stops

We were ok yesterday but it's a valid point overall. There's something sad about us seeing a 1 all against Orient as a good result. It's not to say it wasn't a decent result/performance but it's an indictment of where we are as a club.

I was talking to a mate at the game about when Orient knocked us out the FA (in about 92?) and it was seen as a Giant Killing.

Things change in football but it doesn't stop it being sad.

We were ok yesterday but it's a valid point overall. There's something sad about us seeing a 1 all against Orient as a good result. It's not to say it wasn't a decent result/performance but it's an indictment of where we are as a club.

I was talking to a mate at the game about when Orient knocked us out the FA (in about 92?) and it was seen as a Giant Killing.

I was at that game, freezing cold, new overcoat that didn't work, 4-2 AET - now that was sad!

We lost to Orient in the FA Cup 3rd round in 1986. We had not won a game for 3 months I seem to recollect. It was the darkest point before the dawn. Linighan , Irwin , and Paul Jones arrived and the rest of the decade was a magical time.

Paul Jones was quality, cultured centre half.

I was at that game, freezing cold, new overcoat that didn't work, 4-2 AET - now that was sad!

Not as sad as landing on the night of the game after being on holiday and phoning Latics Clubcall (for about £20 a minute) from a phone-box near the luggage conveyor belt, to find out the score!

Fair point but the term giant killing does not focus on the size of the club it is used to describe lower league teams knocking out higher positioned opponents. Apart from the very top and very bottom the rest of the teams will switch places over time.

There is absolutely nothing sad about being pleased with the performance against the unbeaten league leaders in league 1. Size of club has absolutely nothing to do with league form. If it did on our crowds we would be in the basement by now I am sure.

If the best ppl can do to criticise yesterday's game is keep treading (same person?) the 'it's a bad day to be pleased at drawing against Orient' then that really is testament to the players' efforts.

How embarrassingly pathetic.

You don't have a divine right to beat, or expect to beat, anyone.

You think PL teams towards the bottom draw with Swansea and then bemoan being pleased about it as they were on the brink of going out the league a decade ago.

Ask Grimsby Town and Luton Town about their thoughts of playing some of their non-league counterparts, fair play.

But times change for god's sake.

And Latics and Orient are in the same f'n league. What right do we have, with a three-sided ground and a life sentence in L1 (rather that than implosion a la Stockport, Portsmouth etc) to adopt the 'big club' we should be beating them attitude. It's working well for the Blades isn't it.

Orient are top of the league on merit and are unbeaten. Anyone that would slam taking a point against them before the game should lock themselves in a room - that's not the same as saying you'd accept us playing for a draw. And like we would, we hadn't drawn a game this season until yesterday!

It's encouraging that the players produced that performance against a team flying high and full of belief. Once they equalised, we understandably dipped given the shocking nature of the goal and they understandably lifted their game massively - most would have expected them to go on and win it, with the run they're in they'd have smelt the three points. We deserve credit for showing the character to keep them out, especially given that our defence hadn't kept a clean sheet yet.

We dominated for a good hour so would have deserved the win, but in the context of that goal, their position and form, and their resurgence - it's a good point.

If we just want to slam every positive reaction when we get a result against other teams in this division - even ones that are top of the league and unbeaten ffs! - then why do we bother on here...

Edited by IceStationLatic

If the best ppl can do to criticise yesterday's game is keep treading (same person?) the 'it's a bad day to be pleased at drawing against Orient' then that really is testament to the players' efforts.

How embarrassingly pathetic.

You don't have a divine right to beat, or expect to beat, anyone.

You think PL teams towards the bottom draw with Swansea and then bemoan being pleased about it as they were on the brink of going out the league a decade ago.

Ask Grimsby Town and Luton Town about their thoughts of playing some of their non-league counterparts, fair play.

But times change for god's sake.

And Latics and Orient are in the same f'n league. What right do we have, with a three-sided ground and a life sentence in L1 (rather that than implosion a la Stockport, Portsmouth etc) to adopt the 'big club' we should be beating them attitude. It's working well for the Blades isn't it.

Orient are top of the league on merit and are unbeaten. Anyone that would slam taking a point against them before the game should lock themselves in a room - that's not the same as saying you'd accept us playing for a draw. And like we would, we hadn't drawn a game this season until yesterday!

It's encouraging that the players produced that performance against a team flying high and full of belief. Once they equalised, we understandably dipped given the shocking nature of the goal and they understandably lifted their game massively - most would have expected them to go on and win it, with the run they're in they'd have smelt the three points. We deserve credit for showing the character to keep them out, especially given that our defence hadn't kept a clean sheet yet.

We dominated for a good hour so would have deserved the win, but in the context of that goal, their position and form, and their resurgence - it's a good point.

If we just want to slam every positive reaction when we get a result against other teams in this division - even ones that are top of the league and unbeaten ffs! - then why do we bother on here...

You've taken this point out of context and decided to turn it into an opportunity to accuse Latics fans of moaning again which, in my opinion, is equally pathetic. The feedback on here from yesterday has been very positive.

I think 15+ years in this division has taught us we definitely don't have the right to beat anybody...but it would be nice to beat somebody sooner rather than later.

Oh and, for the record, Crewe at home ended 1-1....

Edited by JoeP

To be fair if it was a choice of seeing Orient at the top of the League end of season rather than Wolves or Sheff United i be happy. Remember under Dickov when we beat them 3-1 at there place they where bottom of the league and most there fans (this still being September) accepted where down and out. Not bitter so was chuffed when they stayed up and after Brentford my 2nd favourate away trip in this league.

Back to the game thought we where the better team and should of won a good point but need to start turning these home draws into wins.

Blurry, but it looks like they're both on the 6 yard line when Batt touches the ball.behsid.png

That undermines this weekend's officiating conspiracy theory.

(I must have a word with o4u Jr about his slouched posture in the key behind the goal ballboy position there).

You've taken this point out of context and decided to turn it into an opportunity to accuse Latics fans of moaning again which, in my opinion, is equally pathetic. The feedback on here from yesterday has been very positive.

I think 15+ years in this division has taught us we definitely don't have the right to beat anybody...but it would be nice to beat somebody sooner rather than later.

Oh and, for the record, Crewe at home ended 1-1....

Very true. Totally forgot about Crewe!

But you've totally missed my point.

I was being ironic about what very little moaning has taken place - because of the good performance - and the few comments that there were had to resort to using a rather ludicrous argument.

Didn't go yesterday but just seen the goals : was Winchester playing Batt onside...

The OS said the ref and his assistant maintained that Batt didn't get a touch to Lisbie’s wayward goal attempt. The implication being that they knew he was in an offside position but did not touch the ball. The fact that he’s been credited with the goal proves the officials wrong.

The OS said the ref and his assistant maintained that Batt didn't get a touch to Lisbie’s wayward goal attempt. The implication being that they knew he was in an offside position but did not touch the ball. The fact that he’s been credited with the goal proves the officials wrong.

Surely they can see he's blocking Oxley's view?