Two new signings expected today

I feel the same as you there Harry - I'd rather it be left, but we are getting a bit thin on the ground so I understand it. I know it will probably be a couple of kids, but I hope there is a bit of experience (like Mills was).

We don't want a scenario with the kids "not being ready".

Mellor is not good enough, full stop. We have been short in midfield since day 1.

Korey needs some help in there and its been proven after that Shrewsbury first half hour, Rodgers is not the solution to replace Wes

Mellor's been perfectly fine since getting another go after Rotherham hasn't he?

Yet Rodgers ran the show v Notts County, was superb at Wolves. Granted he wasn't great at Shrewsbury yet still played the ball of the season in setting Charlie Mac up to equalise.

Struggling to understand why Mellor is not good enough, his block changed the game the other night. It took him a while to get into the game (like most of his mates) after that he put a decent shift in despite playing out of position and having allergic to defending Sid in front of him and before that a limping Dayton. Imo Mellor is the best long range passer at the club. Next game he plays watch and you'll see.

6 unbeaten and we still have to pick out scapegoats, no wonder I only occasionally post on here these days. It's like an online Main Stand Paddock.....

Mellor's been perfectly fine since getting another go after Rotherham hasn't he?

Not at Shrewsbury. Very suspect . Korey had to have words of encouragement with him after two howlers of poor distribution and positioning.

After Joe Jacobson got injured Shrews rejigged and moved their right winger to centre . That eased the pressure on Mellor a bit but he was still unsure all the first half.

After the break he looked steadier but still has a heavy first touch.

No scapegoating I'd love him to be as consistently good as he has shown in some performances. Still a work in progress .

Edited by LaticsPete

Mellors problem for me is he has not had a settled position.

He started poorly on tuesday. Didn't get tight enough. But - I thought he grew into the game well and had a good 2nd half. He certainly wasn't the only one to start poorly. Tarky and Grounds started like they had never seen a football before so Mellor was not alone.

A left sided winger/defender and a central midfielder according to Matt Chambers.

I'd rather he left things as they are but he keeps demonstrating he knows what he's doing.

It's just a bit of strengthening now we've decided to push for promotion and enjoy decent cup runs. If we were aiming for mid-table, we probably wouldn't bother.

Yet Rodgers ran the show v Notts County, was superb at Wolves. Granted he wasn't great at Shrewsbury yet still played the ball of the season in setting Charlie Mac up to equalise.

Struggling to understand why Mellor is not good enough, his block changed the game the other night. It took him a while to get into the game (like most of his mates) after that he put a decent shift in despite playing out of position and having allergic to defending Sid in front of him and before that a limping Dayton. Imo Mellor is the best long range passer at the club. Next game he plays watch and you'll see.

6 unbeaten and we still have to pick out scapegoats, no wonder I only occasionally post on here these days. It's like an online Main Stand Paddock.....

I would never go in the Main Stand because of those moaners and I bow to your points Prozac as you travel away a lot, but I think, and the Shrews fans seemed to highlight this, our left back was terrible. It seems that we are all agreed that Jacobson's injury changed the game completely and took the pressure off Mellor. However I don't want our full back to crack under pressure, I want him to take the game to them and thus ensure that his winger has to spend time defending.

Sid as we know will not defend adequately but I have made my points re him under another thread, He should play and just attack, he is our best weapon, especially away and if we get a left back in to enable him to do so, good! Re Rodgers, if he was any good, he would be playing in place of Wes, not just cameo roles!

People said Petrasso wasn't needed and then it turned out Monty was injured. Petrasso may not have pulled up any trees but the cover was needed, we just didn't realise it.

Wes is made of glass and Smith has been used as a deputy right back. There's no harm in getting some cover in - we don't want the window closing and we're left without competition for places.

LJ said when he came in that he wanted players who can all play in more than one position and competition for places. I trust that he knows what he's doing.

I know, tickles me that people think he meant it.

The point is he did use his left foot rather than switching to his right, and it travelled a long distance, some can't kick a ball 2 yards with their 'wrong foot'.

Does anyone know of any reason he can't play left back ?

Edited by BP1960

The point is he did use his left foot rather than switching to his right, and it travelled a long distance, some can't kick a ball 2 yards with their 'wrong foot'.

Does anyone know of any reason he can't play left back ?

1. He's to soft.

2. Hes right footed.

3. He can't really tackle.

1. He's to soft.

2. Hes right footed.

3. He can't really tackle.

They said all that about Denis Irwin as a reason he was given free transfer by Leeds United, he turned out to be a decent left back at Manchester United some say.

With three long-term injuries and Mills' departure and a huge month of football ahead, i think it might be the time to bring in a couple of bodies.

Mellor needs to stop being so hesitant. His positional sense is poor, but it's the fact that he looks like a nervous wreck everytime he starts a games that is a major problem. He seems to lack confidence. Then, as the games progress he seems to settle. It's the same pattern. When does he stop being a kid needing experience and when does he become a reliable pro with a good left-foot?

Difficult balancing act for the manager.The clock is ticking.