Real 6 pointer on Sunday v Bradford

some latics fans believe every game is a '6 pointer'

That would be me! Its not just the points you win its the points you deny others. They are 7 points ahead of us, if we win they are 4 points ahead. If they win they are 10 points ahead. the difference being 6. But then again we could draw!

Is a draw a no pointer?

Ha!! Sometimes yes sometimes no. If somebody is above you then it's not that good, but if theyre below you it can be ok because they dont catch up! As long as every other game is a draw.

All we need to do is win every game and hope every other game ever is a draw, thats all we need.

Ha!! Sometimes yes sometimes no. If somebody is above you then it's not that good, but if theyre below you it can be ok because they dont catch up! As long as every other game is a draw.

All we need to do is win every game and hope every other game ever is a draw, thats all we need.

Now I am confused, does this mean as long as we win we are ok!

Watched Bradford v Coventry on tv recently. Bradford seemed to rely on banging the ball forward for strikers to use their pace.

Not a great deal of fluent football but they score goals.

Two things I took from that game:

Coventry front two are a threat

Bradford front two are a threat

The difference is that Coventry played through the middle while Bradford did seem to play a long ball game - so we will need to be aware of that.

If I was picking the team for Sunday...

Oxley in the nets - a centre back pairing of Tarkowski and Grounds with Lanzoni on the right and Plummer at left back - middle two of Wes and Smith - two wide men of Dayton (Winchester if Dayton not fit) and JCH - Philliskirk in the hole and McDonald up top.

so probably good job that I'm not picking the team for Sunday!

The difference is that Coventry played through the middle while Bradford did seem to play a long ball game - so we will need to be aware of that.

Oxley in the nets - a centre back pairing of Tarkowski and Grounds with Lanzoni on the right and Plummer at left back - middle two of Wes and Smith - two wide men of Dayton (Winchester if Dayton not fit) and JCH - Philliskirk in the hole and McDonald up top.

If Bradford do play the long ball game those hoofing the ball must be quickly closed down, did you notice which players in particular hoofed it the most ?

Edited by BP1960

Bradford will come with a game plan, which is to turn the Latics back 4, the result will depend on how this tactic is handled.

Bradford will come with a game plan, which is to get it as directly as possible to Hanson, with Wells running off him. Jones & Doyle to kick people in midfield, and Bates & McCardle to kick people in defense. What they will do will not be pretty. It will not be for the purests, and it will be direct / long / hoof < delete as per stance>

What we have to do is not let them dictate the game by their style. We have to keep true to our plans. Turns into a direct game, whicj they play week in; week out - we'll lose.

Play as we can, with the high tempo pressing and pace in the final third, and we'll give them problems.

Be interesting viewing - beauty and beast stuff.

Lets see who triumphs...

If Bradford do play the long ball game those hoofing the ball must be quickly closed down, did you notice which players in particular hoofed it the most ?

Erm,

Darby, McCardle, Bates, Merridith, Doyle, Jones, Thompson. The only ones who dont are Kyle Reid, Hanson and Wells - and thats by default as they play highest up.

Its direct stuff. Very, very direct stuff BP.

Jonathan Grounds is not a centre half, he is a quality full back and it should be left that way. In my opinion a good eleven would be: Smith Tarky Matteo Grounds, with Rodgers and Wes in the centre, Dayton and Sid on the wings and Philliskirk and Charlie Mac up front.

We are 14th. if (big if) we beat Bradford then we will be 4 points behind them, with a game in hand.

As a note of caution.

We are 5 points of relegation.

We have lost away to all the teams we have played currently above us ( I know we are at home). 5 games in total

Positively

We have only lost at home to 1 team above us (the aberration of Walsall) 4 teams played.

We are on an excellent run

No it isn't!

No, I think it will be more targeted to the flanks then get early balls across.

So we cut the supply to the wingers?

Surely though it's about imposing our high tempo passing game on them whereby we dominate possession and starve Hanson and Wells of service. They will come to press us so we must show courage on the ball and our ball players must show courage and discipline if they are targeted.

So we cut the supply to the wingers?

Surely though it's about imposing our high tempo passing game on them whereby we dominate possession and starve Hanson and Wells of service. They will come to press us so we must show courage on the ball and our ball players must show courage and discipline if they are targeted.

So, we show courage then!