BT Sport take Champions League rights

Itv Digital.

Setanta.

It's a bold move by BT.

My concern is that by trebling what ITV / Sky pay it just throws even more money at the continent's richest clubs.

UEFA should use the majority of the money to develop lower league / grass roots facilities across Europe. But they won't.

The best thing about this, it means less time for Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend on TV, in fact what with the BBC getting the FA Cup back, most football fans will only have to put up with them for England games and major international tournaments. Whilst I used to enjoy his commentary a few years ago, it means less time for Clive "one night in Barcelona" Tyldsley too

Is it just me that cant see how BT can be making any money with this. Lets look;

You pay for broadband £12 a month the get all this for free.

With paying the wages of the 10 million staff around the world, mantaining phone and internet lines plus now £900 for the rights it just looks to me that before they even show a champions league match it will be another ITV digital and our phone and broadband bills going through the roof.

Is it just me that cant see how BT can be making any money with this. Lets look;

You pay for broadband £12 a month the get all this for free.

With paying the wages of the 10 million staff around the world, mantaining phone and internet lines plus now £900 for the rights it just looks to me that before they even show a champions league match it will be another ITV digital and our phone and broadband bills going through the roof.

What's free today won't be free tomorrow.

What's free today won't be free tomorrow.

Exactly, the first one is free (to get you hooked), the second one costs you.

Plus whilst BT are offering their sports channels for free, it is only free for some customers and the prices of their other services, eg line rental have gone up, or are going to go up.

I've never given Murdoch any money. I've got BT Sport - watching FSV Mainz 05 v Eintracht Frankfurt on ESPN at the moment.

It's clearly not about football, or at the very least not in the best interests of the sport. Sky make about £50 a month (£600yr) from each customer: there's 11m customers (of which 7m are sports subscribers) in the UK which is about £6.6bn a year - BT wants some of the action. Sky pay £760m a year for live Prem League rights and earn about £300m a year selling licenses to pubs & clubs (20,000 paying an avg of £15k yr each, according to their own trade association) even before a single home subscription is sold. BT fancy a piece of that.

My interpretation of BT's move is that it wants a slice of the subs and by hacking away at the legs of Sky's sporting portfolio, it'll get that - a staw poll conducted yesterday suggested that 60% of Sky subscribers would drop their packages if they lost the Premier League rights; it's just all bad news for Sky - it should be good news for the consumer, but I doubt it.

My interpretation of BT's move is that it wants a slice of the subs and by hacking away at the legs of Sky's sporting portfolio, it'll get that - a staw poll conducted yesterday suggested that 60% of Sky subscribers would drop their packages if they lost the Premier League rights; it's just all bad news for Sky - it should be good news for the consumer, but I doubt it.

My interpretation is that Sky, having offered Sky On Demand free with Sky broadband, took a lot of business from BT who then introduced free sport to those who have their BT Infinity broadband to get these customers back.

The price of the football to the consumer might not go up as true competition should reduce prices and it will probably continue to be 'free' for BT Infinity customers, but the price of broadband may sneak up a little as they inevitably pay higher prices for more rights to compete with Sky.

Although I do of course dislike Murdoch, Sky Atlantic and Sky 1 are bloody good channels!

I don't think it is anything to do with football, it is about the broadband and future internet services. BT are a very, very big fish and can afford to write off any losses accrued by their Sport adventure.

What they want to achieve is maintain and grow market share in the comms business and are using sport as a carrot. BT own most of the telecoms backbone that Sky, Virgin et al operate on, if BT can have a decent TV offering too then less people will switch to Sky and Virgin for their cabled services. It was the football TV that kept Sky going in the early days, without that killer product there would have been long gone by now, looks to me like BT are just copying Sky's strategy and using their spending power to use that strategy against Sky.