Defying medical ailments to watch Latics

I woke up in the middle of the night with my right eye hurting like hell and god knows what pouring out of it. A visit to the lovely people at Rochdale's Urgent Care centre today has confirmed that I have an eye infection. Sensible option would be to sit at home and take it easy as I fly back to Australia tomorrow. NO WAY am I missing this match today though, gimpy eye or not! I might be in pain and squinting from the Chaddy End but I really want to go to this match!

Anybody else ever defied medical ailmets (more serious than this!) in their desperation to watch Latics?

Edited by perfectOzblue

Two days after a TIA (mini stroke) I defied all advice including a very pissed off wife's to watch us in a glorious 0-0 draw v Yeovil under Penney. Even stupider I was at the Valley a week later. I should have been resting and it probably set me back weeks, it was my way of dealing with it. Wake up call was at Elland Road for the Tri Natiions final about five weeks later (I did give the beer a rest for nigh on 3 months though) when it hit me properly of how serious matters could have been. Took a break from away games after that and promised the missus I would start behaving.

Not quite the same but have I imagined that over the tannoy once there was an announcement for some chap to go to the hospital as his wife was in labour. Followed by another one. Then another. Then 'Can Mr Chap PLEASE attend the hospital where your wife has given birth to your son.'

Broke my ankle playing football about 9 years ago.Had to have it pinned with metal plate and was in plaster for quite a while.Was off work for 7 months but it didn't stop me going to the games on crutches,even to the cold Tuesday night games in winter with a Latics bobble hat covering my frost-bitten toes through the cast.

Spent 12 months out of 18 on crutches, often double crutches due to hip problems, still went on a regular basis. Fairly certain I went not long after having a Deep Vein Thrombosis in my leg which had given me a small pulmonary embolus (blood clot in my lung). I remember the announcements about so Mr so and so could attend hospital as his wife was in labour on more than one occasion in the pinch-me years, couldn't tell you the games though.

Being present at the birth was a complete waste of time.

I stayed safely at the top end eating toast and drinking tea while some machine beeped and Mrs o4u made grunting noises.

Baby pops out and, in a roomful of medical professionals, I'm asked if I'd like to cut the cord. NHS cuts, I assume - do your own surgery.

I'd rather have been at the match.

I did then carry the newborn o4u Jr to the window and show him Boundary Park. Poor sod has been cursed ever since.

I once got off my sick bed to watch us lose 3-0 away against Tranmere in the League Cup. I think it was1993.

I'd been in bed for three or four days with the flu but felt "well" enough to travel in the hope that we would win and I would be cured. I wish I hadn't bothered!

Beat this!

Diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma just after the 09 season had started, was advised that shouldn't be exposed to cold, germs etc. My missus contacted the club and they allowed me to go in the exec seats and club lounge (thanks Judith from the box office and Mr Hardy) after I persuaded her and my mum if I put lots of layers on I'd be fine.

Don't know which was worse that season the chemo or Dave Penny's style of play!

Beat this!

Diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma just after the 09 season had started, was advised that shouldn't be exposed to cold, germs etc. My missus contacted the club and they allowed me to go in the exec seats and club lounge (thanks Judith from the box office and Mr Hardy) after I persuaded her and my mum if I put lots of layers on I'd be fine.

Don't know which was worse that season the chemo or Dave Penny's style of play!

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner. I hope everything is OK now?

Had a total knee replacement last January the Monday before the Liverpool game, Much as I tried to convince others there was no way I was allowed to go to that game.

I did however get to the Everton replay at Goodison. Must admit that the stewards found me a fantastic seat pitchside and for a while considered using crutches for other future games

Bloody hell it was a long painful walk from where the coach was parked to the ground but managed to get back to "the local" for a few pints afterwards

Pales into insignificance following Vivache but in the spirit of Pythons "4 yorkshiremen" sketch, reet then: I was diagnosed with Parkinson's two years ago, split up after knowing my ex for 25 yrs last year, lost car and live in Leeds (ok not really an ailment but you'd hate me to say its okay place to live!!). Will drag myself (increasingly literally!) to see Oldham as long as I can. For a couple of hours despite how we play or even the result, ieverythibg else in life disappears. Who knew the team, the club, the feckin ground and being surrounded by tics could be a temporary cure!!!

Tore my ankle ligaments the day before an away trip to MK Dons a couple of seasons ago. I couldn't even get onto the coach, nevermind it being a :censored:ty little minibus type one where I couldn't fit my leg under the seat. Then had to watch us lose 5-0 at one of the most horrible grounds to watch football in the country!

Ah well, at least the seats were comfy eh.

(Pale's into insignificance against some of these though!!!)

Had proper can't get out of bed Flu for the Everton game in 08. Got hammered on strong polish larger and then did quite a lot of singing at the match. Think I managed to prolong recovery from the illness somewhat.

In '06 I broke my ankle playing 5-a-side and went to a pre-season friendly with a below the knee cast and crutches.

Had a heart operation in 2005, missing Huddersfield away having already paid for it. being 15 at the time and still in school. Anyway had to have 3 month off school to take it easy (missing coursework ect). Anyway was at Latics a week after sat in the chaddy end! On the plus side Got a visit off David eyres organised and he turned up at my house with gifts (including a refund for missed Huddersfield trip) and had a chat... Top bloke!

:censored:ing hell. You're all making me feel a bit of a fanny. My feet were cold yesterday so I decided not to go...

A mate of mine went to A&E earlier this year because her foot felt cold. They told her off for wasting their time and sent her home.

Three weeks later she had to have her leg amputated.

Hope your feet have warmed up.